F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > BMW fuel pump recall issued for 2, 3 and 4 Series models
proTUNING Freaks

04-11-2015, 03:48 PM   #67
s!ke
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
Quote:
Originally Posted by s!ke View Post
I was talking with a tech and he said they went through 7 revisions on the old e9x pumps and still never got it right.
Those were the high pressure pumps on the engine and were e new design.
This is the low pressure pump in the fuel tank and an "old" design.
Very different problem.
Ah ok. Didn't know that.

/// 2008 e92 335i 6sp JB/CR | COBB AP | AR DP's | AFE DCI | FMIC | BMS Cowl Filters | Stett CP | Forge DV's | Sig photo by jMeas!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 04:37 PM   #68
bentwookie
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
So BMW should be doing Bosch's QA/QC for them? It's not BMW's job to order a part from Bosch and then independently test them to ensure they work - that's what BMW pays Bosch to do. Heck, why bother even ordering a part from a third party, why not just manufacture the part yourself? You go to a certain supplier because they're experts at what they do and provide so all proper measures should have been done before being shipped.
So, if that's what BMW did, how would you say that's working out for them?

The original statement was: The buck stops at BMW. That is true. The customer doesn't care that the pump came from Bosch anymore than they care that the nickel plating on the pump came from Bamangwato.

I'm sure BMW's marketing VP wishes every customer was as willing as a bimmerpost member to place the blame on the supplier (or the supplier's supplier).

But customers don't react that way. If you're on the hook for the blame, you'd better be part of making sure the part doesn't fail. Hence my surprise at your eye roll above about BMW inspecting the design.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 04:56 PM   #69
classyfast
Banned
Rep
Drives: e36m/e46m/E92 LCI 335/f30 335

Just when we thought hpfp and lpfp issues were a thing of the past. Lol
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 04:58 PM   #70
chipotle_napkins
Demoted lol
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Porsche soon (: Sowy

Oh now they do the recall, smh. Wished they would've done this 3 months ago and I wouldn't of have been stuck on a highway
      04-11-2015, 05:10 PM   #71
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentwookie View Post

70,500 recalled worldwide for this problem out of 5,926,949 BMW's sold in the last 3 years
      04-11-2015, 05:23 PM   #72
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentwookie View Post

The original statement was: The buck stops at BMW. That is true. The customer doesn't care that the pump came from Bosch anymore than they care that the nickel plating on the pump came from Bamangwato.

I'm sure BMW's marketing VP wishes every customer was as willing as a bimmerpost member to place the blame on the supplier (or the supplier's supplier).

But customers don't react that way. If you're on the hook for the blame, you'd better be part of making sure the part doesn't fail. Hence my surprise at your eye roll above about BMW inspecting the design.
Do customers have the right to be upset/angry at BMW? Absolutely. People are going to blame BMW because they need someone to blame but doesn't mean it's warranted or justified. I know the general public doesn't know, and some may not even care that BMW didn't make the part but are still going to jump to conclusions - that's what we called being ignorant.

Let's just say BMW did inspect the part. It's not their design so what would they know to inspect? The description of the fault is improper plating. Only Bosch knows what that means. If BMW engineers took it apart, for all they know, if there isn't an obvious fault in the design they would say looks OK. If you want to say, they should have tested it they could but the result would have been the same. It's not an immediate fault, it's going to occur over time so the batch of parts would have been used anyway until their test part fails at which a recall would be made like it has.

Ultimately, BMW is not at fault. You could blame BMW but it will be misplaced blame.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 06:27 PM   #73
bentwookie
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
Do customers have the right to be upset/angry at BMW? Absolutely. People are going to blame BMW because they need someone to blame but doesn't mean it's warranted or justified. I know the general public doesn't know, and some may not even care that BMW didn't make the part but are still going to jump to conclusions - that's what we called being ignorant.

Let's just say BMW did inspect the part. It's not their design so what would they know to inspect? The description of the fault is improper plating. Only Bosch knows what that means. If BMW engineers took it apart, for all they know, if there isn't an obvious fault in the design they would say looks OK. If you want to say, they should have tested it they could but the result would have been the same. It's not an immediate fault, it's going to occur over time so the batch of parts would have been used anyway until their test part fails at which a recall would be made like it has.

Ultimately, BMW is not at fault. You could blame BMW but it will be misplaced blame.
They should contract out the design & manufacture of the remaining parts, then none of it would be their responsibility!

With that, my sarcasm detector is back in working order. Good luck F30'ers.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 06:34 PM   #74
Ganxxta
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F32 4er Coupé

Seems I might be lucky my car was manufactured later than the dates mentioned in the recall
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 07:20 PM   #75
mmmmm235i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 440xi GC

Good to know that the lpfp is an easier fix than the hpfp, but if I wanted these type of issues I could have found two N54 335s for the price I paid for the f22. Regardless of whether blame is deserved, it is BMW who puts their name on the overall product and it is there reputation that will suffer in the consumer market (the effects on Bosch as ca company don't really effect our cars). For me and I'm sure some others, when you have had consistent problems with a "luxury performance" car, something like this however minor is going to weigh heavily on BMW fair or not. At this point I hardly want to take my car to a dealerhsip for anything even if its free.

RETIRED:
2018 440xi GC, Carbon Black on Black/Blue
2014 M235i Black on Black, DINAN Stage 2
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 07:52 PM   #76
Alumac
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: prudently

Quote:
Originally Posted by classyfast View Post
Just when we thought hpfp and lpfp issues were a thing of the past. Lol
My thoughts exactly.

