F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Faulty Control Arm and Bearing / Computer Recall
proTUNING Freaks

12-16-2012, 12:54 AM   #1
Sharkinthewater
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i M Sport

Garage List
Faulty Control Arm and Bearing / Computer Recall

I've had my car for a month, and was just coming up on 1000 miles and have noticed that my car has been veering a bit to the right even on very flat surfaces. I rightly suspected some type of alignment issue. I took my car into the dealership and got a one two punch. First I was told that there is a recall on the 2013 bmw 328i having to do with a computer update and I couldn't leave with the car. I told them about the alignment issue, and heard back the next day (when I was expecting to get my car back) that there is a major camber problem with the car and the control arm and "bearing" (ball joint?) is going to have to be shipped from Germany. Now I'm without my car for at least 7 to 10 business days.

The guy in front of me at the service center had a new 328i and had completely worn through the inside of his front tires.

Has anyone else had problems with the alignment leading to a control arm and bearing replacement? Also somewhat curious about just what is getting fixed with the computer - the dealer says they just have an error code and cant say what was wrong.

Last edited by Sharkinthewater; 12-17-2012 at 06:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
scott@bmwhn
Major
Rep
Drives: Msport X3

curious about the control arm/bearing

The programming is probably to fix a automatic wiper glitch, it's the only one i've heard of thus far.

Hopefully the parts will make it in sooner than later

Previous: 20' X3 M40i, 19' 740i Msport, 17' 430i GC, 15' Msport X3 28i, 15' Sportline X1 28i, 13' Msport 328i, 09' Msport 335i, 07' Msport 335i
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
AZ330FZL
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkinthewater View Post
I've had my car for a month, and was just coming up on 1000 miles and have noticed that my car has been veering a bit to the right even on very flat surfaces. I rightly suspected some type of alignment issue. I took my car into the dealership and got a one two punch. First I was told that there is a recall on the 2013 bmw 328i having to do with a computer update and I couldn't leave with the car. I told them about the alignment issue, and heard back the next day (when I was expecting to get my car back) that there is a major camber problem with the car and the control arm and "bearing" (ball joint?) is going to have to be shipped from Germany. Now I'm without my car for at least 7 to 10 business days.

The guy in front of me at the service center had a new 328i and had completely worn through the inside of his front tires.

Has anyone else had problems with the alignment leading to a control arm and bearing replacement? Also somewhat curious about just what is getting fixed with the computer - the dealer says they just have an error code and cant say what was wrong.
I have had an issue with my car pulling to the right, I took it to the dealer with a laundry list of other things. Went out on a "test drive" with a technician and he didn't notice it at all, according to him. He asked me if it was my first BMW and I told him it was, he then continued to tell me that BMW will conform to all road conditions and react to them, including pulling to one side if the road is slanted that way. So in short he told me I was F-ing crazy to my face and I didn't know what a true drivers car should do. Well I'm not crazy and this isn't my first car and every road in Phoenix doesn't slant to the right. It never, and I mean NEVER pulls to the left no matter what road I'm on or lane I'm in. So I am now curious about this ball joint issue as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 10:21 PM   #4
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ330FZL View Post
I have had an issue with my car pulling to the right, I took it to the dealer with a laundry list of other things. Went out on a "test drive" with a technician and he didn't notice it at all, according to him. He asked me if it was my first BMW and I told him it was, he then continued to tell me that BMW will conform to all road conditions and react to them, including pulling to one side if the road is slanted that way. So in short he told me I was F-ing crazy to my face and I didn't know what a true drivers car should do. Well I'm not crazy and this isn't my first car and every road in Phoenix doesn't slant to the right. It never, and I mean NEVER pulls to the left no matter what road I'm on or lane I'm in. So I am now curious about this ball joint issue as well.
Pulling to the side of the road that it's slanted towards is not just a BMW 'conforming to all road conditions', as if that's a positive.
This happens in all cars simply because the road is slanted and that pulls the vehicle in that direction, DUH.
The problem is, is the amount of countering steering needed to correct for it too excessive?
Does BMW have a chart to show the degree of steering wheel deflection/counter steering that is normal/acceptable vs when it's out of range, for a given slant angle of a road? If there is I'd like to see it, and then I'd like to see how a tech measures it on any given road.

My 335i pulls excessively to the left when the road is slanted to the left, most noticeable on highways with multiple lanes.
It's much less dramatic on the right lanes on the highway that are slanted to the right.

Yes, I understand that if the road is slanted to the left or right the car will tend to want to go that direction and thus we need to add counter steering to stay straight. The problem is that it needs too much counter steering, in my case to the left on left slanted roads.
In this situation I have to turn my wheel to the right so much that the center vertical arm is very noticeably to the left, as I'm turning the wheel to the right. The amount of correction needed seems to be way too much and I'm expecting and worried that the tires will wear quicker on that edge.

This issue seemed even worse with the new Bridgestone RE970 AS tires I had installed a month ago. I've since swapped them for a new set of
Conti DWS, for different reasons, and the amount of counter steering needed to stay straight has lessened a bit, but it's still too much imo.

I'm taking my car in tomorrow for them to look at my steering clunk, and a possible auto trans issue. I think I'll add this to the list.
And I am expecting the "no problem found" default answer, with the explanation you got, as if we didn't already know that.
Appreciate 0