F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > BMW F30 Stereo dissapointment. Any Audiophiles up in here? Looking to do a full setup
Extreme Powerhouse

08-08-2014, 04:01 AM   #1
335icandy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 328dX Msport Estoril Blue

BMW F30 Stereo dissapointment. Any Audiophiles up in here? Looking to do a full setup

Hey guys,

Just traded my E93 335i cabriolet (HK but decent for a cabrio) for a 2014 328D Xdrive sedan without Harman Kardon.

I critically listened to both systems in my home driveway for hours on end comparing the two, Harman Kardon and standard HiFi stereo in each car, and came to the conclusion I disliked both.

I ended up ordering without HK because I read somehere Audio upgrades may be easier with the standard HiFi system... more options and easier hookup? Is that true?

Anyways, I'd like to know if there are any fellow audiophiles here, who have already modded their BMW F30 stereo? What did you use, and what do you guys recommend?

I listen to everything from Classical, Jazz, Blues, Classic Rock, to House R&B, Hiphop, Alternative, and other various Electronic music....

My home stereo's consist of Martin Logan ESL electrostatic speakers, ML sub, center and rears... when I run two channel mode it's being fed through Luxman or McIntosh solid states (looking at Class A Tube amps now) or when running home theatre, a top end Marantz Pre/Power setup.

I'd like my car stereo greatly improved without spending Home audiophile kind of money, so within reason, but looking for the best results, so smooth low bass response, natural true Non-colored Mids, and Highs, Airy and open sound stage.

Please guide me!

Thank you in advance!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 07:39 PM   #2
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

HK wasn't good enough for you? Damn, tough customer haha.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 12:10 AM   #3
335icandy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalls90 View Post
HK wasn't good enough for you? Damn, tough customer haha.

No unfortunately not... they seem to be getting worse and worse as the years go on... The HK premium sound in my E46 M3's Coupe and cabriolet were good! ... my HK/Logic 7 in my E90 and E93 335i's were decent... and now I brought home two 2014 328D's... one Msport fully loaded wagon with HK, and one Sportline Premium PKG standard HiFi with subs underneath the seats.... pretty disappointed in both systems...

Has anyone went all out on Audio yet for their F30's? I would love to hear some feedback, see write ups, and get opinions on the best equipment and setup to do.

Any info is appreciated!

Thank you!

Also, i'm in Canada (Ontario) Where would I buy the special harness for our cars? technique harness or something like that?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 01:37 AM   #4
M-Powa!
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Msport/ SQ5

I agree with OP 100% the F30 setup is a joke. Even with the HK setup in the f30 my GTI's stocl Dynaudio setup blows the HK system out of the water. The string instruments are so much more sharp and crisp not to mention the sound is just not as muddy. I can't describe it but I just hate the way the HK's sound.

I too have a setup of Martin Logan ESL's but I'm hooked up to an Elite SC71 with some Motion 15's in the back along with a Klipsch Sub (waiting for a dynamo700). Wish I could afford a McIntosh setup but, just too much for me. I think the farthest I would go is running separates with Marantz. IIRC Dynaudio has some aftermarket setups. Perhaps look into those b/c even my GTI's stock Dynaudio sounds almost as crisp as my ESL (I probably set em up wrong tho).

Here's the Dynaudio Esotec setup I was talking about. The GTI's stock Dynaudio system is a toned down version of this iirc.

http://www.amazon.com/System-362-Dyn...eywords=esotec

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...osconi-am.html

Last edited by M-Powa!; 08-09-2014 at 02:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 03:50 AM   #5
335icandy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLittleX3 View Post
I agree with OP 100% the F30 setup is a joke. Even with the HK setup in the f30 my GTI's stocl Dynaudio setup blows the HK system out of the water. The string instruments are so much more sharp and crisp not to mention the sound is just not as muddy. I can't describe it but I just hate the way the HK's sound.

