F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > Following the 'Turtles' (Tortugas)
GetBMWParts

03-04-2012, 01:50 AM   #45
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAttackBMW View Post
Let's be honest though, when the next ice age comes - you're gonna be happy you have warm seats and your steering wheel will be warm
Hell yeah I would be, especially since no house in Hawaii has a heater (and if I look at last night, I was sooo darn cold lol, wearing a sweater and everything wasn't even helping (it was somewhere around 65-68 degrees lol)).

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 05:45 PM   #46
bl@ster
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Svachey, I'm salivating for an update. If only we weren't out of range! How long til we hit the Caribbean?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #47
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bl@ster View Post
Svachey, I'm salivating for an update. If only we weren't out of range! How long til we hit the Caribbean?
We should arrive in Panama on the 12th but I expect to get visibility back a few days before that

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 02:19 AM   #48
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Someone really did something to the tracking when we were in Southampton, it just had to be... still no sign of the Tortugas...

Oh well, here's another 'tortuga' to get you going (or 'to go away' )..

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 01:25 AM   #49
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I was at my dealer today, only went to pick up my X5 from service but ended up talking to my CA for an hour or so. Anyways, somehow it talk came to tracking the vessels and the Atlantic. He told me that the vessels usually don't transmit GPS signals (publicly at least) on international waters, especially not on those as big as the Atlantic. They probably don't do this because of pirates, and given the events about a year ago with our beloved ship being a target for pirates, I can imagine they don't give us the GPS signals. So, our ship didn't sink, it's undercover for now

Btw, here's some footage from the Green Bay on the North Atlantic (it doesn't state as much but since the deck seems to be blue/white, it just gotta be ).

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #50
MacAttackBMW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 Sport Line - Alpine

Yikes - hope the old Green Bay plays it safe!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 03:28 PM   #51
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAttackBMW View Post
Yikes - hope the old Green Bay plays it safe!
Better hope your car is all tied up...

Actually, this is just too scary...

Btw, kinda looks like the green bay the next one lol (at 1:27 min)

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #52
bl@ster
First Lieutenant
Rep

So Svachey... you're supposed to be making us feel better about how our cars are faring in the Atlantic...
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 04:47 PM   #53
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So Svachey... you're supposed to be making us feel better about how our cars are faring in the Atlantic...
Errr... you're right dangit.. I'm posting all this in the wrong topic, it should end up in the Green Bay and the Asian King threads instead lol

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 04:54 PM   #54
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Ok, here a better video, this one is really awesome.. I guess if our ships go under, we can try something like this:

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 03:11 AM   #55
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Seems we're having a day delay :/

This way it's going to be hard to get my car on the 24th departure towards Hawaii, I guess it'll be the 28th or even the one after that (hope not).

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 04:52 AM   #56
bl@ster
First Lieutenant
Rep

It could be due to evasive maneuvers on account of Somali pirates...

Regardless, they need to shovel more coal into the engines.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #57
bl@ster
First Lieutenant
Rep

Question for Svachey: Why does the Captain of the mighty Tortugas hate us and why won't he turn on his blasted transponder?!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 09:39 PM   #58
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Question for Svachey: Why does the Captain of the mighty Tortugas hate us and why won't he turn on his blasted transponder?!
I think those pirates did it in Southampton, for some reason, in only a short time, we arrived, departed arrived and departed again... idk what happened there but as long as I don't hear anything on the news, I'm sure we're safe

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 06:49 AM   #59
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Our little turtle has finally popped up again after a long period of his submerged transatlantic crossing...

Quote:
ARRIVAL of ship: TORTUGAS
Port: PANAMA ANCH ATLANTIC
Time: Mar 13 2012 11:29AM (UTC)

The weather in Manzanillo is nice, it is partly sunny and 22C/71.5F right now (6.45 AM local time), it will climb up to 35C/95F later today and it will be sunny for the rest of the day. After our short stop here in Manzanillo, we will continue our trip to California through the Panama Canal.

edit: sure enough, just as I finish this post I received another email, stating the following:
Quote:
DEPARTURE of ship: TORTUGAS
Time: Mar 13 2012 11:40AM (UTC)
Make up your minds dangit!

I guess we still have a few pirate stowaways who mess with out tracking system.. oh well, I'm sure it will soon enough say we're in Manzanillo...again.... lol

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 07:18 AM   #60
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
And once more...

Quote:
Time: Mar 13 2012 12:12PM (UTC)
Funny thing is, we never arrived back at port, something must be up. In the meantime, it seems as if our turtle is doing some (failed) figure 8's in the water...

Makes me wonder if the crew partied too hard last night

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 08:09 AM   #61
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 CP (sold)

LOL. Looks like someone fed the transponder (or the pirate holding it) to a passing shark.

My father is a retired merchant navy skipper. I'm seeing him Friday so if your ship is still doing circles I'll ask him for an explanation. Better than that, maybe he could get on the sat-phone and talk them through the required manoeuvres!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 03:45 PM   #62
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Haha yeah that could be an idea

I saw a similar behavior when they were waiting to go in port in Zeebrugge but that was when they were actually anchored, that was not the case now lol

Maybe they came in so fast, they had to reduce speed It seems they actually docked shortly after..

And here another picture that kind of proves my thought they came in pretty hot... the whole deck seems to have been stripped of the paint due to the friction that the speed caused (either that, or it is a historical picture of the Asian King, which is also possible of course).

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 05:01 PM   #63
Weaselboy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post
...(either that, or it is a historical picture of the Asian King, which is also possible of course).
The Asian King has "character."
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 07:35 PM   #64
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
The Asian King has "character."
lol it surely has something but I'm undecided whether or not you can call it character

-----

In other news, our ship has left the port in Manzanillo but seems to be undecided what to do next. My suggestion would be to enter the Panama Canal, head for the Pacific and then towards California as he has to arrive there in only just 9 days from now (and then still it will take a lot more for me.. ). Maybe they forgot a car and somewhere along the way? Or are they going for some sightseeing in the Caribbean? Or perhaps the pirates have finally taken over? Who knows...

Quote:
Port: MANZANILLO
Time: Mar 13 2012 11:26PM (UTC)

ARRIVAL of ship: TORTUGAS
Time: Mar 13 2012 11:35PM (UTC)

Time: Mar 14 2012 12:13AM (UTC)

edit: Oh, maybe we spoke to soon..I just noticed it is taking a hard left at the last known position so it could be that it needs some space in order to gain it's remarkable speed again so it can simply blast through the canal.... Either that or they're continuing last night's party....

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #65
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
For others with no life, here are some Panama Canal webcams you can watch when the Tortugas enters the canal (it seems to be dark now so more luck in the morning): http://www.pancanal.com/eng/photo/camera-java.html

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 01:21 AM   #66
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Since the captain is still doing circles, here's a 2 minute time lapse of the crossing...

There's also a Lego version but I'll spare you that one xD

edit: btw, I just read the fee for crossing with a cargo ship... a ship this size often pays well over $200K to cross the canal wow

Last edited by svache; 03-14-2012 at 01:29 AM..
Appreciate 0