F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > We Interview Oliver Ganser, BMW 3 Series Product Manager BMWNA, on All Things F30
proTUNING Freaks

01-19-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Arrow We Interview Oliver Ganser, BMW 3 Series Product Manager BMWNA, on All Things F30

BIMMERPOST NEWS
We Interview Oliver Ganser, BMW 3 Series Product Manager BMWNA, on All Things F30
COMMENTS
Name:  IMG_6554.JPG
Views: 16961
Size:  157.0 KB

At the 2012 Detroit NAIAS, we sat down and chatted with Oliver Ganser, the 3 Series Product Manager at BMW North America. As the F30 3 Series may now be ordered and will have its official worldwide market launch in just a few weeks - on February 11, we naturally had many questions for him (many directly from you, our members). Here are the F30 related topics we covered.

For all our other coverage from the 2012 Detroit NAIAS, please see http://www.bimmerpost.com/autoshows/.

Name:  IMG_6463.jpg
Views: 13951
Size:  42.0 KB
Are the aerodynamics of the F30 improved by the M-sport package, or is it only a cosmetic difference?

M Sport Package has same drag coefficient (Cd) value as the base models – 0.29 Cd for 328i and 0.30 Cd for 335i. Each F30 model has been optimized for minimum drag and turbulence and to create directional airflow. A neat example - there are plastic aerodynamic sculpted sleeves on each rear control arm / wishbone to increase downforce and reduce turbulence on rear axle/suspension [picture to right].

Will Adaptive Sport Suspension be standard on M Sport models?

Not standard, it will be an option.

Name:  f30msport-brakes.jpg
Views: 17354
Size:  67.2 KB
Will M Sport brakes be included as part of M Sport Package for the US?

We have not decided this yet, but we will have the decision soon because we will bring the M Sport Package soon – July Production for September delivery. It can be ordered prior to July. [F30 M Sport brakes pictured to right]

Name:  IMG_6158.JPG
Views: 15851
Size:  53.8 KB
Will there be a power bump for the M Sport 335i?

No. We have increased cooling capabilities for the M Sport and Sport Line model [via extra cooler behind fog lights on passenger side - pictured right], but no power bump. Many customers like the M Sport Package as just an aerodynamics package; that’s why we separated things like the Adaptive Sport Suspension and Sport Steering as options apart from the M Sport package, so customer can make choices between aesthetics and functional enhancements.

Why does the US M Sport model on display have no fog lights, unlike the European model?

For improved race capability. We need the air intakes for air. That’s why the fog lights are out. Because you have more driving on the racetracks than in Europe and you have different climate zones (some places are hotter). European models will keep their fog lights.

Will there be a Diesel F30 in the US?
We will not have a diesel for the model year 2012, but our last outgoing model (e90) was very successful with the diesel so we’re thinking about it.

When will xDrive be available? As of July production also or later?
It will come in Fall as well with pretty similar schedule as M Sport Package (see above).

Will xDrive be available with manual transmission?
For some models.

Name:  IMG_6441.JPG
Views: 14046
Size:  56.4 KB
When will Active Hybrid 3 be available, 9/2012?
Will also be offered in the same time frame.

Why no staggered wheels standard for 328i?
Staggered wheels are available as optional wheels.
[Note: Note: As far as we can tell, this applies to M Sport models only.]

What generation runflat tires does the F30 use?
We use the latest generation RFT on the F30 now. It's a huge step forward in ride comfort, tread life, and noise reduction.

Is the PDC and Rearview camera the same set-up as in the 5 and 7?
Yes, same technologies flow down from the 5 series. There is front and rear PDC, rearview camera with parking guide lines, top down view, and front fender side view cameras.

Any plans to bring the uprated 315hp N55 in the 335i (as recently launched in the 6 Series Gran Coupe)?

No. The F30 N55 engine is the same engine as in the outgoing E90 model. We just decided that the 6 and 7 series will have the uprated N55 engine to 315hp. This won’t flow down to the F30. The uprated power in the 6 and 7 series comes from software only.
[Note: However, we were told during our F30 test drive in Barcelona that BMW is considering bringing the 315hp N55 to the F30 at some point (perhaps as a Performance option)].

