F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > New N20 Tune Available - aFe Scorcher
Extreme Powerhouse

11-30-2012, 04:13 PM   #23
J Tiberius
Captain
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Imperial Blue Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibawal
What is a power scorcher?
It's the piggyback tune that this entire thread is about.
      12-01-2012, 04:17 AM   #24
Adceleratus
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i M Sport Estoril Blue II

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Tiberius View Post
I ordered the power scorcher for my 328i on the 26th (Cyber Monday savings!!) and am just waiting for it to be shipped. Will report back with my impressions as soon as it gets here.
Awesome! Looking forward to hearing how it is. Anyone else try this tune yet or hear of news of other upcoming tunes?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 09:19 AM   #25
chugster
B0$$
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 HS M2C

Quote:
It's the piggyback tune that this entire thread is about.
hey i see that you're from the NoVa area! i'm in the area too so lmk how the tune goes when u get it in!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #26
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocohead View Post
The best bet on any warranty question is to consult a local attorney well versed in warranty law.

Second best bet is to read the warranty terms in your user manuals. They are very specific - BMW only guarantees the parts on the car to be free from defects in materials and workmanship. The warranty does (and should) not cover changes you make to the car that remove the original parts.

People will say that BMW has to prove that a modification caused the defect. That is technically true in the US (not sure about anywhere else). BUT...and this is a BIG but... do you really have the resources to fight BMW over this? They have an army of engineers, experts on the car. What do you have on your side? The internet? SEMA? Realistically you lose that battle because you can't afford to fight it. So while the argument is technically correct, it is also largely irrelevant.

Here's the bottom line - assume ANY mod you do to your car may void the warranty on parts in any way related to the mod. If you can't afford, and are unwilling, to pay for subsequent repairs yourself, don't do it. Mod responsibly and with integrity and don't try to cheat BMW into paying for repairs necessitated by your modifications.

Good information and your conclusion is sound advice.

Clarification correction on this part:
People will say that BMW has to prove that a modification caused the defect. That is technically true in the US (not sure about anywhere else).

People will say that, BUT, technically and legally it's not true.
If the manufacturers warranty states that modifications will void the warranty, then legally the manufacturer CAN void the warranty if the owner modifies the car.
For example, in the question of a tune voiding the engine warranty, YES it will, and the manufacturer does not have to prove the modification caused the engine problem.

The law you are referencing is the Magnuson Moss warranty act.
It does not protect the consumer so that the consumer can modify the engines operation. If the consumer does add a tune to modify the engines performance, then the consumer has violated the terms of the stated warranty, thus the manufacturer doesn't have to prove that the modification caused the problem.

The act was created to protect consumers from being forced to purchase brand specific items, such as oil filters or air filters or spark plugs, in order to maintain the warranty. If a manufacturer requires the owner to only purchase their brand of air filter in order to maintain warranty, then the manufacturer must provide that part free of charge during the warranty.
Per the warranty act, if the manufacturer does not provide the required brand part, then they must honor the warranty if the customer used a different brand air filter, as long as it meets any specified requirements, ie "OEM equivalent". Requiring the customer to purchase the specific brand is a "tie in" purchase, and that is forbidden by the act.

A "modification" is not simply using a different brand part. It is a "modification" of the engines warranted operating parameters.
Yes, adding/installing/using an aftermarket tune WILL void the warranty.
BUT, the dealer or manufacturer has to find it first in order to blame the tune.

As for the question of voiding the warranty if something is wrong with the suspension, and the dealer discovers a modified tune, that can get into a legal dispute and debate. The manufacturer can argue that the added power caused by the tune also added more stress to the suspension and thus they are voiding any warranty work on a failed suspension part.
The customer, likely their lawyer, could argue that a failed damper, for example, is not the result of the power modification as it is a completely different system in the car, etc....
Perhaps this is the scenario you were trying to express?

To all:
As it's been stated on many car forums, if you install a tune or modified parts, then make sure you uninstall those things BEFORE going to the dealer. Don't rely on believing that there is some magic law that protects you so that you can do anything you want to your car while under warranty.
That's not what the law is intended to protect.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 09:19 AM   #27
J Tiberius
Captain
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Imperial Blue Sport Line

Installed the power scorcher as soon as it arrived on Saturday. Unbelievably easy 5 minute install and the results are extremely impressive. Drivability in comfort mode is greatly improved, as there is much more immediate power for overtaking while still retaining the smooth shifts (automatic trans). Sport+ is FANTASTIC! Power delivery is smooth throughout the rev range without a hitch.

