F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > F31 strange high pitch noise when raining
GetBMWParts

03-21-2024, 03:32 AM   #1
manee
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 320D 2012. automatic

F31 strange high pitch noise when raining

Hello everyone!

I have been bothered by a very annoying high-pitched sound that comes from the area of the windshield for a very long time (2 years or so).
So, when it's dry, the sound is never heard UNLESS I clean the glass and the speed is higher than 130 km/h (highway speed, 80mph).

So, if I just start the wipers (without water), there is no sound; if I just spray it briefly without activating the wipers, there is also no problem. As soon as the wipers start on the watered windshield, the sound appears, and when they stop, it lasts for a few more seconds (like until something dries or water comes out somewhere).

Of course, it's constantly heard in the rain at said speed. The sound is very high frequency and extremely irritating and squeaky. The windshield was replaced at dealership about 2-3 years ago (a stone cracked it) - but I can't connect it with this. Especially because I tried:

- Taping the entire windshield with duct tape all around (so the joint obviously isn't a problem, and it would be heard in dry conditions)
- Taping the wiper arm joints with the blade
- The wipers were replaced, the sound is the same (now they are Bosch Aerotwin if I'm not mistaken)

Somewhere on the internet, I saw that it could be the plastic at the bottom of the windshield on the outside (cowl), but again, according to the description, there should always be a sound, not connected to water... Or maybe there could be some opening on it or something that I didn't cover with tape. I really have no idea anymore...
An attempt at a video is here https://youtube.com/shorts/D5z5Dz1UXmA?feature=share, but the sound really needs to be amplified, and around 5 seconds, you can hear the high pitch sound start.

Anyi ideas? - Thank you
Appreciate 0