F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Retrofit comfort access?
ARMA SPEED

04-06-2015, 12:08 PM   #23
f30GTR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 AW F30 335i M-Sport MT

Can someone post the part number for the door handles? The link above doesnt lead anywhere. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 12:35 PM   #24
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30GTR View Post
Can someone post the part number for the door handles? The link above doesnt lead anywhere. Thanks.
This page has the part numbers:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...94&hg=51&fg=10

It looks like in addition to the actual handle, you have to replace the "system latch" in the doors as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 02:16 PM   #25
f30GTR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks roxxor. I take it you've already researched retrofitting of comfort access. By the looks of it the doors might already have the cables for comforts access.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...83&hg=61&fg=10
none of the part numbers exclude comfort access... or am i missing something.
Found the antennas http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...64&hg=65&fg=30

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post
This page has the part numbers:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...94&hg=51&fg=10

It looks like in addition to the actual handle, you have to replace the "system latch" in the doors as well.

Last edited by f30GTR; 04-06-2015 at 04:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 05:04 PM   #26
roxxor
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thanks roxxor. I take it you've already researched retrofitting of comfort access. By the looks of it the doors might already have the cables for comforts access.
none of the part numbers exclude comfort access... or am i missing something.
Found the antennas http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...64&hg=65&fg=30
Actually I hadn't as my car has the Premium pkg, just enjoy reading the retrofit threads and chiming in when I can

The antenna's were hidden in the audio/navigation section of realoem.
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...64&hg=65&fg=30

Also, you would need the wiring for those if it isn't pre-wired, and if you want the trunk opening option there are a couple other parts/sensors needed.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 07:04 PM   #27
f30GTR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Actually I hadn't as my car has the Premium pkg, just enjoy reading the retrofit threads and chiming in when I can

The antenna's were hidden in the audio/navigation section of realoem.
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...64&hg=65&fg=30

Also, you would need the wiring for those if it isn't pre-wired, and if you want the trunk opening option there are a couple other parts/sensors needed.
The trunk I probably won't do as I barely use it, but the doors would be nice. I wish there was a diagram of the location of the antennas as it's hard to tell from the realoem image. It would be nice to find out if the car is pre wired before I jump down the rabbit hole.
Btw, retrofitting is like a crack. You can't ever get enough.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 10:18 PM   #28
roxxor
Major
Rep

Quote:
The trunk I probably won't do as I barely use it, but the doors would be nice. I wish there was a diagram of the location of the antennas as it's hard to tell from the realoem image. It would be nice to find out if the car is pre wired before I jump down the rabbit hole.
Btw, retrofitting is like a crack. You can't ever get enough.
Here are a couple locations you can check(aside from removing the side skirts): Click the link to see an image of the location

- Under the lift-out panel in the trunk(what you remove to access storage/fuse box)

- Under the gear selector cover

- Behind the panel for the rear A/C vents
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2015, 02:09 PM   #29
f30GTR
First Lieutenant
Rep

I guess so far so good. I found the 2 antennas under the shifter and in the rear vents. Those are the internal antenna for convenience access. No antenna in the trunk as that is for comfort access. From the picture you can see the part number matches "Interior antenna convenience access - 65209220832". The next step is to remove the door handle to make sure that the connector has 4 wires. Actually this should be only 2 as the f30 have the leds in the keylock cover. I got confused by the setup of the f10. With some more research I found the E90 have the leds on the keylock cover also but they use 4 pin connector for their comfort access. Not sure if all 4 pin are used. I might have to remove the door cover on inside to see what cables go to the handle. On side note the E90 door handles look the same as the F30. Also I assume that the only coding needed will be VO S322A to FEM.
I guess I will have to remove the side skirts to see if the antennas are there which i doubt. I will have to wait for a more warmer water to do this.
Quote:
Here are a couple locations you can check(aside from removing the side skirts): Click the link to see an image of the location

- Under the lift-out panel in the trunk(what you remove to access storage/fuse box)

- Under the gear selector cover

- Behind the panel for the rear A/C vents
Attached Images

Last edited by f30GTR; 04-07-2015 at 03:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 02:35 PM   #30
f30GTR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Oh, one more thing the locking mechanism won't be needed as realoem states that the part numbers are the same for cars with no comfort access and with it, which is good because the mechanism alone is $101 on amazon. Cheap compared to the other source.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 03:27 PM   #31
roxxor
Major
Rep

That's good news, I missed that they had the same part #.

Surprising that your car actually already has the antennas, usually if the car doesn't have the option they don't include extras, unless those are also somehow used for the normal keyless entry.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 04:03 PM   #32
f30GTR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Surprising that your car actually already has the antennas, usually if the car doesn't have the option they don't include extras, unless those are also somehow used for the normal keyless entry.
I am going to assume they are for the keyless entry until I find a outside antenna. Does ISTA show where exactly the outside antennas are. For the i3 and X3 shows that they are in the side skirt but I want to verify.
The diagram does not show bracket with those antennas I want to say that they are not in the side skirts.

Last edited by f30GTR; 04-07-2015 at 04:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 04:42 PM   #33
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:

All F30s have the antenna for the standard keyless start.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 04:52 PM   #34
f30GTR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
All F30s have the antenna for the standard keyless start.
Yes, it seems you are correct Technic.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 04:57 PM   #35
f30GTR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Looking through the diagram for the wiring harness for the doors. It is getting little confusing. For the driver side there are 3 options and seems the first 2 are replaced by the 3rd line and none of are specific to comfort access, lightning packaging or memory seats. When you look at the passenger side, the cables do vary based on that options the car has. Based on that information I would like to think that the driver's side harness might be pre-wired for all options. This would make things easier as we can only add comfort access to the driver's door where it's needed most. Sorry passenger no comfort access for you. I am not sure how that would be useful unless you just want to unlock your car from that side to grab something from the glove compartment.

