F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > White Instrument Panel Lighting During the Day
Studio RSR

01-06-2014, 09:53 AM   #1
Gitte
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i M Sport

White Instrument Panel Lighting During the Day

Hey guys,

So, can someone with a 4-series with HUD tell me if the instrument cluster (speed and revs) are supposed to be lit white during the day.

I could have sworn mine were, but now I am second guessing myself. Also, recently had a 2014 3 series loaner with no HUD and could have sworn again they were lit! I may be seeing things...

I have been following the controversy on the X5 forum but figured I pose the questions directly to you guys since you can give me the most direct answer.

435xi in Canada with HUD.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 10:37 AM   #2
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

as far as i know, they arent lit in white. they arent lit at all.....its just white font...at night the orange light turns on and they're lit orange
      01-06-2014, 12:26 PM   #3
Gitte
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

hmm, thanks. i am second guessing myself. went to the dealer and the 2014 3 series loaner i had used wasn't in (which i thought had it too). no one was sure but they said the 5 and 7 series instruments have it.

can anyone else confirm on their 4 series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzaddict View Post
as far as i know, they arent lit in white. they arent lit at all.....its just white font...at night the orange light turns on and they're lit orange
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 12:46 PM   #4
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitte View Post
Hey guys,

So, can someone with a 4-series with HUD tell me if the instrument cluster (speed and revs) are supposed to be lit white during the day.

I could have sworn mine were, but now I am second guessing myself. Also, recently had a 2014 3 series loaner with no HUD and could have sworn again they were lit! I may be seeing things...

I have been following the controversy on the X5 forum but figured I pose the questions directly to you guys since you can give me the most direct answer.

435xi in Canada with HUD.

Thanks!

Revs are not displayed in the HUD on the F30/32; speed is. They are illuminated in white during the day, red during the night (..unless turned off completely). The instrument cluster itself is a dimly lit red during the day; much brighter red at night.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 01:19 PM   #5
Gitte
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Revs are not displayed in the HUD on the F30/32; speed is. They are illuminated in white during the day, red during the night (..unless turned off completely). The instrument cluster itself is a dimly lit red during the day; much brighter red at night.
Yes, I didn't mean the HUD displayed revs. I heard that the instrument cluster can be different between HUD and non-HUD units which I why I mentioned it.

You are right however, the cluster glows dim red/orange during the day and the classic orange at night. Still don't know why I thought it was supposed to glow white during the day. Dealership said 5s and 7s do. No one knew about the 4s which I was I came to everyone here!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 04:26 PM   #6
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitte View Post
Yes, I didn't mean the HUD displayed revs. I heard that the instrument cluster can be different between HUD and non-HUD units which I why I mentioned it.

You are right however, the cluster glows dim red/orange during the day and the classic orange at night. Still don't know why I thought it was supposed to glow white during the day. Dealership said 5s and 7s do. No one knew about the 4s which I was I came to everyone here!
The 5s and 7s have the full black panel instrument clusters, which indeed are white backlit dials during the day and red at night. Unfortunately, the F30/31/32 does not have the full black panel display. As a result, only the LCD part of the cluster (not the speedo and tach dials themselves) change color based on ambient lighting conditions.

During the day, the LCD display output will be white, at night, this will turn red. Whats interesting is that the cluster color change is independent of whether your headlamps are turned on or not i.e. it has its own light sensor.

This also applies to the HUD color, which itself varies between orange and white depending on the feedback from the ambient light sensor within the instrument panel.
Appreciate 0