F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > JL Audio 1000/5v2 and DLS UP4 install and review
Extreme Powerhouse

08-14-2014, 02:35 PM   #1
JP1906
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 328i and '12 640i

JL Audio 1000/5v2 and DLS UP4 install and review

Adding pictures.

Since I didn't see many detailed reviews of upgraded systems in the F30, I've decided to write a review.

I have a 2012 328i Modern line with the Hi-Fi system. This is the US spec 7 speaker system (1 center channel, 2 component speakers up front, 2 rear door speakers and 2 subs under the seats) and not the Harmon Kardon system.

I purchased (or had collecting dust in my garage) below:

(1) JL Audio XD 1000/5v2 (75 watts x 4 @ 4 ohms and 600 watts x 1 @ 2ohms)
(1) JL Audio 300/2 (150 watts x 2 @ 1.5 ohms - 4 ohms)
(1 set) DLS UP4 Component Speakers (80 watts RMS @ 4 ohms)
(1) JL Audio 10w7 custom box
(1) Technic harness
(3) RCA cables
(6) Female RCA adapters
(1) RCA Y adapter
(1) Distribution block (1 - 4 gauge in and (2) 4 - 8 gauge out)
(2) ANL fuses for the distro block
(2) Speaker ring adapters (this is needed b/c the F30 has 3 mounting holes and most speakers have 4; you can also purchase this from Technic or if you decide to buy the UP4, they come included with the speakers)

I'm not sure if I can plug a business on this forum without permission from the mods, but if you stay in the DC/MD/VA area, I went to Absolute Electronix in Gaithersburg, MD for the install. I started the install myself, but just couldn't find the time to complete it. Absolute did a great job, had reasonable pricing and installed using my supplied parts mentioned above (some shops will not install unless you purchase from them).

On to the install and review.

Connections:

*1000/5v2 (channels 1 & 2): DLS UP4 (replaced front speakers)
*1000/5v2 (channels 3 & 4): Rear factory speakers
*1000/5v2 (channel 5): JL Audio 10w7 subwoofer
*300/2: Under seat factory subwoofers
**Center speaker is disconnected
*Technic's harness

BTW, Technic's harness works flawlessly and connects directly to the snap in adapter in the trunk that's already connected to the factory amp. You simply unplug the lead adapter from the factory amp and plug this into Technic's harness. Since I have 2 amps and they cannot fit in the factory amp's location, I had to get the 6 female RCA connectors and 3 RCA cables to connect to the amps because they are mounted on my back seat. However, I believe the XD 600/6 (or Alpine PDX V9 or similar size amp) can fit in the factory amp's location, therefore no need for the additional RCA's or connectors if you're running only 1 amp that fits in the factory location.

Review:

The UP4's are a definite upgrade from the factory speakers. Since I still have the rear factory speakers connected, I can tell the difference (even though the rear speakers are not component speakers). The rear factory speakers are definitely louder on the JL amp, but I have them turned down slightly below the UP4's to blend well. The under seat subwoofers are more robust (punch and bassline) but they are barely holding on while connected to the 300/2. I have the gain turned down but this has been my hobby for almost 15 years and I know how a decent pair of 8 inch woofers should sound, and these are not it. My next upgrade will be replacing them with the Helix Match subwoofers or Gladens. Even though the UP4's have Silk dome tweeters, they seem bright to me, but I have noticed them toning down a bit as they are breaking in.

Overall, the sound is better, not the best I have ever owned (I've had Hertz, MB Quarts before Maxsonics bought them out, and other speakers), but for this upgrade, this set up is probably a 7 in my books. I give the factory system a 4. You can also look into the Morel 4" speakers if you're not interested in the UP4's.

Also, just some advice, if you're looking to upgrade, I would keep the under seat subwoofers powered to an amp. I contemplated disconnecting them, but 4" speakers up front will not give you the midbass you need...there will definitely be a gap b/w your highs and lows (unless you shell out money for a very expensive subwoofer that can play mids and lows great that reach into your cabin from the trunk).

I hope to have pictures up some time this week. Feel free to ask if you have any specific questions.

