F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Setting wiper intermittent interval yourself, possible?
ARMA SPEED

01-28-2015, 09:27 PM   #23
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

Hmm...I didn't think so, but damn, you're right.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 03:31 AM   #24
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Driver View Post
Also, I think, if you push down and hold it, it will wipe for as long as you hold it down.
Yes it does, the whole system is much more logical and user friendly than we may first think.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 08:46 AM   #25
retiredmarine
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i msport

At night the automatic function really lacks. I think it's because it uses a camera and at night it isn't as efficient.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 09:38 AM   #26
ft1330
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
That is not correct, pull to clean the screen and you get about four passes of the wipers.

If you just pull for a quick squirt you may not get any wiper action, I like that when needed, but a longer pull will definitely clean the screen, auto sensing on or not. Then return to auto if switched on.

I'm in the Highlands of Scotland, Lochaber region, so get high rainfall of all kinds, more than most will ever get. I know the wiper system pretty well, as you can imagine.

HighlandPete
I don't think you get as much rain as we do here in the Philadelphia area. In fact, we get more rain than probably the amazon rain forest
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 10:28 AM   #27
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1330 View Post
I don't think you get as much rain as we do here in the Philadelphia area. In fact, we get more rain than probably the amazon rain forest
I read that "Philadelphia has had an average rainfall of 41.53 inches over the last 30 years".

My local MET Office weather station (6 miles from home) has recorded an annual average rainfall of over 71" for the past 30 years. Last year was over 82" of rain.

Guess that means my wipers get a decent work out.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 08:39 AM   #28
ft1330
Major
Rep

Quote:
I read that "Philadelphia has had an average rainfall of 41.53 inches over the last 30 years".

My local MET Office weather station (6 miles from home) has recorded an annual average rainfall of over 71" for the past 30 years. Last year was over 82" of rain.

Guess that means my wipers get a decent work out.

HighlandPete
I was kidding of course. But Philadelphia gets a lot of rain for sure. But let me ask you, how do you get 71'' over the past 30 years when last year you had 82''?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 08:58 AM   #29
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1330 View Post
I was kidding of course. But Philadelphia gets a lot of rain for sure. But let me ask you, how do you get 71'' over the past 30 years when last year you had 82''?
71" is the average annual rainfall, we do exceed the 82" some years.

Quote:
HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 09:09 AM   #30
ft1330
Major
Rep

Quote:
71" is the average annual rainfall, we do exceed the 82" some years.

HighlandPete
Yeah yeah I know my cognitive functions are impaired this morning
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 09:59 AM   #31
maverick83
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i

Tend to agree that at night they don't wipe as often, however at night with little or no street lights, you can get away with less wipes I guess.

I would like for auto to always be auto, eg if auto is selected it should stay on Even with ignition on off.

I had a Jetta 5, that would stay on, and also liked the wipe action better in the Jetta. It was more "graceful" in slow operation, and would have a pause of approx 10 seconds after you washed the windscreen and give a single wipe just to make sure all the wash fluid is gone. Pretty cool.

Also if you look at other German brands they tend to do the same as the VW.

My preffered setting is auto and sensitivity one up, just one higher than lowest. This works a charm for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 01:17 PM   #32
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Some of you on here act like it is uncool if you have your wipers going. Who cares? Use them so you can see. I'm not looking at other drivers to see how fast their wipers are going..

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 08:42 PM   #33
Sladester100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d & G29 M40i First Edtn

Garage List
Kudos blubaron. I was thinking similar when I replied earlier in the thread. If it's raining. I use wipers lol
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 11:25 PM   #34
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sladester100
Kudos blubaron. I was thinking similar when I replied earlier in the thread. If it's raining. I use wipers lol

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 12:43 AM   #35
aksi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post
Some of you on here act like it is uncool if you have your wipers going. Who cares? Use them so you can see. I'm not looking at other drivers to see how fast their wipers are going..
It's not uncool. It is just each person's preference.
For me, I see no problem most of the time with intermittent (faster or slower) and constant wiper motion is actually more distracting for me unless it is needed (yes of course I use that function when I need it).
Whatever works for ya, works for ya, you know?
I haven't been on this forum for awhile and what happened here lol
I was just making example out of other people around me to say I do use less wipers and I was trying to see if there was a way to have intermittent feature on our cars.
You got my intention totally wrong there buddy. I am not a 10 year old.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 02:55 AM   #36
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
The 3-Series intermittent wipers are, frankly, not fit for purpose. In fact, they're plain dangerous. My Audi's adaptive wipers worked 99% of the time and my little Peugeot's fixed-interval wipers work fine for probably 90% of the time. The F31's wipers are the most disappointing feature of the car: they are right barely 10% of the time, whatever the setting. I'd happily settle for them being fixed interval, which would be an improvement.

This is odd, as some other features, like adaptive headlights, are very impressive and use some really complex technology that works really well.

I contacted the dealer and it was obvious that queries about the F3x intermittent wipe are common and they immediately said the sensitivity couldn't be adjusted, or set to a fixed interval - without me asking.

I think that BMW simply got this wrong and are afraid to admit it's an issue and make a general recall.

I've just completed an 800-mile drive over two days from the Swiss Alps back to the UK, in snow, sleet and rain and this problem with the wipers is going to be enough for me to swap to another brand next time. Overtaking huge trucks on the Autoroute in France the screen pretty much had to be down at zero visibilty before the wipers engaged. It not a trivial issue for ma and as I said, I think it's a shame, given how great most of the other BMW capabilities and technologies are. The xDrive worked brialliantly in the mountain snow, and the adaptive headlights worked great on our cross-country drive in the dark etc.

