F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F30 Wind-Noise Issues
Extreme Powerhouse

04-30-2017, 10:34 PM   #925
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Modern Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by palomino0527 View Post
Im going to try to replace these next week ill let you guys know if it helps

1) Windshield trim

The windshield drip rails cause noise, the fix is to install the new components

51 13 7 321 818 B1-Clip (Qty 10)
51 31 7 258 187 B1-Drip moulding, left (1)
51 31 7 258 188 B1-Drip moulding, right (1)
I had a windshield installed with these new moldings and if it did help I didn't notice any reduction.
      05-02-2017, 10:08 AM   #926
themush1326
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemark View Post
ok, very interesting observation today which confirms my previous post! I was driving on a particular highway today that was paved about 3 months ago and noticed as I transitioned to this highway, the car goes EXTREMELY quiet. Not only did wind noise all but disappear, the road noise was next to nil. This confirms to me, what I have been perceiving as wind noise, is actually road noise. Has anyone else noticed this?
This is what I was going to post about, I thought it was wind noise but when I came to a stop or driving very slow same sound was present.
If I am stopped east bound I can actually hear west bound traffic whizzing past me
On smooth highway(hard to find in NJ)its fairly quiet(not silent but OK)
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 04:48 PM   #927
bluemark
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

As SamGh says, this is a design flaw in the F3x vehicles. It is not due to the size of the mirrors as I have driven a car with the mirror removed and the noise is still present. I had my 2012 F30 into the dealer several times with them adjusting doors, changing seals, shimming windows, etc with nothing fixing the issue, but instead, creating rattling issues. My hearing is not great, but the wind noise in my F30 and current F36 is the same and occurs in the same location near the upper B pillar and at the same speed >50 mph. From 2012, I have probably driven a dozen or more F3x vehicles and every one of them have the same wind noise issue. I believe the issue is with the thickness of side glass or the use of non noise deadening glass or perhaps a lack of door insulation. But, for anyone that is told by their dealer it is due to the size of the mirrors, tell them to go drive a Ford F-250 and explain why those suckers don't create hurricane forced wind noise! Let's all wait for the next generation to see if BMW addresses it, but if not, I, for one, will not be getting another BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 05:23 PM   #928
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

I love my 13 F30-335i, BUT the wind noise issue is so frustrating. I've been through several Dealer Service depart visits, including a ride with the Service Manager with no resolution. Service Manager said he has seen this problem in a host of F30s and the BMW has not addressed/ or owned the issue.

I've had the problem when i had the original RFT's and my Michelin Super Sports, on all road surfaces/conditions. It manifests itself starting at about 45 mph in any of these conditions and also appears to be located in the upper "B" pillar area.

I may try inserting a flexible 1/4" line inside the door gasket to see if by thickening it, it reduces the noise.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 06:24 PM   #929
bluemark
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion4 View Post
I love my 13 F30-335i, BUT the wind noise issue is so frustrating. I've been through several Dealer Service depart visits, including a ride with the Service Manager with no resolution. Service Manager said he has seen this problem in a host of F30s and the BMW has not addressed/ or owned the issue.

I've had the problem when i had the original RFT's and my Michelin Super Sports, on all road surfaces/conditions. It manifests itself starting at about 45 mph in any of these conditions and also appears to be located in the upper "B" pillar area.

I may try inserting a flexible 1/4" line inside the door gasket to see if by thickening it, it reduces the noise.
I've tried taping doors and windows. I've tried stuffing backing rod foam in all seams and openings. None of the attempts I made to eliminate or reduce the noise helped. Good luck and I hope you find the cure, but I suspect nothing will work. The reason I think it's the glass thickness or insulation/sound deadening within the doors is my F36 has frameless windows vs the frames of the F30, but the noise is very similar, in the same location and same speeds but yet, the design is completely different. I don't know, but just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 07:34 PM   #930
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Modern Line

