F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Album/Cover Artwork & Song Info Issue
ARMA SPEED

04-12-2015, 10:39 PM   #1
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

Album/Cover Artwork & Song Info Issue

Does anyone else have issues with iDrive displaying none at all, or incorrect album artwork? Quite often it gets stuck on a particular songs artwork. When the next song comes on the image stays the same unless the whole system is reset. I use Pandora which is pretty bad and sometimes doesn't show the artwork at all. Beatport which barely works. And Hype Machine which is actually the best but still gets stuck on certain songs. The songs play just fine but the artwork and song info is messed up. (artwork more often) I use the USB lightning connection exclusively for the best signal possible. My car is a 228 with the entry head unit with HK. No nav. No tech package. I actually coded my car to enable the enhanced BT and USB functions. Is that the reason it's not working properly, or does this happen to people with the technology package as well? It's quite irritating. Is there a fix? Do we need to wait for bmw to update the media software to be compatible with software newer than 5 years ago? Any info would be helpful. Do you guys have this problem? I posted this here since the 3 series has been around a lot longer and theres a million of them out there.
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2015, 11:06 PM   #2
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

Yes this happens to me with an iPod classic connected to USB.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2015, 11:54 PM   #3
twincam23
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 ActiveHybrid 3

read the post below. I had the same issue with album art not updating.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1086954
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 08:22 AM   #4
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by twincam23 View Post
read the post below. I had the same issue with album art not updating.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1086954
Okay but I coded the extended BT/USB into my car.. So it shouldn't have that function to begin with. What would I tell them..?

On second thought, I think it might show the album artwork when connected with the Y connecter. I've never used it. Hopefully it doesn't work with that and they'll update it anyway and it'll work after I re-code it. Make sense? Possible? Would I also be asking for version "I"? I have HU_ENTRY. Not NBT.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 08:28 AM   #5
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

You need a Combox and an FSC to really enable BMW Apps for MY2014 in a non-NBT 228i.

Otherwise your coding is useless for USB enhancements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2msport View Post
Does anyone else have issues with iDrive displaying none at all, or incorrect album artwork? Quite often it gets stuck on a particular songs artwork. When the next song comes on the image stays the same unless the whole system is reset. I use Pandora which is pretty bad and sometimes doesn't show the artwork at all. Beatport which barely works. And Hype Machine which is actually the best but still gets stuck on certain songs. The songs play just fine but the artwork and song info is messed up. (artwork more often) I use the USB lightning connection exclusively for the best signal possible. My car is a 228 with the entry head unit with HK. No nav. No tech package. I actually coded my car to enable the enhanced BT and USB functions. Is that the reason it's not working properly, or does this happen to people with the technology package as well? It's quite irritating. Is there a fix? Do we need to wait for bmw to update the media software to be compatible with software newer than 5 years ago? Any info would be helpful. Do you guys have this problem? I posted this here since the 3 series has been around a lot longer and theres a million of them out there.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 08:32 AM   #6
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
You need a Combox and an FSC to really enable BMW Apps for MY2014 in a non-NBT 228i.

Otherwise your coding is useless for USB enhancements.
I have a combox. Don't know what a fsc is. And I'm not trying to use the bmw apps. I just wanted a direct digital interface to play my music to get the best sound quality possible. In that case, my coding worked great. I'm just trying to get the metadata and album artwork to work properly.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 08:45 AM   #7
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I have a combox. Don't know what a fsc is. And I'm not trying to use the bmw apps. I just wanted a direct digital interface to play my music to get the best sound quality possible. In that case, my coding worked great. I'm just trying to get the metadata and album artwork to work properly.
BMW Apps is the OEM interface that allows the connection of the white Apple USB cable directly to the iDrive USB port. That is the Enhanced USB part when there is no Navigation. BMW Apps is FSC (enabling code) activated -no FSC = no BMW Apps. BMW sells the FSC or forum vendor-provided.

All your problems are caused by not having BMW Apps enabled. I have no such Album Art problems (other than Spotify Album Art via WiFi but not via LTE, so it seems like a problem with Spotify) with my NBT -BMW Apps included with Nav.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 01:17 PM   #8
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
BMW Apps is the OEM interface that allows the connection of the white Apple USB cable directly to the iDrive USB port. That is the Enhanced USB part when there is no Navigation. BMW Apps is FSC (enabling code) activated -no FSC = no BMW Apps. BMW sells the FSC or forum vendor-provided.

All your problems are caused by not having BMW Apps enabled. I have no such Album Art problems (other than Spotify Album Art via WiFi but not via LTE, so it seems like a problem with Spotify) with my NBT -BMW Apps included with Nav.
Hm.. That doesn't exactly make sense. "Needing the bmw apps in order for my phone to talk to my iDrive.". As is now my phone talks to idrive just fine. Plays music via BT or USB. Shows meta data and artwork. I can skip tracks etc. It just doesn't work all of the time.. The meta data that is. So because it works sometimes there's got to be something in there (software) that is capable of Reading and connecting to my phone.

