F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > iPhone 5 "Not Supported" Error
proTUNING Freaks

10-11-2012, 11:40 AM   #23
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post
it's faster
Prove it. It's USB2 dude. That's from the year 2000. This is Apple FFS, they're supposed to make bleeding edge stuff and Lightning is not only a dishonest name but it's a backwards step. As I said: the ONLY plus points are that it's smaller and you can put the cable in upside down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328i2013 View Post
You obviously don't have the iphone 5 or you would not try to discredit the very valid benefits I listed. You probably have an android photo. Yuck

Yes, it's lame that it doesnt work with the bmw. I'm pretty sure a software update will fix that.
I obviously don't own an iPhone 5 because I'm not a chump and I cancelled my pre-order when I found out how shit it was and I "upgraded" my 16GB 4S to a 64GB 4S instead. And a software fix cannot overcome the hardware limitations of the connector.

You can justify your purchase of an iPhone 5 however you like but watch the sales figures because I don't know any of my rational mates who've bought one. I know dicks who've bought one because they're Apple fanboiz but all the floaters out there who have an iPhone because it's a good phone and not because of the image have looked at the iPhone 5 and though "don't want a bigger screen, don't need a faster processor and all the goodies are IOS6 - which I have". They are the "plus" points too! then there's the fact that none of my docks will work, my car won't work and the lightning connector is a piece of junk. Yeah ... good game Apple. Three of my friends have gone with Android phones instead of the iPhone 5 FFS - that's how big a fuck up this has been from Apple.
      10-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #24
328i2013
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
Prove it. It's USB2 dude. That's from the year 2000. This is Apple FFS, they're supposed to make bleeding edge stuff and Lightning is not only a dishonest name but it's a backwards step. As I said: the ONLY plus points are that it's smaller and you can put the cable in upside down.
I obviously don't own an iPhone 5 because I'm not a chump and I cancelled my pre-order when I found out how shit it was and I "upgraded" my 16GB 4S to a 64GB 4S instead. And a software fix cannot overcome the hardware limitations of the connector.

You can justify your purchase of an iPhone 5 however you like but watch the sales figures because I don't know any of my rational mates who've bought one. I know dicks who've bought one because they're Apple fanboiz but all the floaters out there who have an iPhone because it's a good phone and not because of the image have looked at the iPhone 5 and though "don't want a bigger screen, don't need a faster processor and all the goodies are IOS6 - which I have". They are the "plus" points too! then there's the fact that none of my docks will work, my car won't work and the lightning connector is a piece of junk. Yeah ... good game Apple. Three of my friends have gone with Android phones instead of the iPhone 5 FFS - that's how big a fuck up this has been from Apple.
I don't see much rationality in your argument. Given the same logic, why would you ever want to upgrade to a newer model bimmer either? I'm sure the 328i built in 2010 will get you from A to B, just like the F30 will. So, why bother getting the F30?

What's not to like about bigger, thinner, faster, lighter iPhone?? I'm happy to use aux cable till a sw upgrade is available for the USB cable. And spending $30 for an adapter is certainly affordable if you can afford a BMW.

But that's not what this thread is about. This is about resolving an issue.

Full Disclosure: I bought $AAPL last year at $330. It's $630 right now

10-11-2012, 03:33 PM   #25
328i2013
Private
Rep

So, I wrote to BMW about the iPhone 5 issue for folks without the Tech package and they sent the following reply which suggests that either a cable or sw update will be available in the future.

CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com wrote:

To Whom It May Concern:

Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC regarding iPhone 5 compatibility with our vehicles.

We are continuing to work closely with Apple on the validation of the iPhone 5 for BMW vehicles and will be able to announce relevant developments in the future. Unfortunately, Apple did not distribute the iPhone 5 earlier to automobile manufacturers than to the general public, so we will address any issues of concern after our evaluation of the device. We anticipate app compatibility will continue as will the ability to access one's song library using the BMW controls and screen. The specific feature, Plug-in, which works through BMW Apps to replicate the look of the iPhone interface, will not be available at launch. The full scope of compatibility between the iPhone 5 and BMW Group vehicles will be known once the validation process is completed, and we appreciate your patience as we work through the process.

10-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #26
boltjames
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Luxury

Quote:

Beater ipod doesn't help cuz I like to stream audio through rdio
Unfortunately that requires the BMW Assist With Enhanced USB and Bluetooth option which you do not have. No option, no stream.

The only thing your car can do for Music with an iPhone is plugged in to your armrest USB port. That's it. Stop emailing BMW. For those of us with the right options, the iPhone 5 streams audio just fine via Bluetooth.

BJ
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 04:15 PM   #27
328i2013
Private
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately that requires the BMW Assist With Enhanced USB and Bluetooth option which you do not have. No option, no stream.

The only thing your car can do for Music with an iPhone is plugged in to your armrest USB port. That's it. Stop emailing BMW. For those of us with the right options, the iPhone 5 streams audio just fine via Bluetooth.

BJ
You read my use of word "streaming" incorrectly. Rdio to iPhone streaming. But iPhone to USB is wired obviously. That works without the enhanced option for iPhone 4.

