F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Bluetooth music streaming on 6NH with tune2air?
Extreme Powerhouse

02-22-2014, 08:33 AM   #1
2insane
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 316d, Sportline - AW/Black

Question Bluetooth music streaming on 6NH with tune2air?

Hi,

First off, sory for yet another bluetooth music topic, but I've been searching the forum(s) and haven't really found an answer yet so I figured I would just ask it to you guys directly.

So I've got an F30 sedan with the (default) iDrive system and I have the 6NH option (usb-port for memory devices) and bluetooth for phone-capabilities.

So with that option, of course, I can't stream music from my iphone to the car, i have to use memory sticks.
The annoying part is that I keep forgetting to take the memory stick out of the car to put new music on it (i promise i'm not just being lazy, i just genuinely forget ).

Now, i recently found this product: ViseeO Tune2Air WMA2000
(link: http://www.viseeo.com/ugC_ShowroomIt...0&hidShowID=21 )

Which seems very interesting, but of course i'm wondering whether or not this will be compatible with my car?

Bear in mind that I'm only interested in streaming music, i don't have the need to see any album artwork etc, just being able to see the list of music files (like with a memory stick) would be great!

Does anyone here have any experience with this product, or can tell me whether or not this will work for me?

Thanks in advance.

- Oli

EDIT:
Would also like to mention that I have a 30-pin Y-cable, that I could connect to the tune2air, would that make it work?

Last edited by 2insane; 02-22-2014 at 09:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 06:30 PM   #2
DRG1983
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i

You actually need the WMA1000 and the Y cable, not the WMA2000. I have this setup in my 2013 328i with 6NH and it works fine - you interact through iDrive the same as if the phone was plugged directly into the Y cable.

The only quirk I've noticed is that if I'm listening to music through Spotify, the next time I start the car it will play the first song in my iTunes library instead of resuming Spotify. If you're listening to something through iTunes it will remember the position and resume correctly. Otherwise, playing sounds from other apps like Waze while listening to music works fine and I can place/receive calls while playing music over bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 01:25 AM   #3
muzo178
Swiss Army Knife
Turkey
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG1983
You actually need the WMA1000 and the Y cable, not the WMA2000. I have this setup in my 2013 328i with 6NH and it works fine - you interact through iDrive the same as if the phone was plugged directly into the Y cable.

The only quirk I've noticed is that if I'm listening to music through Spotify, the next time I start the car it will play the first song in my iTunes library instead of resuming Spotify. If you're listening to something through iTunes it will remember the position and resume correctly. Otherwise, playing sounds from other apps like Waze while listening to music works fine and I can place/receive calls while playing music over bluetooth.
Does it reliably show the name of the track that is playing on Spotify? Or does it default to showing tracks from your iTunes library like when it is connected directly with the Y-cable?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 11:49 AM   #4
DRG1983
United_States
Rep

Spotify is hit or miss. If you're listening to a playlist, it will generally show the tracks correctly but occasionally not. If you're listening to radio or random tracks, it will display your iTunes tracks. You still need to select the playlist on the iPhone, go to Current Playback on iDrive, and then can pause/fwd/rev with the in-car controls.

I had similar issues with Spotify over bluetooth in my '12 G37S, which had much better iPod/iPhone support, so I think it's more of a Spotify/iOS issue than something BMW-specific.

Overall the ViseeO is a good solution that has some custom firmware on it that other bluetooth music adapters lack to make it compatible with iDrive. I had tried an auris freeda that I had laying around from a Kickstarter and it didn't work with iDrive at all so I had to control everything from the phone, and even though it supports apt-x, I found the audio quality to be worse than the ViseeO, which is actually quite good (or at least no worse than the standard Y cable as it still relies on the Aux plug).
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 12:03 PM   #5
kromix
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 340i AW MSport

Garage List
2016 340i (F30)  [0.00]
I just wrote about a product I tried out, and love, sounds like what ur looking for...

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15487309
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 02:34 PM   #6
2insane
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep

EDIT: @Kromix, I thought your suggestion was brilliant but i forgot that i won't be able to control the music through the iDrive system though, but still thanks for the suggestion!

Last edited by 2insane; 02-26-2014 at 03:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 03:31 PM   #7
2insane
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG1983 View Post

@DRG1983 Does this Y-cable have to be a bmw original Y-cable? (the one they sell themselves)?
I have a Y-cable but it was an aftermarket one i got some place cheap :P

The reason i'm asking this is because when i connect the iphone to the Y-cable directly, i can play music in the car, but the iDrive says "Device not supported" when trying to access the playlist.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 03:58 PM   #8
DRG1983
United_States
Rep

The dealer included the Y-cable with my car so I have not tried an aftermarket cable with the Viseoo. I know they offer their own Y cable so perhaps some aftermarket cables will work, but my guess would be that you'd need another cable.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 01:16 PM   #9
2insane
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
The dealer included the Y-cable with my car so I have not tried an aftermarket cable with the Viseoo. I know they offer their own Y cable so perhaps some aftermarket cables will work, but my guess would be that you'd need another cable.
@DRG1983 Do you have the 6NH or the 6NS? I just contacted someone from my bmw dealership and he says the y-cable in combination with 6NH will be audio only, no idrive control over the playlist,.. He says to be able to use the idrive controller to navigate through the iphones' music library, you need the 6NS (advanced bluetooth)

Thats a downer
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 04:26 PM   #10
DRG1983
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2insane View Post
@DRG1983 Do you have the 6NH or the 6NS? I just contacted someone from my bmw dealership and he says the y-cable in combination with 6NH will be audio only, no idrive control over the playlist,.. He says to be able to use the idrive controller to navigate through the iphones' music library, you need the 6NS (advanced bluetooth)

Thats a downer
6NH as verified through BMWVIN.com. If I had advanced bluetooth I wouldn't have needed the ViseeO adapter. The person at your dealership is an idiot.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 05:27 PM   #11
2insane
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
6NH as verified through BMWVIN.com. If I had advanced bluetooth I wouldn't have needed the ViseeO adapter. The person at your dealership is an idiot.
Haha thank you! i was kind of hoping for that answer!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 10:21 AM   #12
2insane
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep

Wink

@DRG1983 , I took your word for it and went to my dealership today and bought that oh so overpriced little Y-cable (€ 69 / $ 95 / £ 57) despite what that person from the dealership said about not being able to control it through the iDrive system.