I would have thought hat there's enough firmware control in the wiper system for BMW to issue new software to solve this problem.

Last edited by msej449; 02-03-2015 at 03:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 03:39 AM   #37
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msej449 View Post
The 3-Series intermittent wipers are, frankly, not fit for purpose. In fact, they're plain dangerous. My Audi's adaptive wipers worked 99% of the time and my little Peugeot's fixed-interval wipers work fine for probably 90% of the time. The F31's wipers are the most disappointing feature of the car: they are right barely 10% of the time, whatever the setting. I'd happily settle for them being fixed interval, which would be an improvement.

....I think that BMW simply got this wrong and are afraid to admit it's an issue and make a general recall.

....I would have thought hat there's enough firmware control in the wiper system for BMW to issue new software to solve this problem.
Are you sure your wipers are working correctly, (sensor is functioning correctly)? Talk of "fit for purpose", "plain dangerous", "general recall", "new software", I sense a total frustration.

It is not as if BMW are new in this auto-sensing wiper game. I've been driving BMWs with them since 2002 and no issues whatsoever, except greasy screens, which we control with cleaning. Just ensure you don't have some sort of coating/grease on the screen which may be the issue.

I could repeat your frustration with a VW Passat, awful function, I too was asking if they could be turned into a manual function. Dealer couldn't fault their function when tested to VW procedure. I tried another Passat, nothing like mine at all. The VW dealer fitted a new sensor and absolutely brilliant after that. From negative frustration, turned to one of the best features on the Passat.

I'd suggest you get into another example on a wet day, see if it is simply a sensor issue.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 06:47 AM   #38
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

I must admit that the wipers aren't that great. The sensor seems to fight with the rest of the system. It almost always goes from intermittent to fast in even the lightest rain. I find myself having to manually set it to slow.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 08:43 AM   #39
tboooe
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F36 428i GC, E36 M3 - gone :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksi View Post
For me, I see no problem most of the time with intermittent (faster or slower) and constant wiper motion is actually more distracting for me unless it is needed (yes of course I use that function when I need it).
I actually agree with @aksi. I tend to prefer a slower wiper interval. Living in Socal it doesnt rain a lot so I always turn down intermittent interval on all my cars. I find that even at the slowest settings on all my cars, the wipers are too frequent which I find distracting. Not sure why such as basic feature was not included. I guess its like the temp sync "feature" that BMW didnt give us either.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 09:41 AM   #40
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksi
Quote:
Whatever works for ya, works for ya, you know?
I haven't been on this forum for awhile and what happened here lol
I was just making example out of other people around me to say I do use less wipers and I was trying to see if there was a way to have intermittent feature on our cars.
You got my intention totally wrong there buddy. I am not a 10 year old.

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 01:54 PM   #41
Thumper333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i X-Drive

Quote:

Right?

I only notice other drivers when literally it's a light drizzle, and some soccer mom in a Yukon has her wipers set to the "plaid" speed setting and I think they may actually fly off the car. LOL Then I notice and chuckle.

The AUTO works just fine for me, and if I have to do a manual wipe every now and again.....it's not the end of the world.
2015 Audi S3 Misano Red | 19" Sport pack w/Mag Ride | B&O
1983 Porsche 944 All stock
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 06:16 PM   #42
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

There's nothing uncool about using the wipers. But there are legitimate times when using the normal speed/continuous wipe setting is too much - when the roads are wet and there is spray, light mist etc. If you put the wipers on continuous, the frequency is too fast and you get the wipers groaning across a dry windshield. This is the reason intermittent and/or Auto was created in the first place. So your only option is to switch to Auto. But the sensitivity isn't high enough to pick up that spray or mist, so you need to intervene and force a manual wipe every once in a while. Not the end of the world, but that's a pain. It takes getting used to if you've come from a car with more sensitive Auto or with an intermittent timed mode.

The best solution would be if they had intermittent AND Auto. My Land Rover has that and it works very well for ALL situations.

Other than the Auto sensitivity, I can't say I have any other complaints. I've learned a couple things from this thread already, lol. Can't believe I was never pulling long enough for a spray AND wipe.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 09:08 PM   #43
aksi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Alright. I see how you are.
Wasted my time writing.

Last edited by aksi; 02-04-2015 at 09:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 09:10 PM   #44
aksi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzdan View Post
There's nothing uncool about using the wipers. But there are legitimate times when using the normal speed/continuous wipe setting is too much - when the roads are wet and there is spray, light mist etc. If you put the wipers on continuous, the frequency is too fast and you get the wipers groaning across a dry windshield. This is the reason intermittent and/or Auto was created in the first place. So your only option is to switch to Auto. But the sensitivity isn't high enough to pick up that spray or mist, so you need to intervene and force a manual wipe every once in a while. Not the end of the world, but that's a pain. It takes getting used to if you've come from a car with more sensitive Auto or with an intermittent timed mode.

The best solution would be if they had intermittent AND Auto. My Land Rover has that and it works very well for ALL situations.

Other than the Auto sensitivity, I can't say I have any other complaints. I've learned a couple things from this thread already, lol. Can't believe I was never pulling long enough for a spray AND wipe.
Thank u. Yeah, next time I will try auto and see how that goes.
Appreciate 0