BMW has become a train wreck with their engines.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 07:54 PM   #77
jofealvi
Civil Engineer
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I Glacier Silver

Unhappy

Here is the document with the range of vehicules.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...5V189-2372.PDF
BMW M235I- Glacier Silver Metallic - Harman Kardon -Xenón Lights -Sunroof - Electric Seats - Dakota Coral Red Leather. Previous vehicles:2015 BMW 118i M-Sport Estoril Blue--2013 BMW X1 XDRIVE 28I Sport Line- Mineral grey--2011 BMW X3 XDRIVE 35I Mineral Silver
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 08:10 PM   #78
bill1718
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 435i ///Msport

so a 2015 435i gran coupe has the recall but my 2015 435i coupe doesnt mhhmmmm
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 08:23 PM   #79
joewalton
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Gran Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
70,500 recalled worldwide for this problem out of 5,926,949 BMW's sold in the last 3 years
For my 2015 428i, are you saying that only some will be recalled this go-round or all are anticipated to be recalled?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 08:32 PM   #80
joewalton
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Gran Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by jofealvi View Post
Here is the document with the range of vehicules.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...5V189-2372.PDF

Thank you jofealvi....

So if I'm looking at this correctly, only 10 of the very earliest Gran Coupe's are being recalled and my GC which was manufactured in November 2014 is in good shape, yes?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 08:55 PM   #81
DJ Rocc
Major
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i Gran Coupe (2015)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewalton View Post

Thank you jofealvi....

So if I'm looking at this correctly, only 10 of the very earliest Gran Coupe's are being recalled and my GC which was manufactured in November 2014 is in good shape, yes?
Yes I do believe you are correct.

Mine was manufactured on June 25, 2014, so hopefully it is immune too as well?!
My Ride! : 2015 428i GC (F36) - MSport, Alpine, Black Leather, MBrakes, Adaptive, Sport Seats, Hex. Alum w/Piano, HK Sound, 400m's, Comfort Acc. When I’m not Driving: https://youtube.com/shorts/ViKD_Hj5htE?feature=share
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 09:07 PM   #82
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmm235i View Post
Good to know that the lpfp is an easier fix than the hpfp, but if I wanted these type of issues I could have found two N54 335s for the price I paid for the f22. Regardless of whether blame is deserved, it is BMW who puts their name on the overall product and it is there reputation that will suffer in the consumer market (the effects on Bosch as ca company don't really effect our cars). For me and I'm sure some others, when you have had consistent problems with a "luxury performance" car, something like this however minor is going to weigh heavily on BMW fair or not. At this point I hardly want to take my car to a dealerhsip for anything even if its free.
I know how you feel but that's me not fully trusting the dealership from experience. First, it's the time you have to take out of your schedule. Then they try to feed you bulls--t, charging you bits here and there when they should fully cover the cost under warranty - then you're forced to dispute that having to talk to various people to get it resolved and it's more time and stress. Of course there's the occasional scratch and scuff mark you find when you get the car back. Try arguing that. Eventually you just give up and buff it out yourself. For me, all the dealers in my area suck.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 09:19 PM   #83
tibookM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F25, F86, G01

Funny, I had to replace my LPFP back in May of last year. Because I had already done my tune I figured I'd replace myself and upgrade the pump while I was at it. Since the tune had only been on a couple days, I had a really hard time believing it was related. Now I know it wasn't.

Get one of those ring tools if you want to do it yourself. The F series ones are a real bitch to remove without it.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 09:25 PM   #84
Bescacho
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 X-Drive

This is BMW's issue despite Bosch is the supplier. In the auto parts business, any supplier's products must pass and get the blessings from car makers' (OEMs) engineers. They provide the requirements and specs to suppliers and they test the designs and products from suppliers before making purchase orders. Bosch will get a $ hit on warranty claims on their supplied parts but BMW will get a hit on its good will. After all BMW is the one that decided the Bosche fuel pump is good enough and sold it to you. This is just the way it works. FYI - I'm at Sr. Level on the business side in the auto parts sector with one of the largest global auto parts companies.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 10:09 PM   #85
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

I could be off in space, but I think the root cause of HPFP failures is these designs were ported from diesel engines. Diesel fuel lubricates the mechanism, petrol does not, so failures are more frequent, despite any engineering changes made to deal with the issue.
      04-11-2015, 10:38 PM   #86
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Too many conflating the old hpfp issue with this one. They are not the same and every one needs to calm down. Your car will be in perfect working order, it just needs a new lpfp which they are replacing under warranty and will give you a loaner while they do it. Is this an inconvenience to the consumer? YES. Does this mean your car is a worthless PoS? NO.

No manufacturer is free of recalls, just be thankful they are not sitting on it hoping for the best. Once they had a new lpfp design and the supply needed to replace them all they sent out the notice, rather swiftly.
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2015, 11:51 PM   #87
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Happy to see they did a recall this time. This is the impact of the big GM Cobalt case. No manufacturer wants to get hit with a multi billion dollar liability like GM is dealing with. We will see more and more recalls as soon as there are failures like this.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 11:54 PM   #88
Oyinko
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

My M235i from Feb 2014 is within the range. Should I wait for the letter or BMW or should I contact my dealership right now?
Appreciate 0