The person at the dealership who handles accessories/parts etc was great though, he allowed me to go test the cable in my car first before buying it so I took my old iphone 4 (which has the 30-pin connector), tried it and just like you said, it works! with the playlist showing up on iDrive etc.

So I bought the cable and when i got home i ordered the Viseeo Tune2Air WMA1000.
So hopefully by end of this week or by next week i'll have the bluetooth working

Thanks for your help and information!

PS: They also had a y-cable and a normal usb cable both with lightning connectors which is interesting, but even though i use my iphone 5s now, i picked the 30pin connector one because of course the Tune2Air is a 30pin connector as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 11:54 AM   #13
2insane
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep

Talking

UPDATE:

So the Tune2Air arrived at work today, I was eager to go and try it out but of course I had to wait until I was done with work...

Anyway, jumped into the car, plugged in the Y-Cable, hooked up the tune2air to the 30pin connector, paired my phone to it and BAM! it started playing and my playlist immediately showed up on the iDrive system!

This is awesome!

In total this cost me €168 ($230 / £137), the Tune2air was €99 from the webshop I bought it from and the bmw Y-cable was €69.
This could have been done cheaper by buying an oem bmw y-cable off ebay or something like that but whats done is done so.

Also not sure how much it would have been to ask my bmw dealership to retrofit the bluetooth music streaming but i'm sure it wouldn't be less then this, probably even more then 168 in fact.

Anyway, i got what i wanted so i'm very pleased with this result!

Next thing to do is have some cup holder inserts 3D printed that fit smaller sized cans like red bull's so they don't fly all over the place when turning or braking hard ^^
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 02:57 PM   #14
darwin1984
Rep
Drives: 2014 320i

I just got one too even though my air enabler also arrived from Amazon this morning after i paid for overnight shipping. :-)
But I wanted to try the oTune because it uses power from the BMW Y cable, is small and fits in the console out of sight, and places a menu on the screen.
It works great, sounds good, plays all my iPhone music, streaming music, and podcasts from my podcast app. Really happy with this solution. I'm sure the air enabler is good to but it's bulkier, requires power, and doesn't use the screen so its going back to Amazon without me even opening the box.
I was really not happy when I found out the only way to play from my iPhone 5s in my new 2014 320i is aux to aux. This solves that very neatly for less than $100.
This is the place I bought it from;
Creative Car Audio
534 W katella Ave
Orange CA 92867
714 7444438
They are on eBay here but I'm about 30 miles from there and drove up and got one. Nice guy, he let me try before buying.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123

Also Tune2air has firmware updates here;
http://www.viseeo.com/ugC_Down_Detail.asp?hidShowID=15

Last edited by darwin1984; 03-05-2014 at 03:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 05:51 PM   #15
DRG1983
United_States
Rep

Glad it worked out for you all. It's a pretty good solution and I'm surprised it doesn't get mentioned more. Definitely beats paying $600 for enhanced bluetooth/usb. I found out about it a few months ago on some Audi forums - it seems pretty popular with the VW/AUDI crew.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 09:08 AM   #16
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i 6MT w/ MPS & MPE

two solutions.

1) I found a cheap USB audio receiver that I plug into my USB port and run the audio cable to the aux in

2) I hard wired a line out cable/charger for my iPhone and got a dash mount holder. The line out on the iPhone goes directly to the aux input and my phone charges at the same time. Best part is I free up my USB port from above #1 solution for a key filled with music.

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 03:43 PM   #17
Kentaah
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320i GT xDrive

Quote:
I have a F34 with 6NH (S6NHA according to bmwvin) and I can't stream any music even though I have an original BMW y-cable. I just get the message that the device is not supported. Same result as using normal Apple USB cable. Any advice what to try next?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 07:36 AM   #18
gab2409
Rep
Drives: 328i

Can I ask why you would use the wma1000 and the y adapter when the wma2000 appears to be designed for a straight usb connection? Wouldn't that be a cleaner connection?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 09:27 PM   #19
DRG1983
United_States
Rep

You need the WMA1000 for the same reason the Y-cable is required instead of a standard iPhone cable - you need to split analog line-out to feed the aux input. There is no audio passed over USB without the enhanced USB/bluetooth option. WMA2000 will not function correctly - it will draw power from USB but not allow you to control through iDrive or pass audio to the HiFi.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 07:16 AM   #20
YeaG30
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i

Garage List
Just purchased the WMA3000B. Looks to be designed specifically for BMW. Works flawlessly and I have an iPhone 6 with iOS 9.1 installed. No hiccups or problems. Just get it if you are looking for a great solution.
      12-01-2015, 08:00 PM   #21
330i-M-sport
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw 320i

Any idea what the best option for me is, I want to stream music wirelessly from a Android device and be able to skip tracks through the steering wheel or in dash??
Appreciate 0