F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Summary of all F30 USB / iPod / iPhone audio options
GetBMWParts

09-13-2013, 02:39 AM   #45
MK_bimmerlove
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeee View Post
Hi all

New to this forum, have a new F30 330d M-Sport arriving in September...

It is a UK car with Business Media (Nav), HK audio and standard (ie not enhanced) Bluetooth.

All questions regarding iPhone compatibility, album artwork etc on this forum seem to relate to the Pro Media. Can anyone explain what features I will get with the Business Media spec and an iPhone 4? Will I need the Y-cable, and does this come included with the car? Will artwork appear on the screen?

Many Thanks
Mikey
did you get anywhere with this? I have the same spec
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2014, 10:10 AM   #46
nkoul_96
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2013 335i Xdrive

I have a 2013 335i x-drive. I know I have BMW Assist because I saw it in my options but I bought the car used so I am not sure if I have enhanced Bluetooth. I couldn't connect Bluetooth audio.

I have the USB slot in my armrest and glove-box but once I plug in my iPhone 6, neither work.

Please let me know if my only option is to use an AUX or if there is something else I could do.
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2015, 08:06 PM   #47
saaltonen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 328i xDrive

I have a 2014 F31 328i xDrive, and have been unsuccessful using USB with my Motorola Droid Turbo. Tried all different USB modes while connected to the USB port in the center console, no dice. Seems there is little love for the Android market . Luckily I had a couple iPhone 4S's hanging around, so I have resorted to using one of these as an iPod and to stream my Google Play Music. I do have streaming bluetooth, but the quality is noticeably different when connected to USB IMO. I saw in the update .pdf for the iDrive system I just installed that there is supposedly support for the Samsung Galaxy phones, interested to see if anyone has had luck with these via USB.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2015, 03:28 AM   #48
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520d M-Sport

It's been a while since this thread was updated and I thought I would add a very important addition to those owners without a combox and requiring a Y-cable to connect their iPhones to the car.

After a lot of research, I came across the Viseeo bluetooth adapter. It allows users to connect their iPhones as if it were connected physically, but over bluetooth.

You have the same limitations as you do with the y-cable in regards to using Spotify or any other streaming service, but the quality is superb and it works flawlessly.

I'll provide a photo if required but this is perfect for users who don't have the combox with the CIC iDrive.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2015, 08:56 AM   #49
Mitchcumsteen
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328i Sport Wagon

New to BMW

I just purchased a used 2010 328i and having issues with the USB connection.

I have an Iphone 6 Plus. When plugged in, it charges, but the menu does not recognixe the phone, says "insert USB".

This is a non-IDrive car, older. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2015, 10:47 AM   #50
murrays
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '02 325i, '15 335i

Any reason a male to male headphone jack and standard lightning to USB cable together wouldn't replace the Y-cable? I don't have nav or enhanced BT.
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2015, 11:06 AM   #51
murrays
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Or, I guess more specifically, I should be able to charge my iPhone with the stock cable and play music through a 3.5mm audio cable plugged into the headphone jack, no?
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2015, 05:53 PM   #52
murrays
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam70 View Post
I dont have my 328i yet - still 2 months away, my 328i has the Professional Nav but not the extended Bluetooth/USB.
Based on what ive read I think the following is correct...let me know if ive missed anything...

My understanding are the the following options exist (except radio and CD):
1. USB Memory stick in arm rest USB
2. iPod/Iphone in arm rest with BMW Y cable (USB and 3.5mm Stereo)
3. Copy from USB to internal HDD using USB in glove box.
4. iPod/iPhone in arm rest USB with standard apple cable
5. Bluetooth streaming

To use the above options you need:
1. Any model
2. Any model
3. Only with Professional Nav
4. Only with Extended Bluetooth/USB Worked for me
5. Only with Extended Bluetooth/USB Worked for me

What i havnt been able toget a clear picture on is what different functionality exists for these 5 options.

Can anybody add details about how the 5 different methods vary from a user interface/features perspective.