The quality of the materials on the afe are quite good as well. It feels more sturdy than the PBX I had on my E90, and overall I am thoroughly impressed. Highly recommended!
      12-10-2012, 03:57 PM   #28
eric@helix
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 M Coupe, 08 135i, '12 328i

We've got nearly 5000 miles on the shop 328 (N20) and a beta BMS JB. Nothing but good performance and reliability so far.
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2012, 12:01 AM   #29
RollingLower42
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335I

Garage List
I went to BMW for a early oil change today (at 13,100 miles) and they said the oil was still good and that I come back in a couple thousand miles.

I asked the guy that helped me specifically, " If I mod my BMW, will you guys not touch my car? "

He said basically if you are bringing the car in for anything like service, then they are not going to hassle you or give you shit. He said bring it modded out for oil changes and what not.

He said it was more warranty related issues that the customer may bring up, then they will pay attention and say something about mods...

So moral of the story IMO? Take off mods before asking anything warranty related.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 12:16 AM   #30
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingHard28 View Post
Take off mods before asking anything warranty related.
And how easy is it to remove the Scorcher & F30 JB1 for just those occasional purposes. By the way, it is not a question, rather a statement. Answer - VERY easy.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 10:17 PM   #31
gragi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDr F10 M Sport

Quote:
Installed the power scorcher as soon as it arrived on Saturday. Unbelievably easy 5 minute install and the results are extremely impressive. Drivability in comfort mode is greatly improved, as there is much more immediate power for overtaking while still retaining the smooth shifts (automatic trans). Sport+ is FANTASTIC! Power delivery is smooth throughout the rev range without a hitch.

The quality of the materials on the afe are quite good as well. It feels more sturdy than the PBX I had on my E90, and overall I am thoroughly impressed. Highly recommended!
Hi there, how are you liking so far? Any faulty messages? All good? Please reply with as much info as you can regarding scorcher. I am about to order. Thanks a lot in advance
2011 535xDrive F10 AFE CATBACK, AFE SCORCHER, AFE Performance Air Filter, H&R, AR Down Pipe, ER Charge Pipe.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #32
MB-SAB
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Luxury

Quote:

Great! I got the whole aFe package for the 328i: power scorcher + Stage 2 Cold Air Intake + Intake Scoop + Downpipe. As soon as I have them installed I will post some impressions and some stock vs. tuned dyno charts (if possible - will check later with my tuner).
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 01:32 PM   #33
bnekic
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive Sport Line

^ no aFe catback?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #34
MB-SAB
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnekic View Post
^ no aFe catback?
No. I wanna keep exhaust sound as stock as possible.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 07:38 PM   #35
bnekic
First Lieutenant
Rep

Well down pipe is definitely not going to do that. You might as well get the cat-back since your doing all of this.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #36
MB-SAB
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnekic View Post
Well down pipe is definitely not going to do that. You might as well get the cat-back since your doing all of this.
You mean that installing downpipe will not keep engine sound stock (quiet)? Why?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 04:37 PM   #37
slmdgee
Usofstance
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328I 6SPD

I have a afe downpipe its a little bit louder, not noticeable. When you guy's get the full catback plus downpipe that's when things get better.

IG Stu_UnitedStatesOfStance
United States Of Stance
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 06:11 PM   #38
bnekic
First Lieutenant
Rep

Because it removes the cat and restrictive piping which then makes the car louder.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 10:05 PM   #39
MB-SAB
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnekic
Because it removes the cat and restrictive piping which then makes the car louder.
Sure, but it is just a bit louder (I've heard it before). Adding the whole cat-back would make it sound louder than I would like it.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 03:44 AM   #40
kenza750
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 525d E61

How about this tuning for the 320i (N20)? Possible? If yes, what figures is expected (bhp/tq)?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 08:45 AM   #41
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenza750 View Post
How about this tuning for the 320i (N20)? Possible? If yes, what figures is expected (bhp/tq)?
BMS has a 320 tune.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #42
gragi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDr F10 M Sport

Installed my scorcher about one week ago and I gotta say "I like it a LOT". That's exactly what I needed... Feels like driving my M3 now, "almost" ....
2011 535xDrive F10 AFE CATBACK, AFE SCORCHER, AFE Performance Air Filter, H&R, AR Down Pipe, ER Charge Pipe.
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2013, 06:19 PM   #43
Casualvic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive

I love my AFE!!!! way better than BMS stage 1!! although, I paid low price for schorcher, I think its worth the extra money if I had to buy it new.
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2013, 08:15 AM   #44
mocohead
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i 6MT & 12 128i Msport

I have had the chance to drive a friend's 328i with the afe scorcher for about a few weeks now. It is incredible! Great gains with very easy install. My buddy is a BMW CCA member, and afe gave a CCA discount. That brought the price within spitting distance of the BMS product. The Scorcher is a solid tune and well worth the money.
Appreciate 1