F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > F30 - N26 - Timing Chain Guide Failure
ARMA SPEED

11-29-2023, 10:22 AM   #1
MK_F30
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi F30

F30 - N26 - Timing Chain Guide Failure

Just put a ton of money into my 2013 F30 106K miles, that I generally maintain well and one of the few BMWs I've enjoyed having. Unfortunately, a week after new suspension, tires, all required maintenance I became a victim to the notorious timing chain guide failure and BMW is saying the engine needs replacement - which I can't do.

I am uphauled by this news. If there was a Class Action lawsuit for the N26 engine failures as a result of this exact scenario, how is it possible that BMW would not flag this potential failure to current owners, or recall the plastic guide for failure prevention. I also can’t understand why this wouldn’t be flagged/checked/mentioned during a routine BMW oil change.

Regardless, I've seen success stories related to owners getting new engines or repairs completed by BMW SULEV warranty because people are able to attribute the failure to other SULEV engine components which BMW agreed to.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 11:28 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

BMW did flag this potential failure by sending the extended warranty information to all registered owners of affected vehicles. It's also been extensively reported on here for the last eight years. You have to consult the SULEV warranty for your vehicle year to see what's covered.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 12:21 PM   #3
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
As long as the drivetrain components are 100% stock... and the DME has never been flashed... you have a good chance at getting the cost of repairs covered.

Who confirmed your timing chain components are failing? The dealer has a special tool that checks for elongation through the tensioner hole... but if you have them partially tear down the engine and they find no issues, you'll be on the hook for a couple hours diagnosis.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 09:42 PM   #4
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i N26

How do you know the timing chain guide failed? How did BMW confirm it? Did they use the official guide and the special tools like IMIB, etc outlined below?

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...04534-9999.pdf
      11-30-2023, 06:22 AM   #5
MK_F30
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi F30

Thanks. So I don’t believe I ever received a notification from BMW, and to be honest I didn’t research for awareness.

BMW tech claims to be very confident it’s the guide based on prior experience with this type of failure in the past, and the slack in the chain. In fairness the mechanic found bearing material in the oil filter, says he’s confident there will be no warranty coverage, and says he’s attempting to spare me the cost of tearing down further only to get to same outcome.

I’m unsure if it’s worth having another mechanic look to see if it can be attributed to a component covered by SULEV. I’m sure BMW does what they can to avoid engine replacement. If there was an opportunity I’d be willing to attempt. Only other option would be to entertain the Indy BMW specialty motor shop that quoted about $5,200 for re-built engine installation with 1yr warranty - I don’t think that level of investment is worth it.

I do love the car, it was the highest optioned sport at the time, and outside of this issue it’s in fantastic shape. Welcome suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 10:03 AM   #6
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i N26

I still don’t understand what makes the mechanic think the guide has already failed? Bearings parts in the oil filter? Chunks or microscopic metal particles? What about the oil? Drained it and checked? Did the dealer diagnose as outlined by the official BMW timing chain diagnosis guide? Because that is the official way to determine if the extended timing chain et al warranty is warranted. Some cars in some states still qualify.

The dealer seems quite cavalier about the certainty that your timing guide has failed by pointing to dubious evidence…at least based on your description. Still no idea what symptoms lead him to conclude ithe timing chain guide broke and ruined the bearings. Your engine does not run? Makes a noise? Goes into limp mode? Tear the engine apart based on a hunch?

If you cannot confirm through the oil fill opening, and the dealer is not willing to do the official diagnosis, then the most convenient but labor intensive option is to drop the oil pan to check for guide pieces. If you can do it yourself.