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I've tried taping doors and windows. I've tried stuffing backing rod foam in all seams and openings. None of the attempts I made to eliminate or reduce the noise helped. Good luck and I hope you find the cure, but I suspect nothing will work. The reason I think it's the glass thickness or insulation/sound deadening within the doors is my F36 has frameless windows vs the frames of the F30, but the noise is very similar, in the same location and same speeds but yet, the design is completely different. I don't know, but just my 2 cents.
Honestly from my testing it seems like the non-M side/wing mirrors are the issue. Try putting a some blue masking tape covering the gap between the mirrors and the door, see if that makes a difference for you.
      05-14-2017, 08:03 PM   #931
KGB_123_99
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '17 330ix M-Sport, '09 528ix

I can tell you my new 2017 model is a lot quieter than my old 2013 was in terms of wind noise. I wonder what BMW changed.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 04:32 AM   #932
bluemark
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by etinifni View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Honestly from my testing it seems like the non-M side/wing mirrors are the issue. Try putting a some blue masking tape covering the gap between the mirrors and the door, see if that makes a difference for you.
Maybe I was using the wrong colour tape.......I used green masking tape instead of blue.

As indicated in my previous post, I've driven an F30 with the mirrors removed and it showed no change to the noise so I'm not sure why you are experiencing what you are. My dealer also said it was the mirrors which prompted them removing them to test the theory. I've also driven a couple of M cars with the double arm mirrors and experience the same noise. A bit more difficult to detect as exhaust and tire noise is higher in the M's.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 12:22 PM   #933
yamensbs
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2016 F30

Hi guys.. I'm new here and been following this thread for a while.. took the plunge and got an F30 and guess what.. wind noise was an addition to the car!

Took it back to the dealer. .One guy confirmed the issue and took it in and adjusted the doors and explained its fixed. Got it back and it wasn't. Another guy mentioned exactly the same thin glass talk but I'm not 100 % buying it as there doesn't seem to be many complaints about it and lots of reviews say its a quiet car!

One thing I noticed is that when you sit inside there seem to be a space between the door interior and the body of the car.. anyone noticed this? I can see the body of the car from that space.. not sure if it is the reason.. but the plan is to take the car back and see

P.S: the photo below is for illustration only
Attached Images

Last edited by yamensbs; 06-23-2017 at 09:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 10:52 PM   #934
nealh
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 340 Msport

I have 2018 340i and notice same wind noise issue. From what I'm reading there really is no fix. I will learn to live with it. But it's annoying

FWIW my 2014 428 convertible did not have this issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 08:22 AM   #935
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

I didn't read this entire thread, but I stumbled upon this thread on PH a few weeks ago while researching this. My new 340 seems to have excessive wind noise from the driver side mirror area.

They isolated it to a small gap between the A-pillar and windshield. It was fixed by applying tape (still trying to find a more permanent solution).

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...f=72&t=1583831 (last page of thread)

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 01:14 PM   #936
f30ser3
Private
Rep
Drives: On foot

My bmw f30 year 2017 has also very loud wind noise inside cabin. When I drive with car above 80km/h I have feeling like I would have front doors open. I think it is even louder on highway than our Hyundai. But this thing doesn't bothers me so much because car isn't well built anyway. I only hate beeping from dash area.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 07:10 PM   #937
brainy
Rep
Drives: 340i

I get a whistle noise sometimes which sounds like what others have described. I find if i turn off the climate control fan it stops. It kind of feels like it happens when driving into a head wind...

Probably not the same issue for others, but worth a mention just in case.

Last edited by brainy; 09-24-2017 at 04:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 05:41 PM   #938
JimCash
Always a Mystery to Solve
Canada
Rep
Drives: F31 328ixM & E39 540iA

I just had a 2017 330 loaner for a week and noticed it was quieter than our 2014.
Noticed that it had foam insulation strips between the front fender and the a A pillar - closing that gap between the fender and the body in front of the front doors - from top to bottom.

Looking at the RealOem stuff there are also other insulation items on the LCI cars (in the front fenders and other parts.
I checked with the dealer and there is confusion on this - especially the foam strip mentioned above. Although it is actually installed in the car it does not show up in the parts diagram as being for the 3 series - just the 4.

May try to order anyway and see if I can figure how to install - looks like might have to unbolt the fender panel at the rear.

