F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > F30 Projector Angel Eye Headlights!
ARMA SPEED

02-15-2017, 11:18 AM   #1057
rooeque
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i SULEV

Talking

What’s up guys I’ve been low-key stalking this thread for the past 2 months before finally deciding to jump on the bandwagon and get rid of those ugly halogens.

I've attached some pics and my setup is also listed below:

low beams

turn signals

fog lights

low beam led adapters

** note that you have to get the adapters with the big round openings(as linked above) if you want to use most LED H7 bulbs or else they won’t fit.

I also coded out the warm/cold checks + activated the `isLED` parameter for the front turn signals, low beam, high beam, and fog lights.

For some reason, my turn signals stay on while I’m driving, as indicated by the pics below. I’m wondering if I may have accidentally touched a setting since all the other pics don’t seem to have this “problem” but I think it gives a more unique look to the car .

** also note that in California, white turn signals for the front headlights are legal, and may/may not be in your state/country.

also my 2 cents regarding the installation:

- remove the mud flaps in front of the wheels before you start unscrewing the encased nut for the headlights. It gives you a lot more room and leverage.
- take it slow if it’s your first time (like me) doing anything to the car. I took one afternoon to just remove the bumper + flaps, another day to remove the old headlights and put the old ones one, and a third to put the flaps and bumper back and tighten all the bolts.

with all that being said, thanks to the previous modders that bit the bullet and tried these headlights out first and gave feedback so I can have a (relatively) smooth time installing mine
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
obert1781.00
scostu1619.50
GMV Auto158.00
rajan2925.00
thezarb14.00
      02-15-2017, 11:29 AM   #1058
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Looks great !
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 11:55 AM   #1059
RayonF30
Private
Rep
Drives: Black BMW F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperlink View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideInBimmer View Post
Hi I dont know anything about car lights. Which halogens do you recommend to get the LED/HID look? Any codes with the GP thunder 5800k on the high/lowbeam? One box of the GP thunder 5800k h7 comes with two bulbs for each the high and low beam, correct? I plan on also getting the GP thunder 7500k h8 for the fog lights. I dont want to upgrade to LED/HID and run the risk of getting error codes. Thanks
I bought the GP Thunder 5800k and put them in my Halogen housing for the low beams. They were too blue and it cheapened the overall look of the car. I took them off immediately. I'm using Silverstars now until I get a projector housing or retrofit OEM Xenons/LEDs. This is pretty much the last mod I plan on making to my car so I want to make sure I buy a product that will last for maybe 7 years.
The headlights from USR already have projector housing so you can just use HID's instead of the halogen bulbs in your low beams.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 11:58 AM   #1060
RayonF30
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideInBimmer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperlink View Post
I bought the GP Thunder 5800k and put them in my Halogen housing for the low beams. They were too blue and it cheapened the overall look of the car. I took them off immediately. I'm using Silverstars now until I get a projector housing or retrofit OEM Xenons/LEDs. This is pretty much the last mod I plan on making to my car so I want to make sure I buy a product that will last for maybe 7 years.
Is it difficult to switch out the high/low beam bulbs and turn signal bulbs once the headlights are installed? What about the fog light bulbs?
It is pretty simple to switch out the low beams, turn signals and the fog lights are the as OEM. Access from the pocket under your front wheel well.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 01:56 PM   #1061
rooeque
Registered
Rep

RayonF30 I got your PM but couldn't reply since your inbox was full.

No error codes or flickering so far after coding out the checks. Took the car for a ~20 minute drive last night after installation and didn't notice anything malfunctioning.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 01:58 PM   #1062
RayonF30
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooeque View Post
RayonF30 I got your PM but couldn't reply since your inbox was full.