Name:  BMW-M-Parts-2.jpg
Views: 14391
Size:  48.1 KB
Any word regarding BMW Performance parts for the F30?

You will see them soon.
[Note: Some BMW Performance and M Performance parts for the F30 have already been spotted [pictured right], via some photos taken at a recent dealer presentation - see the images here]

When will Individual colors (exterior and interior) be available for the F30?

The suggested BMW Individual colors and combinations have not yet been released.
[Note: Remember, from our interview with Matt Russell last year at the NYIAS, any dealer can submit individual orders for you].

Name:  f30licenseplatebase.jpg
Views: 15674
Size:  49.6 KB
Latest status on F30 Front license plate mounting base:

The latest from BMWNA (as of 1/19) is that the first batch of 3 Series Sedans will be delivered to BMW Centers across the US with (but not necessarily attached) the large front license plate bracket shown in some recent photos. That is the reason we see it installed on some recent production cars (pictured below). [Preproduction cars will still continue to be seen with it of course.]

As of last Thursday however, BMW production facilities have begun manufacturing a new license plate bracket that is smaller than the ones previously seen.

So, this means that some of the very early F30 cars will have the large front license plate base come with the cars, and the others that come after it will have a smaller plate base.

A front license plate holder will not be installed on US bound F30 models. A front license plate holder will be supplied for all cars in case it is bound for a State that requires front license plates. Sorry for any confusion that may have come from our previous posts on the matter. We were relaying what we found out and were told by BMW.

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
I'm surprised considering it's the same engine, that they won't have PPK stage 1 available for the 335 right out of the gate.

I'll be in the market for a new car come December, and it actually will make a difference in my decision.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Weak IF those brakes are not standard on the M-Sports Pack.

Be nice to be able to choose a color other than BLUE too.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
Wiles
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.5i MSport manual, 2020X3M

Garage List
2012 BMW Z4  [0.00]
I bit lame.

At least BMW seems to understand the front Lic plate thing was a mistake.

Now, as for M-Sport people not wanting more power or brakes. That's crap. I am a BMW M-Sport buyer. I have two and would be much happier if they had more performace. I like the look, but I would like more power/performace too. M-sport is cool but M has to be more then make-up. I know I have two M-Sports which are just makeup.

Brakes, are one the reasons I love my 135i. They are the best looking brakes and they do the job for me. I know others have small issues with them.

In addition to brakes and power a real rear differential would be top of my list for options.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

M-Sport + No power bump + No upgrade on brakes + Sport suspension not standard + Runflat tires

= NOT M

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

hmm I saw the new 3 series in the flesh tuesday night in SC and its a great looking car. I can't wait till we get the cars in on our lot.

Great to see that BMW is considering the diesel again for the f30.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 03:14 PM   #7
dday
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 335 M-Sport

Interesting answer on the x-drive w/ manual. I wonder if that means no 328 x-drive manual.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #8
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post

Why does the US M Sport model on display have no fog lights, unlike the European model?

For improved race capability. We need the air intakes for air. That’s why the fog lights are out. Because you have more driving on the racetracks than in Europe and you have different climate zones (some places are hotter). European models will keep their fog lights.
Thanks for asking this question and clarifying.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 03:57 PM   #9
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
M-Sport + No power bump + No upgrade on brakes + Sport suspension not standard + Runflat tires

= NOT M
But, but... no dogmas!
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 04:31 PM   #10
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Why would you WANT staggered wheels? The only thing that saved my last car (328i) from being a piece of crap was the square tire setup, it was so nice and drifty especially with the suspension mods I had.

My 135i / sport suspension honestly doesn't compare to my E90 with Eibach suspension in the twisties, I attribute at least some of this to the overly large rear tires (and the overly soft rear suspension / sway bar) that increase grip at the expense of less predictability at the rear end.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 04:31 PM   #11
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Requiring a front license plate is a waste. We have them here in Texas.