Last edited by JP1906; 08-27-2014 at 10:20 PM.. Reason: Added pictures
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 01:34 AM   #2
335icandy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 328dX Msport Estoril Blue

Thanks for the review! Awesome setup, and can't wait to see pics!

I'm interested in Focal factory replacements or Morels, and will definitely do underseat sub upgrades... curious if you think our BMW's need a sound processor like JBL MS-8 or Alpine, or Helix DSP's with time correction, adjustable crossover slopes, levels etc.... Also what do you lose if you disconnect the front center channel? I kind of like that idea, to enhance front soundstage.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 02:01 AM   #3
Sleepwalker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW F30 320d M-Sport

Looking forward to see the pictures. Great job
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 01:41 PM   #4
JP1906
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335icandy View Post

I'm interested in Focal factory replacements or Morels, and will definitely do underseat sub upgrades... curious if you think our BMW's need a sound processor like JBL MS-8 or Alpine, or Helix DSP's with time correction, adjustable crossover slopes, levels etc.... Also what do you lose if you disconnect the front center channel? I kind of like that idea, to enhance front soundstage.
No problem, figured I'd put a review up just in case folks were looking to do something similar.

I haven't heard the Focal factory replacements or the Morel 4", but they should be comparable or better than the UP4s (especially the Morel tweeter). I've been tuning my set-up by ear for a couple of days now because the fronts were fatiguing to me; they are beginning to calm down now either due to my tuning and/or them breaking in.

For the best sound, I do believe an MS-8/Alpine/Mosconi will help. Regarding the center channel, I was not actually a fan. It seems to get in the way with music. Personally, I felt I didn't lose much removing it, with the exception of phone call quality. The quality isn't that bad, but I can tell there is a difference. I also have the Left to Right Fade in the iDrive adjusted about 3 clicks to the Right, as the tweeters are very forward and the soundstage was not centered. By adjusting 3 clicks over, it seems to be more centered now (again, could be a personal preference or something wrong with my set-up). My install guy did suggest purchasing the small Alpine amps (I believe it's the KTP models) and connecting my Center channel....I'm in no hurry to do this, but we'll see.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 10:26 PM   #5
JP1906
Private
United_States
Rep

Sorry for the delay, added pictures.

Upon tuning more and adding the remote bass control knob for the XD, I can say there is a tremendous improvement in sound.

Favorite songs that sound great to me:

Gap band - "Oustanding"
Rachel Eckroth - "Gold"
Esperanza Spalding - "Black Gold"
Sarah Bareilles - "Sitting on the dock of the bay"
Nirvana - "Smells like Teen Spirit" (I literally listened to this 3 times with a smile on my face and surprisingly the W7 keeps up with the wicked kick bass in that song w/o sounding sloppy in a ported box)

For some reason, the UP4's favor female voices IMO and sound pretty good; male singing voices it sounds okay. Also, I have the 300/2 set at full range powering the underseat subs and they don't sound half bad. It brings a little more "fullness" to the set up.

Last edited by JP1906; 08-27-2014 at 10:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 07:07 AM   #6
GL888
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i F30 m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP1906
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335icandy View Post

No problem, figured I'd put a review up just in case folks were looking to do something similar.

I haven't heard the Focal factory replacements or the Morel 4", but they should be comparable or better than the UP4s (especially the Morel tweeter). I've been tuning my set-up by ear for a couple of days now because the fronts were fatiguing to me; they are beginning to calm down now either due to my tuning and/or them breaking in.

For the best sound, I do believe an MS-8/Alpine/Mosconi will help. Regarding the center channel, I was not actually a fan. It seems to get in the way with music. Personally, I felt I didn't lose much removing it, with the exception of phone call quality. The quality isn't that bad, but I can tell there is a difference. I also have the Left to Right Fade in the iDrive adjusted about 3 clicks to the Right, as the tweeters are very forward and the soundstage was not centered. By adjusting 3 clicks over, it seems to be more centered now (again, could be a personal preference or something wrong with my set-up). My install guy did suggest purchasing the small Alpine amps (I believe it's the KTP models) and connecting my Center channel....I'm in no hurry to do this, but we'll see.
I've upgraded my system to full focal speakers and amps, except center.

I've done review in the main forum for the audio.

Let me know if you have any other questions
Appreciate 0