F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > Please help, Order Restriction on my 335i xdrive
ARMA SPEED

01-09-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
arnerj
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xdrive

Please help, Order Restriction on my 335i xdrive

Can any of you guys help me. I just got off the phone with my dealer who is placing my order for a 335i xdrive sport line. He explained that BMW currently has an order restriction mandating that I add either Active Cruise or Navi/BMW Assist.

Has anyone else encountered this? And if so, is there any way to circumvent this restriction, like changing to the M sport line, exterior color, etc.?

This is my first time placing an order with BMW, so any other tips would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help in advance!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
kobechrome
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi

Garage List
Doesnt sound right to me. Neither of those should be tied to the Xdrive Sport Line.

I placed my order for a 335xi Sport line last month and Nav was optional. (I ordered tech package so I got it anway but its not required).
      01-09-2013, 03:31 PM   #3
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

BMW assist and nav have nothing to do with one another either. What options did you want to order? Maybe something else is driving it.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #4
arnerj
United_States
Rep

None of them are tied together online and I know navi and bmw assist are seperate options on the configurator, but he said they had to be ordered together. The other option he gave me was the dynamic cruise option. Do you guys think there is I could call BMW USA to confirm, or ask my sales manager to build an m-sport.

His explanation was that BMW may have a large inventory of these options and they are mandating they be applied to all new 3 orders.

I don't know, any of you with experience ordering and dealing with restriction please help out.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 03:46 PM   #5
bmrm396
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3cs

sounds like hes trying to upsell you into a car that just like ur order + that option. he must not have gotten an actual production slot and is tryin to cover his ass ... ??? i dunno, im not aware of any restrictions or mandates

they cant "mandate" that u order anything. the order sheet is the order sheet, plain and simple.
      01-09-2013, 04:13 PM   #6
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrm396
they cant "mandate" that u order anything. the order sheet is the order sheet, plain and simple.
+1. Guy is being shady for one reason or another, probably just trying to increase his margin by a few bucks. Try another dealership.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 04:15 PM   #7
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnerj
His explanation was that BMW may have a large inventory of these options and they are mandating they be applied to all new 3 orders.
This is pure BS plain and simple.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #8
pallymore
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi M Sport

Garage List
I'd say try another dealership and see what the others say. :/
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #9
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

It may be possible they're trying to get you into a car that was already allocated and being built because they don't have another allocation...
      01-09-2013, 07:05 PM   #10
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon
It may be possible they're trying to get you into a car that was already allocated and being built because they don't have another allocation...
Either way, guy is lying about something easy to disprove.. Lazy, shady salesman. If that were the case, which it could be, he should just say so and give those options at cost, not make up stories.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #11
arnerj
United_States
Rep

Thank you all for the input. I'm guessing none of you have had this issue with an order.
Basically, what the dealer told me they were not allocated a 335i drive, but he found one and was able to trade another dealer for it. He then told me he would give me either scenario; the navi/bmw assist or the active cruise at cost, so I'm not sure what to think. I guess based on all of your replies, this is not a standard situation.
Unfortunately, they have locked me into the lease rate and discounts from the Holiday event, so going to another dealer may cost more than adding navigation.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #12
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Basically, he's saying if you wait for a custom built one, could take god knows how many months. However, there are two that are already in queue from other dealers that he can trade for, but one has nav/bmw assist over what you wanted, and the other as active cruise control over what you ordered already specced.

I'd say consider looking for an on lot 335, maybe a different line or color.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 08:31 PM   #13
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Sounds like those other allocations are just built that way then. Has nothing to do with BMW restrictions or high volume of parts they want to push. Must be too late to change those builds so he's giving you the choice of what he can get. So that makes sense, but where did these stories about restrictions and extra parts inventory come from? He made that up or did you misunderstand something he said?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #14
arnerj
United_States
Rep

I didn't misunderstand anything, that is exactly what he told me about the BMW build restriction. It sounds like either you guys are right about cars already on order or BMW is actually putting a restriction on new orders. I would guess its the first situation. I will try and have him build an m-sport tomorrow and see if it will go through.

We will see... it is just a weird situation, since I can not find anyone else online complaining about this.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 08:53 PM   #15
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Then it sounds like the allocation thing, he has 2 allocations he can trade for and it's too late to change the configuration of those allocations, but sounds like he just wasn't up front about it. Sometimes people are just idiots and make things up when it's not even necessary. If he's giving you a decent deal, locked you into the holiday money, and giving you the extra options at invoice, then why not just say so in the first place...

But I can assure you, BMW wouldn't just say, we have extra parts, you have to buy them.... That's not how business works and BMW wouldn't be pushed around by the vendors that make the parts and live off of BMW....

My advice would be to try and keep a clear head, explore other options but don't let go of the allocation he can get (and therefore your holiday money) until you have a better option
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 08:25 AM   #16
arnerj
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Then it sounds like the allocation thing, he has 2 allocations he can trade for and it's too late to change the configuration of those allocations, but sounds like he just wasn't up front about it. Sometimes people are just idiots and make things up when it's not even necessary. If he's giving you a decent deal, locked you into the holiday money, and giving you the extra options at invoice, then why not just say so in the first place...

But I can assure you, BMW wouldn't just say, we have extra parts, you have to buy them.... That's not how business works and BMW wouldn't be pushed around by the vendors that make the parts and live off of BMW....

My advice would be to try and keep a clear head, explore other options but don't let go of the allocation he can get (and therefore your holiday money) until you have a better option
Thanks for the words of wisdom. What you're saying makes sense.

I also agree with you about BMW, I highly doubt they would force their customers to order individual options, which is why I found his comments odd. They package options, and have optional add-ons to navi etc., but I have never heard of forcing a customer to order a certain option. It has to be that a couple of vehicle are built like this in their system.

I'll let everyone know what they saw today. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #17
chrisv_335EBII
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i 6sp EBII

The junk dealers come up with never seems to suprise me anymore. Did you submit your credit application to BMWUSA or just the dealership? If its with BMWUSA you can switch dealerships. Contact another dealership and see what they say about the incentives.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #18
arnerj
United_States
Rep

So, yesterday, I called BMW USA and they were not really able to help me with new vehicle orders. They just mentioned that sometimes BMW will require options to br grouped together. The options I would like to order have nothing to do with active cruise or navigation, so I doubt that is the case in my situation. I tried to call the dealer back, but the sales manager is out of the office until tomorrow.

I will let you all know what I find out tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #19
arnerj
United_States
Rep

It appears everything is sorted out. My car is on order as I originally specified.

Apparently, there is a glitch in the online order form for the 335i that makes it appear that the car can only be ordered with navi or active cruise. I called my friend who works at BMW NA engineering and he found out that there was a bulletin posted in July 2012 that shows a work around for this problem. In the end, the dealer was able to place my order this morning.

If anyone has any problem like this in the future, please contact me.

Thanks for eveyones help!
Appreciate 0