F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > what did you do for your front license plate
Studio RSR

07-29-2015, 08:03 PM   #45
beto_L.A.
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossg01 View Post
The usmillworks seems to be popular in here. I'm thinking about getting it but I have the front PDC, for anyone who also has that, how has it been working for you? any problems?
go to USMILLWORKS website and watch the video. They explain how the bracket works when you have PDC.
good luck.
      07-29-2015, 08:40 PM   #46
snj49er
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '20 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshubert View Post
I don't use a front plate. Car looks terrible with it!
If you get stopped, just remember to keep both hands on the wheel.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/29/us/ohi...ng-indictment/
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2015, 03:57 AM   #47
syhaq88
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I have the US mill work tow hook. I feel that hook that connects it self to the bumper is too small. The license plate scratches my bumper. Well it becomes loose usually after I hit a big bump on the road, and once its loose, the plate scratches my front bumper.

Is the platypus or any of the other tow hooks longer then the US mill work? I was considering ordering from turner motorsport, but they dont have one that is compatible with Parking sensors.
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2015, 07:08 AM   #48
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

I completely understand not wanting the plate in the front as it is clearly uglier than not having it but I can't understand the idea of installing the plate but trying to avoid drilling holes.

I mean surely there is a psychologic effect (even if minor) of drilling holes in your bumper but I don't get why it is such a big deal. For those using tape and centering it, you still having the plate in the same place so it's no prettier than drilling the holes. And since you can't see the drilled holes, why does it matter? For those using the tow hitch in my opinion it just doesn't look right off centered. Why not just use the tape like they use to attached the euro plates during ED and center it?

I wish NY would drop the front plate requirement. These cars have such nice detailed front bumpers and the plate is an eye sore.
Appreciate 1
      07-31-2015, 12:18 AM   #49
Versipellis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F36 440i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post
I completely understand not wanting the plate in the front as it is clearly uglier than not having it but I can't understand the idea of installing the plate but trying to avoid drilling holes.

I mean surely there is a psychologic effect (even if minor) of drilling holes in your bumper but I don't get why it is such a big deal. For those using tape and centering it, you still having the plate in the same place so it's no prettier than drilling the holes. And since you can't see the drilled holes, why does it matter? For those using the tow hitch in my opinion it just doesn't look right off centered. Why not just use the tape like they use to attached the euro plates during ED and center it?

I wish NY would drop the front plate requirement. These cars have such nice detailed front bumpers and the plate is an eye sore.
I think it's more of an issue of, if they were to go to a different state without a front-plate being required, they can strip the plate and not be left with a bunch of ugly, unsightly holes. The tow hitch is pretty much perfect for that.
      07-31-2015, 07:37 AM   #50
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fshubert View Post
I don't use a front plate.
Neither did the guy who got pulled over for not having a front plate, and ended up shot by the University of Cincinnati Policeman.

Edit:

SNJ49ER beat me to it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj49er View Post
If you get stopped, just remember to keep both hands on the wheel.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/29/us/ohi...ng-indictment/
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 08:10 AM   #51
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versipellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post

I think it's more of an issue of, if they were to go to a different state without a front-plate being required, they can strip the plate and not be left with a bunch of ugly, unsightly holes. The tow hitch is pretty much perfect for that.
That's make sense. Didn't think of that.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 09:31 AM   #52
Thumper333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossg01 View Post
The usmillworks seems to be popular in here. I'm thinking about getting it but I have the front PDC, for anyone who also has that, how has it been working for you? any problems?
Did you not see this huge picture? LOL With the USMillworks and PDC equipped car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekcs View Post
Us Millworks
Attachment 1250172

Quote:
Originally Posted by znolo View Post
You can adjust the height so it does not change airflow. For 99% of us it wouldn't make any difference to engine cooling anyway.
It would make a massive difference for mine, the M-sport has a huge mouth to suck up air and dumps directly into the cooling module (AC cond, Radiator, etc). Not to mention for those cars without the wide open area airflow is ALREADY restricted by the bumper and grilles, putting another obstruction in front of that is actually worse. There's no way to put it low enough to clear air flowing to the cooling units and not have it get ripped off the second you go over a dip.

I actually prefer the asymmetric symmetry of the tow hook mount for our US style fat plates over the center mount. Only Euro plates look good mounted in the center. Even though I have to smile and laugh through the lame jokes from my buddy about how I just wish I had an Evo (with factory offset mount LOL), it's still worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syhaq88 View Post
I have the US mill work tow hook. I feel that hook that connects it self to the bumper is too small. The license plate scratches my bumper. Well it becomes loose usually after I hit a big bump on the road, and once its loose, the plate scratches my front bumper.
You need to make sure you install it correctly. If it's coming loose than it's not installed properly (or you have some defect in it and need to contact them for a replacement). The mount is on a swivel ball so you can position it however you need (angled to follow the flow of the bumper, or flat faced) and once secured it doesn't move.

I've had the USMillworks on my S3 for over a month, hit many bumps, 75mph limit on I25, the thing has not budged a millimeter.
2015 Audi S3 Misano Red | 19" Sport pack w/Mag Ride | B&O
1983 Porsche 944 All stock
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 09:55 AM   #53
pallymore
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi M Sport

Garage List
I use this:
http://skenedesign.com/FPBracket/index.shtml

it requires some drilling (insert lady screaming sound here) - but it's very minimal. You drill two tiny holes under the bumper - they are not visible if you decide to take it off.

I've had it on my car for about 2 years and I haven't see any issues yet after all those pot holes, high speed driving(shhhh...), and the heavy snow in winter.

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 11:38 AM   #54
murrays
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '02 325i, '15 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrred View Post
Zero issues.
US Milworks recommends the quick release and the "lightened" version for M Sport & PDC. Is that what people here purchased?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 02:45 PM   #55
Bkpk
Private
Rep
Drives: 335xi EB

can you guys believe it??!
I came to pick up my plates and dealer already filled holes on my front bumper
      07-31-2015, 09:47 PM   #56
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by murrays
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrred View Post
Zero issues.
US Milworks recommends the quick release and the "lightened" version for M Sport & PDC. Is that what people here purchased?
Yes but my pdc still go on
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2015, 01:39 PM   #57
fusion0389
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkpk View Post
can you guys believe it??!
I came to pick up my plates and dealer already filled holes on my front bumper
That happened to me once on a new Ford I bought several years ago, I refused to take delivery of the car. They ended up getting me a different one so it all worked out in the end. I went back to the same dealer a few weeks ago, their policy has changed and they only install front bumper bracket upon the request of the customer. I don't care if you're buying a Kia or a Ferrari, dealers should ask their customers about details like this that permanently deface the body of your car.
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2015, 08:29 PM   #58
mrred
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 Estoril Blue F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska///235i View Post
Yes but my pdc still go on
This is what I Ordered.

Item# 10 , Kit: Standard , Car: BMW 3-Series F30/31 sedan/wgn, M-Sport nose (2013+) WITH park sensors - P3S bolt

Installed it so it's not in front of any sensors and works great.
Appreciate 1