No error codes or flickering so far after coding out the checks. Took the car for a ~20 minute drive last night after installation and didn't notice anything malfunctioning.
Okay sounds good. Seems like I have some cleaning up to do. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 03:11 PM   #1063
tuna369
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr adequate View Post
I've had these on for about a month and a half now, no problems at all so far. Really happy with the lights and the quality, I will be changing to an HID kit soon though since the light output while better than stock still leaves something to be desired. I would buy these again in a heartbeat if that helps. The angel eyes make me happy every time I see them.
Thank you dr adequate,

Just got shipment confirmation message

Debating whether to install it on my own or take it to a shop. Any advice would be great
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 09:46 PM   #1064
dr adequate
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna369 View Post
Quote:
I've had these on for about a month and a half now, no problems at all so far. Really happy with the lights and the quality, I will be changing to an HID kit soon though since the light output while better than stock still leaves something to be desired. I would buy these again in a heartbeat if that helps. The angel eyes make me happy every time I see them.
Thank you dr adequate,

Just got shipment confirmation message

Debating whether to install it on my own or take it to a shop. Any advice would be great
As for install, if you have any mechanical ability you will have no problem doing this yourself. It's a bunch of screws and some time and effort along with a bit of patience.
Tips for install.
-remove bumper as much as possible with all underbody and wheel well plastic pieces. Taking out the inner fender liners made the job much easier, if you want to remove the wheels it might make it a little easier, but it really is not necessary. I made a makeshift lift by placing about 4-5 inches of 1x8 pieces of wood that I made into a ramp to raise the car, and then turning the wheels to access the different screws in the wheel wells was pretty easy since the wood pieces spun on each other.
-if you're planning to add HID kit I would do it pre install and make sure to tighten all bulb access points on the back of the lights. (Multiple issues with condensation, I personally have not had this problem).
-I have pdc, fog lamps, and headlight washers, so the PDC and fog lamps disconnect is easy, just a plug, but the headlight fluid washer line was more challenging. It runs from the engine compartment to the bumper by the passenger headlight. Someone else said they disconnected it and had a big mess of washer fluid all over, so I just left it attached and spun the bumper out of the way and supported the bumper with boxes. It does make the passenger light a little more difficult, but I did it second after seeing how the drivers side was done.
-Page 44 of this thread has some pictures of the encased nut that causes so much trouble. I posted it on 12/30/16 and would quote it but the pics don't attach on with the text, but it makes the encased nuts much easier to take off if you take a look at it. I think MONSTAR used the same method I did and it made the second side much faster.
-The last bit of advice is to make sure to align the lights and the beam pattern prior to reinstalling the bumper. I had to take the bumper off again to adjust the drivers side light with the encased nut because even with the Allen wrench adjusters the light was way too low. You can adjust the way the light sits on the frame with the encased nut to raise or lower the beam, and then make the final adjustments with the Allen wrench.

Hope this helps, you're going to love the lights. Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.
Appreciate 1
thezarb14.00
      02-15-2017, 10:00 PM   #1065
GMV Auto
Banned
Rep
Drives: G80 CompXdrive

Quote:
What’s up guys I’ve been low-key stalking this thread for the past 2 months before finally deciding to jump on the bandwagon and get rid of those ugly halogens.

I've attached some pics and my setup is also listed below:

low beams

turn signals

fog lights

low beam led adapters

** note that you have to get the adapters with the big round openings(as linked above) if you want to use most LED H7 bulbs or else they won’t fit.

I also coded out the warm/cold checks + activated the `isLED` parameter for the front turn signals, low beam, high beam, and fog lights.

For some reason, my turn signals stay on while I’m driving, as indicated by the pics below. I’m wondering if I may have accidentally touched a setting since all the other pics don’t seem to have this “problem” but I think it gives a more unique look to the car .

** also note that in California, white turn signals for the front headlights are legal, and may/may not be in your state/country.