10-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #28
boltjames
Banned
Rep

Quote:
You read my use of word "streaming" incorrectly. Rdio to iPhone streaming. But iPhone to USB is wired obviously. That works without the enhanced option for iPhone 4.
I think you need an app for that. I may be wrong, but I don't think the protocol for streaming into an iPhone and then outputting to USB will work. I believe that only works with Bluetooth, look into that I might be wrong.

See, the iPhones iPod app is a specific thing, it's an app that sends music out to a cord that's been programmed to work with it. I believe if you use the Pandora app or any other type of app to stream music the iPhone doesn't know that and it doesn't know how to output it to USB. I think that's why the enhanced Bluetooth option is necessary.

BJ

Last edited by boltjames; 10-11-2012 at 04:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 04:48 PM   #29
328i2013
Private
Rep

Quote:
I think you need an app for that. I may be wrong, but I don't think the protocol for streaming into an iPhone and then outputting to USB will work. I believe that only works with Bluetooth, look into that I might be wrong.

See, the iPhones iPod app is a specific thing, it's an app that sends music out to a cord that's been programmed to work with it. I believe if you use the Pandora app or any other type of app to stream music the iPhone doesn't know that and it doesn't know how to output it to USB. I think that's why the enhanced Bluetooth option is necessary.

BJ
NOPE. Tried with my iPhone 4S. Music over USB cable works just fine and I can browse playlists, etc. on my phone using iDrive.

10-11-2012, 05:29 PM   #30
boltjames
Banned
Rep

Quote:
NOPE. Tried with my iPhone 4S. Music over USB cable works just fine and I can browse playlists, etc. on my phone using iDrive.
Streamed music or the music library in your iPhone?

BJ
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 06:45 AM   #31
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I don't see much rationality in your argument. Given the same logic, why would you ever want to upgrade to a newer model bimmer either? I'm sure the 328i built in 2010 will get you from A to B, just like the F30 will. So, why bother getting the F30?

What's not to like about bigger, thinner, faster, lighter iPhone?? I'm happy to use aux cable till a sw upgrade is available for the USB cable. And spending $30 for an adapter is certainly affordable if you can afford a BMW.

But that's not what this thread is about. This is about resolving an issue.

Full Disclosure: I bought $AAPL last year at $330. It's $630 right now
Except I don't own a 2010 328i. If I did, I wouldn't be buying an F30 - that much is correct I have what you would call a 2007 Mazdaspeed 6 and it's time for a new car. I'm getting the 330D cause it's an epic product that fits my requirements perfectly, despite costing more than I would like to part with. The iPhone 5, however, just has more bad points than good points for me so it makes no sense. Which is a shame because I really wanted one. Hopefully, the iPhone 5S will be smaller and the world will have caught up with "lightning"
      10-12-2012, 08:10 AM   #32
328i2013
Private
Rep

Quote:
The iPhone 5, however, just has more bad points than good points for me so it makes no sense. Which is a shame because I really wanted one. Hopefully, the iPhone 5S will be smaller and the world will have caught up with "lightning"
Sorry you feel that way. Give it a try. You will surprise yourself.

10-12-2012, 08:42 AM   #33
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

No point. I have a good number of accessories that have a 30pin connector on them and I'm sure as hell not buying half a dozen of those silly adapters and I'm not carrying one round with my phone everywhere either.

Maybe next gen ...
      10-16-2012, 12:19 AM   #34
Itskoji
Rep
Drives: Activehybrid 3

Quote:
328i2013,

I am really interested in how rdio works for you, I just ordered with no nav, tech or enhanced Bluetooth also. I use rdio for all my music and am a little worried. Can you change tracks with the dash controls and steering wheel, and can you see track names?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 05:51 AM   #35
ScottM
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i

Quote:
No point. I have a good number of accessories that have a 30pin connector on them and I'm sure as hell not buying half a dozen of those silly adapters and I'm not carrying one round with my phone everywhere either.

Maybe next gen ...
Wow - been reading through your posts on the iPhone 5 and lighting connector. Talk about being short sighted. With that rational you'll never upgrade to a future iPhone or iPod or iPad because it requires a new cable. So the money you just spent on a second one year old iPhone 4s (that doesn't do anything better than the 4s you had) was justified? Since it required a new cable you bailed on the on all the great stuff the new phone offers? Really?

You mentioned how you were hoping Apple would make a smaller iPhone - how do you expect them to do that with the larger 30-pin dock connector? You do realize they used the new 8 pinn connector to make the iPhone 5 smaller?

Apple doesn't give manufactures much of a heads-up when introducing a new product to keep their competition in the dark, so it will take a little while for accessory makers to update their products. I'm sure BMW will have a fix coming soon to address the new phone size and cable issues.

Its always hard when technology marches on and old stuff gets left behind, but thats life dude.

Last edited by ScottM; 10-16-2012 at 05:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 06:44 AM   #36
328i2013
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itskoji View Post
328i2013,

I am really interested in how rdio works for you, I just ordered with no nav, tech or enhanced Bluetooth also. I use rdio for all my music and am a little worried. Can you change tracks with the dash controls and steering wheel, and can you see track names?