I've read other users having issues with Pandora and other sound apps as well and they paid for bmw apps. That leads me to believe there's an update somewhere. Do you play all your music through the bmw app? I have read countless posts that the sound quality sucks through the bmw app. And that's a waste of time for me. My USB connection is the best possible and Sq is most important.

I appreciate your help, not trying to argue. Perhaps you can expand on how the bmw app talks to the car. How much is the fsc code? Something I can do myself?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 02:13 PM   #9
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

If you really want to learn what is BMW Apps (implemented 4 years ago) and what an FSC is (some 12 years ago or so) then you should search a little more so it can make sense to you.

I provided the answer to your problem already.

Quote:
Hm.. That doesn't exactly make sense. "Needing the bmw apps in order for my phone to talk to my iDrive.". As is now my phone talks to idrive just fine. Plays music via BT or USB. Shows meta data and artwork. I can skip tracks etc. It just doesn't work all of the time.. The meta data that is. So because it works sometimes there's got to be something in there (software) that is capable of Reading and connecting to my phone.

I've read other users having issues with Pandora and other sound apps as well and they paid for bmw apps. That leads me to believe there's an update somewhere. Do you play all your music through the bmw app? I have read countless posts that the sound quality sucks through the bmw app. And that's a waste of time for me. My USB connection is the best possible and Sq is most important.

I appreciate your help, not trying to argue. Perhaps you can expand on how the bmw app talks to the car. How much is the fsc code? Something I can do myself?
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2015, 07:53 PM   #10
otay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

I also had the problem of song info not updating on the car's screen. After reading thru this thread, and the other one twincam posted in this thread, plus a bit more research, I was able to fix it.

Basically, it was a software update. My NBT was already I14275A, but had these older levels:
Media: MN-2.052.001
Telephone: TN-2.052.001

Looked up my production date, because the www.bmw.com/update site said there were 2 possible updates for my VIN. One update for build date 3/2014 and later, and one for 2/2014 and earlier. It was actually built in February, so I tried that first, but it wouldn't update. Then tried the 2nd choice from 3/2104 & up: UPD05062. There's a link on the site to download the "readme" Software Update Information file: http://www.bmw.com/_common/shared/ow...PD05062_EN.pdf It actually lists the issue, "Remedies a problem where the old meta‐data are displayed after changing the track."

After update info:
Telephone: TN-2.255.062
Media: MN-2.255.060

All is well! Funny thing: I've had the car for about a year and never messed with BMW Apps. Always kept a 64GB iPod connected to USB and occasionally used my phone thru Bluetooth if there was a different song I wanted to play. But, I recently let my free 1 year Sirius XM subscription expire, because (IMHO) the sound quality sucks. That's when I started using my Pandora One subscription via the iPhone 6 and Bluetooth...and had the problem described here. After researching this fix, I've also learned how to access BMW Apps via "Connected Drive" selection and now can also use Pandora thru that interface when my iPhone is connected to USB. The advantage being you can use the better interface and your iDrive controller to rate and skip songs, etc. And (maybe) better sound quality (but I'm not sure what bit rate Pandora One does thru iPhone app...that's the next research project)

Thanks for everyone's help!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 05:00 AM   #11
kingsgrind
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW F30 335i xDrive

FIXED

To fix this issue of album art not showing when playing music from iPhone, you need to go to BMW website and download the newest update the for the iDrive and put it on a USB drive. Once the file is on th USB drive plug it in to your car's USB port and upload via the setting menu.

Last edited by kingsgrind; 11-29-2020 at 05:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 02:57 AM   #12
Marsey76
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsgrind View Post
To fix this issue of album art not showing when playing music from iPhone, you need to go to BMW website and download the newest update the for the iDrive and put it on a USB drive. Once the file is on th USB drive plug it in to your car's USB port and upload via the setting menu.
I have an issue with album art too. It will display for a couple of tracks and then only randomly display after that. If I go from media to the menu and back again the art work loads instantly. Going back to the menu and it takes a few seconds to then populate the thumb nail image on the media option.
So it is definitely a software issue in the car.

All my software is up to date according to the BMW update site using my VIN. 2018 build car.

I am wondering if my only option is to go back to the dealer ship and ask them to re-flash the software.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 01:31 PM   #13
f4r0kh
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 30d 2016

Happens to me from time to time when ocnnected to my iPhone via bluetooth. Switching to radio and back to bluetooth (External devices) is what fixes it for me
Appreciate 0