Im interested in:
Are there differences in the controls
Are there differences in the display (including cover art)
Are playlists available

1. Playlists:Yes (Tricky?), Album art:No Yes
2. Playlists:Yes, Album art:No
3. Playlists:Yes, Album art:Yes
4. Playlists:Yes, Album art:Yes, 2 phones active (for calls) at the same time
5. Playlists:Yes, Album art:? Probably not im guessing, 2 phones active (for calls) at the same time

Thanks to LAnderson23, Rob72
I made some corrections above based on playing with my brand new 335i without navigation or enhanced bluetooth. I have an iPhone 5s and was able to connect to the USB port under the armrest. Based on my experience, I see no reason to purchase the BMW cable.
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2015, 10:14 PM   #53
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrays
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam70 View Post
I dont have my 328i yet - still 2 months away, my 328i has the Professional Nav but not the extended Bluetooth/USB.
Based on what ive read I think the following is correct...let me know if ive missed anything...

My understanding are the the following options exist (except radio and CD):
1. USB Memory stick in arm rest USB
2. iPod/Iphone in arm rest with BMW Y cable (USB and 3.5mm Stereo)
3. Copy from USB to internal HDD using USB in glove box.
4. iPod/iPhone in arm rest USB with standard apple cable
5. Bluetooth streaming

To use the above options you need:
1. Any model
2. Any model
3. Only with Professional Nav
4. Only with Extended Bluetooth/USB Worked for me
5. Only with Extended Bluetooth/USB Worked for me

What i havnt been able toget a clear picture on is what different functionality exists for these 5 options.

Can anybody add details about how the 5 different methods vary from a user interface/features perspective.

Im interested in:
Are there differences in the controls
Are there differences in the display (including cover art)
Are playlists available

1. Playlists:Yes (Tricky?), Album art:No Yes
2. Playlists:Yes, Album art:No
3. Playlists:Yes, Album art:Yes
4. Playlists:Yes, Album art:Yes, 2 phones active (for calls) at the same time
5. Playlists:Yes, Album art:? Probably not im guessing, 2 phones active (for calls) at the same time

Thanks to LAnderson23, Rob72
I made some corrections above based on playing with my brand new 335i without navigation or enhanced bluetooth. I have an iPhone 5s and was able to connect to the USB port under the armrest. Based on my experience, I see no reason to purchase the BMW cable.
He said that back in 2012 when we owners of the Exx had to use the Y cable. This is an old thread.

With the Fxx cars, yes, you just plug in your iPod/iPhone cable and it works and brings up album art.

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2015, 10:34 PM   #54
murrays
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltidef32 View Post
He said that back in 2012 when we owners of the Exx had to use the Y cable. This is an old thread.

With the Fxx cars, yes, you just plug in your iPod/iPhone cable and it works and brings up album art.
Ok, my mistake. That said, why is that the lead post in a sticky on an F30 forum and titled "Summary of all F30 USB / iPod / iPhone audio options"? Having read this entire thread along with some others, I fully expected to need to use a audio only cable to listen to my iPhone. Until your post, I didn't see Exx mentioned in this thread...perhaps I missed it.

Needless to say, I'm pleasantly surprised. I just wanted to make it clear for other buyers.
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2015, 10:57 PM   #55
AGONXF30
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i S-Line/Melbourne Red

The new NBT system can do a lot more than CIC.

I know that with CIC and WAV is tricky to get the playlist to show and to get the album art to show. It depends how it was embedded.
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2015, 09:37 AM   #56
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Yup, with my 2014 F30 with Tech package, all I do is plug my iPod in the center console USB port and get album art and play lists -- worked with my wife's iPod nano, my old iPod classic (until it died), & my iPod touch.

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2015, 10:06 AM   #57
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 WRX World Rally Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchcumsteen View Post
I just purchased a used 2010 328i and having issues with the USB connection.

I have an Iphone 6 Plus. When plugged in, it charges, but the menu does not recognixe the phone, says "insert USB".