Thanks!
I've been calling the Apple store about the lightning adapter almost every day. They keep selling out. I'll get my hands on it one of these days. Hoping you can control rdio tracks through the idrive and wheel. You can do this in a Fiat 500.

On a different note, I loaded a 32GB flash drive with couple dozen folders of mp3s and that's working well. No cable mess either. My F30 will never see a CD.

10-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #37
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
Wow - been reading through your posts on the iPhone 5 and lighting connector. Talk about being short sighted. With that rational you'll never upgrade to a future iPhone or iPod or iPad because it requires a new cable. So the money you just spent on a second one year old iPhone 4s (that doesn't do anything better than the 4s you had) was justified? Since it required a new cable you bailed on the on all the great stuff the new phone offers? Really?

You mentioned how you were hoping Apple would make a smaller iPhone - how do you expect them to do that with the larger 30-pin dock connector? You do realize they used the new 8 pinn connector to make the iPhone 5 smaller?

Apple doesn't give manufactures much of a heads-up when introducing a new product to keep their competition in the dark, so it will take a little while for accessory makers to update their products. I'm sure BMW will have a fix coming soon to address the new phone size and cable issues.

Its always hard when technology marches on and old stuff gets left behind, but thats life dude.

Seriously ... if you want to disagree, disagree with what I've actually said, not what you think I've said
      10-16-2012, 01:43 PM   #38
ScottM
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i

I've read through all your posts - the crap you're spouting just underscores your ignorance.

Example - the Lightning Connector

As you stated...
"Lightning is an absolute con. It's no surprise that sales of Apple goodies have fallen over the last few years and so they've made a smaller but worse adapter that forces lots of people to buy more goodies without getting ANY benefit other than ... wait for it ... you can put the wire in upside down I suppose Jobs was in the process of dying when he signed it off though so at least there's an excuse why it's crap."

The advancements Apple is making on their products is so far ahead of the competition that you don't even recognize what there're doing. You're just pissed, so you bad mouth what you don't understand.

Here's some light reading to help explain how advanced the connector is - and its not because they want to sell adapters.

Apple's Lightning Connector Uses Adaptive Technology to Dynamically Assign Pin Functions
http://goo.gl/xwSi5

Give it a break.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 02:29 PM   #39
boltjames
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I've been calling the Apple store about the lightning adapter almost every day. They keep selling out. I'll get my hands on it one of these days. Hoping you can control rdio tracks through the idrive and wheel. You can do this in a Fiat 500.

On a different note, I loaded a 32GB flash drive with couple dozen folders of mp3s and that's working well. No cable mess either. My F30 will never see a CD.
The only way to get a Lightning adapter is to do the following:

Use the Apple Store app on your iPhone.

Wait until 10 PM any night of the week.

Place a preorder to pick up at your local App Store at 10:01 PM.

Next morning, go to your local Apple store, it'll be waiting for you.

The key is to preorder it the night before. That is why when you go to the store there aren't any left; other people pre-ordered it. You have to do it after 10 PM because that is when Apple updates their inventory.

BJ
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #40
328i2013
Private
Rep

Got the Lightning to 30-pin adapter which is better than just the Lightning adapter, cuz now joined with the Y-cable it's long enough to come out of the arm rest. And it recognized my tracks and playlists too. I can now use iDrive and wheel controls to select tracks.

What it doesn't do is allow me to change rdio/spotify tracks through iDrive/wheel (i can do this in my girl's fiat, so i assumed it would work in the bmw too...i guess not). Maybe a BMW update in the future will fix it. Something tells me this won't current work on older iphones either. Will check with my iPhone 4 later.

I can now charge my iPhone 5 and play music through it at the same time without the clutter of two long cables coming out of the arm rest. Now it's just one small cable coming out.

So, this is fairly satisfying to me I suppose.

10-18-2012, 01:20 AM   #41
Itskoji
Rep
Drives: Activehybrid 3

thanks

Quote:
Got the Lightning to 30-pin adapter which is better than just the Lightning adapter, cuz now joined with the Y-cable it's long enough to come out of the arm rest. And it recognized my tracks and playlists too. I can now use iDrive and wheel controls to select tracks.

What it doesn't do is allow me to change rdio/spotify tracks through iDrive/wheel (i can do this in my girl's fiat, so i assumed it would work in the bmw too...i guess not). Maybe a BMW update in the future will fix it. Something tells me this won't current work on older iphones either. Will check with my iPhone 4 later.

I can now charge my iPhone 5 and play music through it at the same time without the clutter of two long cables coming out of the arm rest. Now it's just one small cable coming out.

So, this is fairly satisfying to me I suppose.

Thanks for the info! Yeah, you would think that since fiat or pioneer or even a scion or whatever random chinese electronic device can externally go to the next track that the guys at bmw could hook us up... well, i guess they can, for another $3100 on the tech package... still you would hope they would not hold back features on us...
Appreciate 0