I too have a setup of Martin Logan ESL's but I'm hooked up to an Elite SC71 with some Motion 15's in the back along with a Klipsch Sub (waiting for a dynamo700). Wish I could afford a McIntosh setup but, just too much for me. I think the farthest I would go is running separates with Marantz. IIRC Dynaudio has some aftermarket setups. Perhaps look into those b/c even my GTI's stock Dynaudio sounds almost as crisp as my ESL (I probably set em up wrong tho).

Here's the Dynaudio Esotec setup I was talking about. The GTI's stock Dynaudio system is a toned down version of this iirc.

http://www.amazon.com/System-362-Dyn...eywords=esotec

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...osconi-am.html

Thanks man! See if you can get a deal on a Marantz SR-7007, or 7008... then run a seperate Power amp for your front three channels. I'd recommend Emotiva for the low price and amazing neutral sound with no colouration's. You'll be blown away! IMO Martin Logan is the best for home audio below $25,000..... after that price range, Wilson Audio all the way.

and Thank you! I'm going to look into the Dynaudio kits! They are a great company and I like their sound in home audio.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 07:00 AM   #6
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

I think I remember seeing a post about modifying the equalizer on the F30 audio to achieve better audio performance? Have you tried that?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 09:36 AM   #7
PabloK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

I ordered the H/K... to get the better amp, speakers (tweeters) are the weakness.

Bought the BAVSOUND for $1,000 - 14 replacement speakers..

Sold my stock h/k speakers for $800 to some guy in Taiwan since the H/K upgrade is like $4,000 for them.

Sound is much improved... one of the best systems I've had.
2017 Alpina B6
22 Ram Trx / 22 M5 CS
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 02:19 AM   #8
335icandy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

EQ settings only come with Logic 7 HK system... cannot access EQ menu in the HIFI premium standard stereo...

And if I upgrade, i will do amp, wiring, speakers, and more sound deadening. Your system is only as good as your weakest link... Audiophile term used religiously... lol
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 05:54 PM   #9
JP1906
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 328i and '12 640i

I just made a few changes to my system this past weekend, http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1023369.

I too am critical of audio (play piano by ear) and also spent too much on home audio, B&W, KEF, Pio Elite, Klipsch, Jamo, Polk, Marantz unfortunately the list goes on....currently running the KEFs downstairs and Klipsch up stairs.

I intended to go for the Morel 4" hybrids but decided to cut costs and go for the DLS UP4's. I just did a write up of my install, including the JL 1000/5v2 and 300/2. The sound is okay, but it can definitely be better with processing and different subs under the seat. Unfortunately, my baseline for caraudio is my home stereo, however, I had a pair of MB Quarts Q's about 9 years ago that I still cannot capture that same sound in any of my set-ups. If you have the ML's at home, you definitely will need to spend a little money to get those 4" speakers close to the electrostatic sound (especially in the ML's sweetspot).
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 11:47 PM   #10
4GET_AMG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i X-Drive M-Sport

is BAVSOUND better then hk by a lot or a little?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 01:28 AM   #11
335icandy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP1906 View Post
I just made a few changes to my system this past weekend, http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1023369.

I too am critical of audio (play piano by ear) and also spent too much on home audio, B&W, KEF, Pio Elite, Klipsch, Jamo, Polk, Marantz unfortunately the list goes on....currently running the KEFs downstairs and Klipsch up stairs.

I intended to go for the Morel 4" hybrids but decided to cut costs and go for the DLS UP4's. I just did a write up of my install, including the JL 1000/5v2 and 300/2. The sound is okay, but it can definitely be better with processing and different subs under the seat. Unfortunately, my baseline for caraudio is my home stereo, however, I had a pair of MB Quarts Q's about 9 years ago that I still cannot capture that same sound in any of my set-ups. If you have the ML's at home, you definitely will need to spend a little money to get those 4" speakers close to the electrostatic sound (especially in the ML's sweetspot).

Wow! Thanks for the reply! Your system is everything I'd want and more!

Wish you were closer so I could have a listen...
Appreciate 0