This is a non-IDrive car, older. Any suggestions?
Look on the internet. I know there is an update site through BMW, but I think you need to have Connected Drive. Try that as your first step.....
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2015, 10:28 AM   #58
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Hi,

To Rick4345's point above, please go to this site:
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/con...re_update.html

All you then have to is enter last seven of car's VIN; will then take you to the appropriate Update file (UPD) -- in my case, I used UPD 5062 and it really helped with some Bluetooth problems I was having

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2016, 02:26 AM   #59
subsy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrays View Post
Ok, my mistake. That said, why is that the lead post in a sticky on an F30 forum and titled "Summary of all F30 USB / iPod / iPhone audio options"? Having read this entire thread along with some others, I fully expected to need to use a audio only cable to listen to my iPhone. Until your post, I didn't see Exx mentioned in this thread...perhaps I missed it.

Needless to say, I'm pleasantly surprised. I just wanted to make it clear for other buyers.
I agree - the OP should either be updated to be accurate given developments in the past couple of years, or should be made un-sticky - as is its a bit misleading.
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2016, 02:28 AM   #60
BimmerMad
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 3 wheeler

My mum has Pro Nav and HK. No Enhanced Bluetooth though.

She can use the USB port for an iPhone/iPod. No need for a Y Cable.

Also, full control of the iPhone + album art works over Bluetooth! I don't know why as I'm sure it's supposed to be a feature of the Enhanced Bluetooth.
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2016, 02:39 PM   #61
LifeasKelvin
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' 328i xDrive

So if this is an old thread will the Y-Cable show album art on a 2014 328i xDrive with iDrive capabilities. I don't have nav. nor do I have blue tooth streaming just BT audio ( to make calls ). Don't want to buy cord if it won't show artwork.
Appreciate 1
      02-29-2016, 08:41 AM   #62
murrays
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeasKelvin View Post
So if this is an old thread will the Y-Cable show album art on a 2014 328i xDrive with iDrive capabilities. I don't have nav. nor do I have blue tooth streaming just BT audio ( to make calls ). Don't want to buy cord if it won't show artwork.
Have you tried a USB cable? My lightning/USB cable shows album art when plugged into the center console.
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2016, 02:04 PM   #63
peikko
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDowson View Post
My mum has Pro Nav and HK. No Enhanced Bluetooth though.

She can use the USB port for an iPhone/iPod. No need for a Y Cable.

Also, full control of the iPhone + album art works over Bluetooth! I don't know why as I'm sure it's supposed to be a feature of the Enhanced Bluetooth.
Professional navigation includes all the features of enhanced Bluetooth and more. Interestingly I can stream but don't get album art from a HTC M8?!

Check and see if she has BMW Online and Connected Drive - if she does then you can use the connecteddrive app and get Spotify, tune-in radio etc to run through the car.

I just bought an ipod touch (will use wifi hotspot on phone) to get these features as my android phone (HTC M8) isn't compatible and the android version isn't meant to be up to much.
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2016, 02:34 PM   #64
saharmalu
Registered
Rep
Drives: toyota

If you have enhanced BT, then you should have the bluetooth streaming.

Appreciate 1
      05-09-2016, 10:24 AM   #65
S.A.Mohawk
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d Sedan

I have been trying to use a USB key to hold and play MP3 files. Not to copy the files to the internal HDD, but to play directly from the USB key.

I have a SanDisk 128GB USB drive with about 70GB of music. Once the drive is initially scanned, the music is searchable and playable just like the internally held music.

The issue I have is the USB key seems to become unreadable after a week or so. It plays fine for a week or so, just randomly stops being readable. I can then pull it back out and plug it in a computer and it says that it is not formatted. I am formatting the drive using ExFat due to the size, but it plays fine for a week so I do not think its a formatting thing.

Anyone having this issue?
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2018, 05:31 AM   #66
rocketpowered
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Is this normal?

My car has Bluetooth audio for phone calls and charges my phone via usb but neither of those work for music. Is this normal or is there something wrong with my iDrive system? It seems odd that these features wouldn't be standard, especially if it has the navigation system installed in it. Is the only work around for the new iPhone, that doesn't have a headphone jack, using a y-cable? Is the audio system going to be incompatible with new phones as they eliminate the usb cable for charging and rely on Bluetooth for audio? You'd think BMW wouldn't want their cars to have a major component outdated and useless in less than a decade.
Appreciate 1