F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Connect Universal Snap-In Adapter
GetBMWParts

07-22-2014, 03:31 AM   #1
ontheway
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 MSport 328i

Connect Universal Snap-In Adapter

Car arriving shortly and I ordered the extended bluetooth connectivity (SA 6NS) which I believe gives me mobile phone prep - all I need is a snap in adapter.

I like the look of the universal snap in adapter - http://mybmw.com.ua/wp-content/uploa.../PIDoc2254.pdf - since we have various different phones and it will give me another couple of high-amperage USB ports.

Part number 84 21 2 351 310

However - the documentation says: "The ConnectedDrive reconfiguration means that a base plate is only installed in the car with SA 6NS. This special equipment will be used from 03/2013 to 03/2014, depending on the car mode"

Does anyone know what this means or has anyone used the Universal snap in adapter?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 09:54 AM   #2
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

Welcome to ConnectedDrive documentation! That's the typical confusion you can expect. I'm not sure what that quoted statement means. But in all likelihood, you will get a base plate in your center console. This brings out the standard connections to the snap-in adapters.

That's the first I've seen of the universal micro-USB model. Cool looking, but the need is even less than the regular snap-in (which I do have). Yes, it does provide an additional port and a neat secure place for the phone. But it's not really "snap-in", is it? You actually have to connect the cable. With the other snap-ins, you literally pop the phone in and press down. It can be done eyes-free and one-handed. One thing to consider is that on a Summer day, it can get really hot inside the closed center console, especially when the device is being accessed and charged. On a couple occasions (hot 85+ F day) I've had my iPhone shutdown due to excessive heat...and the adapter has a little fan built in.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 11:42 PM   #3
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive18d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
Car arriving shortly and I ordered the extended bluetooth connectivity (SA 6NS) which I believe gives me mobile phone prep - all I need is a snap in adapter.

I like the look of the universal snap in adapter - http://mybmw.com.ua/wp-content/uploa.../PIDoc2254.pdf - since we have various different phones and it will give me another couple of high-amperage USB ports.

However - the documentation says: "The ConnectedDrive reconfiguration means that a base plate is only installed in the car with SA 6NS. This special equipment will be used from 03/2013 to 03/2014, depending on the car mode"

Does anyone know what this means or has anyone used the Universal snap in adapter?
please do a review once you get them coz I want to get it as well but I want to see if it's worth it Few things I want to clarify are:

1. Will this also fit for BMW X1
2. Phone size it can fit coz I will have to fit my HTC One (M8)
3. Does it really help with Signal boost?
4. Does it help in mobile network sharing through bluetooth with the boost in the signal?
5. If you have BMW Apps, can you play videos using this? Media snap in adapter lets you. I don't have BMW Apps but I want to know if this is possible if I get to retrofit BMW Apps in the future

I have been trying to find review on this but without any success and same is true for the centre console DVD I want to buy for my X1 . I came to your post through google trying to find something on this adapter as well. Thank you.

jaeezzy...
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 07:56 AM   #4
ontheway
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Should arrive with the car next week so I'll definitely share (also use a HTC M8).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeezzy View Post
please do a review once you get them coz I want to get it as well but I want to see if it's worth it Few things I want to clarify are:.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 08:33 AM   #5
bcornwellatl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post

What phone do you have? This is the universal plug (mini USB, so not compatible with Iphones or any phone that doesn't use mini USB). Also, depending on the phone you have, will depend on what "features" are available to you. Different phones have different Bluetooth capabilities that pair to the car... so just FYI...
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 05:17 PM   #6
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcornwellatl View Post
This is the universal plug (mini USB, so not compatible with Iphones or any phone that doesn't use mini USB).
MiniUSB and MicroUSB are different plugs. MiniUSB has almost disappeared on newer devices.

A couple of years ago, MicroUSB was adopted as a standard by almost every phone manufacturer but Apple. The idea was to reduce the amount of e-waste generated when people upgraded their phones and discarded their old wall warts.

I don't think the microUSB cables are hard-wired to the universal adapter. There are probably full size USB outputs, which means you could connect any USB cable, including an Apple Lightning cable.

However, the adapter might not put out enough current to charge some devices.

I'd really like to look at one to determine if there's enough room inside to modify it to hold a Qi-compliant inductive charger. It would be great if I could just stick my phone under the little clip and have it start charging wirelessly.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 12:46 AM   #7
KevinO
Warrior-Poet
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Apple also makes a Micro-USB to lightning adapter, so I wonder if this would work with an iPhone (given rumored new iPhones coming soon, a new cycle of waiting for a new cradle is likely around the corner).
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 01:05 AM   #8
M-Powa!
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Msport/ SQ5

I wish they made a snap in adapter for the HTC One M7. Just setting the phone in that plastic dummy plate this phone would be a perfect fit maxing out the top and bottom. I will admit however that plugging your phone in is pointless. The BMW Connected App is useless as it lack many features compared to the iphone version. So the only benefit is the car can read music off your phones memory. But to do this the phone cannot be connected via Bluetooth this means the car won't be able to receive phone calls. If you switch to Bluetooth mode you can receive calls but the car cannot read your SD card, you can only stream songs via bluetooth which means you have to select songs through your phone. Like I said pointless.

As a result my next phone has to be an iphone to gain any usage. I was just thinking of getting an old iphone 5 and tethering my rooted One to the iphone.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 01:45 AM   #9
ontheway
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
What phone do you have? This is the universal plug (mini USB, so not compatible with Iphones or any phone that doesn't use mini USB). Also, depending on the phone you have, will depend on what "features" are available to you. Different phones have different Bluetooth capabilities that pair to the car... so just FYI...
Quote:
What phone do you have? ...
Thanks. We have a few phones - I have a HTC at the moment. She has an iPhone of course. So what I was looking for was the flexibility. Plus even the iPhones change shape too often. Bluetooth is a given.

As mentioned - There is a small micro-usb to lightning adapter. I understand the snap in supports the full 2.1 amps - to be confirmed.

Also, one key feature was that it seems to have TWO micro usb cables - they appear to be different colours. Hoping that I can connect them simultaneously (for power at a minimum!).

Anyway - should find out next week.
Appreciate 0