- remove the mud flaps in front of the wheels before you start unscrewing the encased nut for the headlights. It gives you a lot more room and leverage.
- take it slow if it’s your first time (like me) doing anything to the car. I took one afternoon to just remove the bumper + flaps, another day to remove the old headlights and put the old ones one, and a third to put the flaps and bumper back and tighten all the bolts.

with all that being said, thanks to the previous modders that bit the bullet and tried these headlights out first and gave feedback so I can have a (relatively) smooth time installing mine
looks good! can't wait to order mine.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 08:02 AM   #1066
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Quote:

Good write up.

Did you make any modifications to the dust/weather caps?
As the fans on the back of the led low beam bulbs looks BIG!
      02-16-2017, 12:18 PM   #1067
rooeque
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scostu View Post
Good write up.

Did you make any modifications to the dust/weather caps?
As the fans on the back of the led low beam bulbs looks BIG!
No modifications needed. At least the fans on the bulbs I linked fit inside the housing.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 01:13 PM   #1068
77cubes
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Few month update...

I'm still loving these lights and very happy I bought them. I was looking at an older picture with the halogens still on and cringed.

Still a lot I want to do on the car but I'm glad I did the lights first. Thanks again to all the posters on this, especially elusive for getting it started (hope USR is giving you some kickback, lol).

I have not had any issues since my first few I posted a while ago (starting on page 40 I think). Issues being the condensation which went away and the driver turn bulb going out. I think the condensation was the crazy weather here and the housings just getting settled. The turn signal housing prongs needed the contact points extended out with a screw driver (easy).

I am still using the bulbs they came with and have little issue with them. I will upgrade them this spring but not a big issue for me right now as I was just looking to improve the DRLs.
Appreciate 2
thezarb14.00
elusive190.00
      02-17-2017, 11:16 AM   #1069
Jonpost
Rep
Drives: 2013 328XI

How do you disconnect the headlight washer hose?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 12:06 PM   #1070
77cubes
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonpost View Post
See Pictures... I detached the gray piece and taped it up with duct tape, wrapping the tape around the gray end then stuck the other end of the tape strip inside the engine bay as to not get duct tape residue on the paint.

Note it will leak all over when you pull the hose out out if the hose it dangling. Having a helping hand to take either the bumper or the hose from you will help.

As I was alone, I grabbed the bumper and let the hose fall, set the bumper down, then taped the hose up. Not really that bad as my garage already was wet from melted snow, but it was more shocking as it was pouring out lol. Plugging it back in leaked more. No worries as it wasn't really that much and fluid is cheap.

*Edit: pictures not uploading, I'll try again soon...
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 12:10 PM   #1071
77cubes
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77cubes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonpost View Post
See Pictures... I detached the gray piece and taped it up with duct tape, wrapping the tape around the gray end then stuck the other end of the tape strip inside the engine bay as to not get duct tape residue on the paint.

Note it will leak all over when you pull the hose out out if the hose it dangling. Having a helping hand to take either the bumper or the hose from you will help.

As I was alone, I grabbed the bumper and let the hose fall, set the bumper down, then taped the hose up. Not really that bad as my garage already was wet from melted snow, but it was more shocking as it was pouring out lol. Plugging it back in leaked more. No worries as it wasn't really that much and fluid is cheap.

*Edit: pictures not uploading, I'll try again soon...
Gray plug. Just wiggle it out.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 12:13 PM   #1072
77cubes
Enlisted Member
Rep

Taped up. Duct tape it to itself around the gray piece side as the wetness won't stick.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 02:49 PM   #1073
tuna369
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i