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 05:22 PM   #36
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

I think that you may be correct.

Three main parts are required for the minimum retrofit if everything else is compatible with Comfort Access: driver's door latch, handle and (1) antenna.

Latch in particular depends if the car already have the OEM Alarm and no theftproofing device (S8TGA). If it does then it will work with Comfort Access, otherwise it requires a new latch.

Quote:
Looking through the diagram for the wiring harness for the doors. It is getting little confusing. For the driver side there are 3 options and seems the first 2 are replaced by the 3rd line and none of are specific to comfort access, lightning packaging or memory seats. When you look at the passenger side, the cables do vary based on that options the car has. Based on that information I would like to think that the driver's side harness might be pre-wired for all options. This would make things easier as we can only add comfort access to the driver's door where it's needed most. Sorry passenger no comfort access for you. I am not sure how that would be useful unless you just want to unlock your car from that side to grab something from the glove compartment.

Appreciate 1
      04-07-2015, 07:13 PM   #37
f30GTR
First Lieutenant
Rep

And the bad news. I just took the driver door apart and the harness doesn't come pre wired. I didn't check the connector that goes into the chassis to see if there are extra pins there that a new harness can take advantage. So at this point a new harness would be needed and a door handle. On top we don't know if the external antennas are pre wired either. So at this point it doesn't look good to retrofit CA.

Last edited by f30GTR; 04-07-2015 at 09:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 07:44 PM   #38
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 328i M-Sport

Awww man

328fresh / f30GTR - don't give up so easily... I love these kinds of DIY threads! With the collective brain power in this forum, we can figure this out ... together
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 09:07 PM   #39
roxxor
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidlyboy View Post
Awww man

328fresh / f30GTR - don't give up so easily... I love these kinds of DIY threads! With the collective brain power in this forum, we can figure this out ... together
Now I want popcorn LOL!!!

To answer your question F30GTR, yes, the exterior antennas are located behind the side skirts. You remove the bottom screws, then pull gently to remove it. The antenna(or "aerial" as Rheingold calls it) will be behind it.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 09:11 PM   #40
f30GTR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidlyboy View Post
Awww man

Haha, I don't want to. It's fun and addictive to tear my car apart. Lol
Mega is being pain in the ass I can't get file .34 for ISTA. I need to figure where exactly the external antenna is for the driver side. Also I'm assuming there needs to wiring from the door to the FEM module. If that's missing then we need to make writing for that but we would need to know the pin out to the FEM.
Let's just say that we can source the door harness, door handle and one antenna and if CA works with just those it still would be a win. Replacing the harness won't be hard at all, but if we have to run wires to FEM that would be pain.
The electrical pdf from bimmerfast that shows CA isn't a big help as it it's only a general wiring diagram but I was able to figure that the door handle use 4 pins. Actually pin 3 from the passenger door handle connects to pin 4 on the driver side door and also to something at FEM called KI.30F. The description says "terminal 30, fault dependent". I'm not electrician so I can't tell what the icon in the diagram means. Fuse? Ground?
Another thing I figured is that FEM connects to a module for the tailgate so if we VO I think FEM might complain although the antenna and the module connect to REM.
Attached Images

Last edited by f30GTR; 04-07-2015 at 09:33 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2015, 09:16 PM   #41
f30GTR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Now I want popcorn LOL!!!

To answer your question F30GTR, yes, the exterior antennas are located behind the side skirts. You remove the bottom screws, then pull gently to remove it. The antenna(or "aerial" as Rheingold calls it) will be behind it.
Thanks roxxor I will take a look. I'm not crossing my fingers though.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 09:57 PM   #42
roxxor
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thanks roxxor I will take a look. I'm not crossing my fingers though.
This might help at some point, figured I needed some more work with Rheingold and Paint today

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 10:52 PM   #43
f30GTR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
This might help at some point, figured I needed some more work with Rheingold and Paint today

Aha, this will definitely help. The description are little vague, but at least I can get to the FEM module and check the connectors to see which cables are there. Should be able to tell what is pre-wired and what is not. Thanks roxxor, you rock.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 11:41 PM   #44
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 328i M-Sport

I have some additional info too, but there are some discrepancies/questions:

1) From the Comfort Access wiring diagram, it shows that the driver-side electronic outer door handle module connects to 173*3B in the FEM, but from the pinout descriptions for 173*3B, I cant for the life of me find which pins are for CA. Take a look at that last table on the bottom and see if you can find any applicable pins.

2) There are a ton of interior/exterior aerial antenna's but for the purpose of the door handles only, i'm not sure which ones apply. Why so many? From the description it sounded like different model cars will have different sets of antennas.. but not sure what the criteria is for having more/less antennas are... I didn't include them all, so that's why roxxor's info is slightly different than mine. I mainly included the ones for the door handles.

3) The door handle I get. The door latch I get. But there seems to be some 3rd sensor/module of some sort connected to the door handle module that is required. What is this part for? It seems to be mounted on the inside of both driver and passenger side doors...

Some initial observations:

1) There's going to be a s*** load of wiring required. At least 3, maybe 4 connectors in the FEM will be affected. You will be living and breathing FEM.
2) Antennas each have a pair of wires. Each one will have to be run into one of the FEM's 173*xB connectors, depending on how many will be hooked up. Better buy a lot of extra pins.

EDIT: 4/8/2015 6pm MST - I've updated the wiring diagrams to the most accurate and correct ones. Answer to my own question #1 - connector A173*3B is only used to power the driver side door handle module
Attached Images

Last edited by squidlyboy; 04-08-2015 at 08:00 PM..
Appreciate 0