Last edited by Diver; 01-21-2012 at 08:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 04:59 PM   #12
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

+1 on BMW getting cheap... i see these cars run past 50K when optioned... time for a 2 series for budget folks
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #13
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

i also dont believe that 335 will keep the current N55 engine for long. Think about it, a new model with previous model's hart. it's got to change b/c buyers think they are buying older technology, I think that...
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #14
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgere View Post
i also dont believe that 335 will keep the current N55 engine for long. Think about it, a new model with previous model's hart. it's got to change b/c buyers think they are buying older technology, I think that...
The N55 is not that old of an engine though, but you may be right. Looking back, the first '06 E90 was still using the N52 until they swapped over to the N54 in '07.
      01-20-2012, 07:32 PM   #15
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
The N55 is not that old of an engine though, but you may be right. Looking back, the first '06 E90 was still using the N52 until they swapped over to the N54 in '07.
yep, officially they say get 335 today, but they will change it rather soon (year/two after or with LCI)
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 09:20 PM   #16
anerbe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Red E90M 6MT

They get the first year buyers with the new platform, then they snag the second year buyers with the performance. I.E. E90, latest mustang.
If you hint of much better options the following year, why would someone buy current year? It's smart to keep their product strategy a secret.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 09:28 PM   #17
M5007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition Package

God those plate holders are hideous.
      01-20-2012, 09:56 PM   #18
pcbrew
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderfan View Post
No staggered wheels on 328i
328i M-Sport will be staggered by default since both wheel/tire options for M-Sport are staggered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderfan View Post
If the Msport package costs even slightly more than any of the other trims...
As a data point, F10 M-Sport package is $4800 vs. $3600 for Sport package.

Prediction: Assume ~$1000 premium over the Sport Line for:
- aero kit
- staggered wheels / tire setup with base wheels, even on 328i
- M-Sport steering wheel
- textured aluminum trim option or option for wood on a model with Sport suspension
- even more limited exterior and interior color options

Last edited by pcbrew; 01-20-2012 at 10:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 11:19 PM   #19
OdomPHD
I break for no one
United_States
Rep
Drives: e9o "Vanity 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAMidge
I'm surprised considering it's the same engine, that they won't have PPK stage 1 available for the 335 right out of the gate.

I'll be in the market for a new car come December, and it actually will make a difference in my decision.
I concur;

It really would effect my buying decision, too. It would be wise for BMW to release a performance upgrade for the m sport or even base sport model.

You're kidding me if you couldn't stretch the N55 to +30 hp safely with a mere software upgrade...so why not just give the sport model 10hp and the m sport *option* 20hp. But no option to chose both.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 12:18 AM   #20
Ron Scott
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 M Sport

Great set of Q&A, thanks. I think you guys hit 90% of what we were hoping for. Quite an accomplishment!

I did get a kick out of this one however:

For improved race capability. We need the air intakes for air. That’s why the fog lights are out. Because you have more driving on the racetracks than in Europe...

If I'm not careening down mountains and riverbeds or skidding across sandy beaches in my SUV, I'm winding out on racetracks with my bimmer. Local streets and highways are for sissies.

Ah, those Americans...
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 02:44 AM   #21
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Scott
Great set of Q&A, thanks. I think you guys hit 90% of what we were hoping for. Quite an accomplishment!

I did get a kick out of this one however:

For improved race capability. We need the air intakes for air. That’s why the fog lights are out. Because you have more driving on the racetracks than in Europe...

If I'm not careening down mountains and riverbeds or skidding across sandy beaches in my SUV, I'm winding out on racetracks with my bimmer. Local streets and highways are for sissies.

Ah, those Americans...
Exactly, sounds like they are saving $20 on M Sport in US. Why not put slim LED strips?
Well at least they are revising the front license plate bracket.
I also believe but within a year/two the options should improve otherwise pple will leave BMW. Seriously I think merc and Audi beat BMW in many categories in this class I.e. 3 series. All BMW got is superior handling. Most buyers don't care and while I do, I do not believe a significantly more expensive car worth it.
      01-21-2012, 08:12 AM   #22
OrangeDeep
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dday View Post
Interesting answer on the x-drive w/ manual. I wonder if that means no 328 x-drive manual.
I'm not in the market for one of these, but I seriously will not buy an F30 if I can't get a manual transmission with x-drive. I have an f10 535xi; while I don't hate the 8-spd; I definitely wouldn't buy it on a car again. I really cannot understand for the life of me why BMW is doing this. Give me a manual option or I'll go elsewhere for my next purchase.
Appreciate 0