Quote:
As for install, if you have any mechanical ability you will have no problem doing this yourself. It's a bunch of screws and some time and effort along with a bit of patience.
Tips for install.
-remove bumper as much as possible with all underbody and wheel well plastic pieces. Taking out the inner fender liners made the job much easier, if you want to remove the wheels it might make it a little easier, but it really is not necessary. I made a makeshift lift by placing about 4-5 inches of 1x8 pieces of wood that I made into a ramp to raise the car, and then turning the wheels to access the different screws in the wheel wells was pretty easy since the wood pieces spun on each other.
-if you're planning to add HID kit I would do it pre install and make sure to tighten all bulb access points on the back of the lights. (Multiple issues with condensation, I personally have not had this problem).
-I have pdc, fog lamps, and headlight washers, so the PDC and fog lamps disconnect is easy, just a plug, but the headlight fluid washer line was more challenging. It runs from the engine compartment to the bumper by the passenger headlight. Someone else said they disconnected it and had a big mess of washer fluid all over, so I just left it attached and spun the bumper out of the way and supported the bumper with boxes. It does make the passenger light a little more difficult, but I did it second after seeing how the drivers side was done.
-Page 44 of this thread has some pictures of the encased nut that causes so much trouble. I posted it on 12/30/16 and would quote it but the pics don't attach on with the text, but it makes the encased nuts much easier to take off if you take a look at it. I think MONSTAR used the same method I did and it made the second side much faster.
-The last bit of advice is to make sure to align the lights and the beam pattern prior to reinstalling the bumper. I had to take the bumper off again to adjust the drivers side light with the encased nut because even with the Allen wrench adjusters the light was way too low. You can adjust the way the light sits on the frame with the encased nut to raise or lower the beam, and then make the final adjustments with the Allen wrench.

Hope this helps, you're going to love the lights. Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.
While waiting for mine to get delivered, I'm still trying to figure few things out regarding installation.

I'm not understanding the headlight aligning part. After you remove the headlights and put new ones in, if you are planning to just stick with the halogens that these depo lights come with, do you still have to align it? What would cause them to not align? sry i have no mechanical background..

also is the plug to headlights and foglight relatively easy to identify? From the video that USR uploaded it seemed like just one plug with no complication.. just wanted to make sure.

Thanks for your advice on that nut encased bolt holding the headlight will definately be helpful when i install mine.
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2017, 04:43 PM   #1074
UKF30
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 LCI Black Saphire

Got mine fitted few weeks back but didn't get round to upload pics here.

Headlights are from here, fully plug and play without any erros

http://eurowagens.com/bmw/3-series/f30-12/

i am running 35w 5000k HIDs in main beam.

very happy with the headlights and these totally transform look of the car
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
scostu1619.50
BrennanF301467.00
rajan2925.00
      02-17-2017, 08:12 PM   #1075
XKxRome0ox
e90noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

Quote:
low beam led adapters

is this also true for xenon kit + these headlights?

i'm still sitting on my USR headlights
just ordered a 5500K xenon kit

would like to see more photos of how people attached the ballasts if you added an aftermarket HID kit

Production date - 2008-04-22
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 08:27 PM   #1076
BrennanF30
BMWLad
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 320D M Sport

Garage List
BMW F30 M Sport  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKF30 View Post
Got mine fitted few weeks back but didn't get round to upload pics here.

Headlights are from here, fully plug and play without any erros

http://eurowagens.com/bmw/3-series/f30-12/

i am running 35w 5000k HIDs in main beam.

very happy with the headlights and these totally transform look of the car
maité cén prátaí atá in úsáid agat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6times7 View Post
I don't know - BrennanF30 is Irish isn't he? I reckon he's got some super hi def, Ultra HD4K F30 photo taking potato
Appreciate 1
UKF302522.50
      02-18-2017, 07:14 AM   #1077
Jonpost
Rep
Drives: 2013 328XI

Thank you 77Cubes, I thought I had to find something to push in the blue tabs after raising the black plastic spring retainer. Gray plug. Just wiggle it out. I'll give it a try today
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 02:09 PM   #1078
rooeque
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
is this also true for xenon kit + these headlights?

i'm still sitting on my USR headlights
just ordered a 5500K xenon kit

would like to see more photos of how people attached the ballasts if you added an aftermarket HID kit
I don't have any experience with HIDs so I unfortunately can't answer this one. There's definitely space to the side of the fender where you can drill in the ballasts though. You definitely would need to drill a hole in the rubber cover + add some weather sealant for the cables to go through for the HIDs though.
Appreciate 0