F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Upgrade HiFi speakers
Extreme Powerhouse

11-23-2014, 11:20 PM   #1
dragnet
Rep
Drives: First 3

Upgrade HiFi speakers

I've upgraded my Hifi by replacing the factory amp with JL XD800/8 with thanks to Technics for his harness. However, the upgrade bug has bit again and thinking to upgrade the speakers to do justification for the new amp.

I'm not a bass head and looking for quality rather than quantity so fronts would be a priority.

So after a week of research, I've narrowed it down to the following options:

1) Focal 100KRS components and leave the underseat subs as is. Just need to fabricate adapter to mount these. Cheapest at AUD$550.

2) Gladen One 201 - drop in solution that covers fronts and underseat subs. Cost a AUD$150 extra compared to focals.

3) Rainbow IL-C 8.3 BMW - also drop in but cost additional $300 compared to focals.

I'm from Australia and trying to keep the purchase to local shops with a shopfront due to fake stuffs being sold online.

Another problem is all the options aren't available for me to test them out as they're not sold in my state. I have to get them delivered from Sydney.

I'm more inclined to the focals and call it a day. What are your thoughts? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 03:08 AM   #2
GL888
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i F30 m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnet
I've upgraded my Hifi by replacing the factory amp with JL XD800/8 with thanks to Technics for his harness. However, the upgrade bug has bit again and thinking to upgrade the speakers to do justification for the new amp.

I'm not a bass head and looking for quality rather than quantity so fronts would be a priority.

1) Focal 100KRS components and leave the underseat subs as is. Just need to fabricate adapter to mount these. Cheapest at AUD$550.

2) Gladen One 201 - drop in solution that covers fronts and underseat subs. Cost a AUD$150 extra compared to focals.

3) Rainbow IL-C 8.3 BMW - also drop in but cost additional $300 compared to focals.

I'm from Australia and trying to keep the purchase to local shops with a shopfront due to fake stuffs being sold online.

Another problem is all the options aren't available for me to test them out as they're not sold in my state. I have to get them delivered from Sydney.

I'm more inclined to the focals and call it a day. What are your thoughts? Thanks.
Hi mate

I went down the path of 2x focal amps, and all focal upgrade on speakers.

I've done a write up on the install. Overall it's good, but I think they amp you've gone with has individual eq for each channel which mine is missing. Your setup with focals would sound amazing.

I'm in Sydney, just contact focal and they'll put you through to a dealer close to you.

Btw how much did the amp cost
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 03:28 AM   #3
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Try the Hertz EMV 100.5 mids, ET 20 tweeters and DX300 2-way crossovers as well: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1059063

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnet View Post

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 04:57 PM   #4
dragnet
Rep
Drives: First 3

The amp has gain and frequency cut off. Found a retailer with focals and hopefully he's got a setup I can listen to. They also have a BMW specific drop in - Focals IFBMW-S components. I wonder how they would compare.

How would you compare the Hertz and 100KRS Technic? I can only get them in 3-way here ESK163L.5 and the woofer can't fit...its 72mm depth.

I'll head to the shops this weekend and have a listen.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 05:06 PM   #5
GL888
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i F30 m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnet
The amp has gain and frequency cut off. Found a retailer with focals and hopefully he's got a setup I can listen to. They also have a BMW specific drop in - Focals IFBMW-S components. I wonder how they would compare.

How would you compare the Hertz and 100KRS Technic? I can only get them in 3-way here ESK163L.5 and the woofer can't fit...its 72mm depth.

I think you'll find the best option is to have an amp with eq and gain, cutoff.

This original factory amp has it's own eq so you will notice less good Eqing particularly on the stock woofer with your type of amp.

I would have gone done the path of dsp with xd800 but it's not
Available in australia.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 07:09 PM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnet View Post

Personally, unless a customer of mine wants it bad and got the budget, I do not suggest any component sets of more than $300 USD. These are 4" component sets after all, in OEM locations, using OEM wiring. So a $500+ 4" set not necessarily will be a price-relative sound improvement over a $300 set.

Actually, I have noticed that replacing the OEM tweeters and OEM filters only produces a more effective sound upgrade than replacing the whole OEM set.
Appreciate 1