F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > extended display contrast adjustment?
GetBMWParts

05-22-2014, 03:09 PM   #1
scramblur
Techy
Rep
Drives: 2014 335xi

extended display contrast adjustment?

Hi Folks,

Just took delivery of a new f30 with the extended contents. The area that displays fuel consumption and efficient dynamics... at night, the black background of the display becomes very obvious and no longer blends well into the instrument cluster.

It looks as though the contrast needs to be adjusted.

Anyway to adjust this? Make it appear less obvious at night?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 04:01 AM   #2
OliOC
Rep
Drives: 2014 320D M Sport +

I take it you mean you can see the LCD screen behind the black panel display at night?

There's no way to control contrast (this wouldn't help anyway), but you can control the brightness of it using the control wheel next to your lighting controls. I've turned mine down quite low for this exact reason!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 07:14 AM   #3
scramblur
Techy
Rep
Drives: 2014 335xi

Yes, exactly. Though I don't see why contrast wouldn't help if not fix the situation. I can't see why they couldn't design this to mesh better. I feel as though it can be easily adjusted.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 01:55 PM   #4
OliOC
Rep
Drives: 2014 320D M Sport +

Contrast wouldn't help as the whole area would be set to be as dark as possible, it's the backlight in the LCD that causes the visible rectangle in dark light. If you turned your mobile phones brightness down as much as possible and viewed an all black image, you would still see the backlight through it.

The only solution would be for BMW to use an OLED display, but I can see this happening any time soon.

So for now the only solution (to help minimise it) is to turn the brightness right down...
Appreciate 0