F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Auto/Start Stop
proTUNING Freaks

02-22-2012, 10:37 PM   #45
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
Or tap start with one finger and the disable button with the next
tap tap, nice and quick
Or the people here can get over their paranoia and not worry about the stop/start feature. It will work fine.
It's not paranoia of if it will work or not, it's just silly to have the engine, the heart if your car so to speak, shut off all by itself.

What about aging cars? How well does this system age? My 335 with 107000 miles is not often fond of starting, imagine doing it 15-20 times on the way to work.

Lastly, the fuel savings don't seem worth all this hassle. I read BMW projects a 3% savings? That's what, like 10 extra miles per tank?

I could keep going on and on and on. And I know it can be shut off every time you start the car, and luckily I drive my E90 in manual mode exclusively, so if I do decide to get a F30 this won't impact me, but it just seems silly and over the top. These are BMWs, not Prius' or priii, or what ever.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 01:50 AM   #46
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
It's not paranoia of if it will work or not, it's just silly to have the engine, the heart if your car so to speak, shut off all by itself.

What about aging cars? How well does this system age? My 335 with 107000 miles is not often fond of starting, imagine doing it 15-20 times on the way to work.

Lastly, the fuel savings don't seem worth all this hassle. I read BMW projects a 3% savings? That's what, like 10 extra miles per tank?

I could keep going on and on and on. And I know it can be shut off every time you start the car, and luckily I drive my E90 in manual mode exclusively, so if I do decide to get a F30 this won't impact me, but it just seems silly and over the top. These are BMWs, not Prius' or priii, or what ever.
Ferrari estimates the saving is 15% in traffic.

Like it or not, all Euro and many Japanese manufacturers are already or will shortly be installing the system in all their cars. Even Ford has it in certain models now.

Porsche, Ferrari, Mercedes,Renault, Kia, Mazda, Toyota, Fiat, VW,........... all have the system in some cars and will be putting it in many more soon
Most countries are committed to reducing carbon emissions, so support the system
      02-23-2012, 10:30 AM   #47
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I also have concerns about the longevity and reliability of "idle-off" devices, as stop-start is officially termed.

But we can't really ignore the savings that studies have recorded. An official paper from the EU which includes the data of many countries, reports savings for gasoline engines in the region of 8 - 10% for "idle -off" devices in city driving. Less for diesel, at about 5%.

Obviously each individual will have a particular driving environment, and report different results, but the guys in heavy/dense city traffic will be seeing the high figures, which the data suggests.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #48
Feanor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d Luxury 6MT

The difference in my 118D is huge. I get 45mpg in heavy traffic. That isn't far off from my long-term average of 50mpg, which isn't much affected by traffic as I am rarely stuck in it where I live.

Even if the difference was as little as 3%, which it's not in the city, that still represents a HUGE fuel saving when multiplied across millions of cars. As a hypocritical environmentalist, this is important to me - I may enjoy my modern toys but I don't like waste. As someone who doesn't like paying ridiculous fuel prices this is important to me as people using less fuel will bring its price down.

It's fair to be concerned about longevity once the car begins to have trouble starting when it reaches a certain age and I'd like to see an answer to that but our uninformed doubt alone isn't a reason not to implement the technology. As with all things, it's probably just a question of good maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 10:41 PM   #49
artin
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xdrive

just wana let you guys know i took my 328i to the dealership and they program it so the ASS default is off when you turn the car on and it doesn't effect your warranty in anyway because it isnt considered a mod, not to mention bmw authorizes this choice, so yeaaaaa
Appreciate 0