Cheers
Jim Cash
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 12:34 PM   #939
AndrewHungarybimmer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012, Bmw F30 328i Luxury line

Side mirror wind noise solution is here:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 11:03 PM   #940
outspiral
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive m-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewHungarybimmer View Post
Side mirror wind noise solution is here:
I'm shocked no reply on this.. Almost 7 year long thread about wind noise. I just sold my '10 A4 and bought a '14 335i msport.. and here I am. A4 had no wind noise compared to this. The FIRST thing I did when driving on the highway after leaving the bmw dealer is check to see if a window was open.. Absolutely loving this car but the wind noise is an issue.. and oddly enough I think the passenger mirror sucks for visibility, but I'm researching one thing at a time.

Has anyone tried this fix with the mirror gap?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 04:53 AM   #941
bluemark
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by outspiral View Post
I'm shocked no reply on this.. Almost 7 year long thread about wind noise. I just sold my '10 A4 and bought a '14 335i msport.. and here I am. A4 had no wind noise compared to this. The FIRST thing I did when driving on the highway after leaving the bmw dealer is check to see if a window was open.. Absolutely loving this car but the wind noise is an issue.. and oddly enough I think the passenger mirror sucks for visibility, but I'm researching one thing at a time.

Has anyone tried this fix with the mirror gap?
Although I don’t dispute the mirrors may have been the cause of some noise, it certainly wasn’t the source of noise in my F30. The dealer did the so called mirror fix on mine twice, replaced door seals, shimmed the windows and countless tests all to determine it’s a plain and simple design flaw. I have not driven in an F30 that does not have significant wind noise. I’ve even driven in a car with an owner that claims his had no wind noise, but it also had wind noise. This is a definite design flaw that I suspect won’t be fixed until the redesign.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 09:55 AM   #942
f30ser3
Private
Rep

I have bmw 3 series 2017 and first thing I noticed on highway is very loud wind noise like doors or windows were open but of course they weren't. When I drove with my buddy's f30 2016 it was same story so it is obviously bad cabin insulation design so I didn't go back to dealer because they can do nothing if all f30s have same issue.
Audi A4 has much less wind noise and even our Hyundai Sonata is quieter on highways.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 01:11 PM   #943
outspiral
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive m-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30ser3 View Post
I have bmw 3 series 2017 and first thing I noticed on highway is very loud wind noise like doors or windows were open but of course they weren't. When I drove with my buddy's f30 2016 it was same story so it is obviously bad cabin insulation design so I didn't go back to dealer because they can do nothing if all f30s have same issue.
Audi A4 has much less wind noise and even our Hyundai Sonata is quieter on highways.
damn really? how they didn't fix this yet is mind boggling.. my a4 was much quieter also
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 01:42 PM   #944
bluemark
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by outspiral View Post
damn really? how they didn't fix this yet is mind boggling.. my a4 was much quieter also
Yeah, the new A4 is very quiet. I’m currently driving a ‘16 435 GC and although not as bad as my F30 was, it does still suffer from the same type of wind noise. I’m just wondering if it’s due to glass thickness in an attempt to save weight.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 02:12 PM   #945
f30ser3
Private
Rep

Quote:
I’m just wondering if it’s due to glass thickness in an attempt to save weight.
In my opinion this cannot be the case because in f10 and f30 they didn't put as much as aluminium on chassis and suspension as they did on previous generations of 3 and 5 series and as much other bmw competitors did. So they didn't save on weight at all.

The only reason for wind noise is that BMW is saving money where they shouldn't. And yes, new A4 and new C class are both much quieter at higher speeds. F30 at 100km/h sounds like you have doors open.

My other buddy has 2 years old f80 and every time I see him he complains about the front doors are squeaking and cracking so even high end of 3 series has some problems.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 05:37 PM   #946
bluemark
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30ser3 View Post
In my opinion this cannot be the case because in f10 and f30 they didn't put as much as aluminium on chassis and suspension as they did on previous generations of 3 and 5 series and as much other bmw competitors did. So they didn't save on weight at all.

The only reason for wind noise is that BMW is saving money where they shouldn't. And yes, new A4 and new C class are both much quieter at higher speeds. F30 at 100km/h sounds like you have doors open.

My other buddy has 2 years old f80 and every time I see him he complains about the front doors are squeaking and cracking so even high end of 3 series has some problems.
Thinner glass to save weight is just a guess. Maybe it’s thinner glass to save money. Who knows what the source of the noise is?
Appreciate 0