F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 330D M Sport "Superman" Pics
proTUNING Freaks

12-01-2012, 08:34 AM   #67
oop north
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Subaru Outback 3.0R

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 09:26 AM   #68
DieselRocket
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435d M Sport

That's an absolutely stunning car! Hope it was worth all the pain of the long wait in the end ...

I've got an F30 330d M Sport in EBII with very similar spec on order (though sadly I wimped out on Superman spec & went with black Dakota).

It's great to hear the good comments about the HK as well. I have a very serious home hi-fi system and I generally don't expect great things from car hi-fi systems. Sounds like this one could change that.

My car should be arriving in two weeks' time - can't wait!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 09:38 AM   #69
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyc View Post
That's an absolutely stunning car! Hope it was worth all the pain of the long wait in the end ...

I've got an F30 330d M Sport in EBII with very similar spec on order (though sadly I wimped out on Superman spec & went with black Dakota).

It's great to hear the good comments about the HK as well. I have a very serious home hi-fi system and I generally don't expect great things from car hi-fi systems. Sounds like this one could change that.

My car should be arriving in two weeks' time - can't wait!
HK is fantastic system for a car, and infinitely better than the stock system we get here in the UK, and is brilliant value for money; though if you have an expensive hi-Fi system at home, make sure you don't set yourself up for disappointment by expecting too much from it It's brilliant, but obviously won't be anywhere near as good as a high-end home hi-Fi system in a good acoustic environment...
      12-01-2012, 10:11 AM   #70
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: AMG C63s Coupe & F56 JCW

Looks fantastic enjoy
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 11:11 AM   #71
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW83 View Post
HK is fantastic system for a car, and infinitely better than the stock system we get here in the UK, and is brilliant value for money; though if you have an expensive hi-Fi system at home, make sure you don't set yourself up for disappointment by expecting too much from it It's brilliant, but obviously won't be anywhere near as good as a high-end home hi-Fi system in a good acoustic environment...
Yeah, I'd second that The HK is streets ahead of what most people have probably even heard. It's way better than most home theatre systems and way better than your average pleb will have on their iPod dock or headphones. However, if you've got a few grand's worth of HiFi shizzle and you've set up your listening room correctly, nothing will come close. The HK will be no better than "very good" to an aficionado To everyone else it's OSSUM
      12-01-2012, 12:05 PM   #72
Moonunit
England
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 330d m sport

The pictures are fantastic. After giving up on my delivery these have reignited my excitement. What camera did you use?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 12:23 PM   #73
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW83 View Post
HK is a great upgrade.

I would add though, coming from other cars fitted with standard systems, the BMW standard kit is still better than most. Not many standard car systems have woofers under the seats, which is probably why some take a dim view to it, it encourages higher volumes.....where it falls over. You wouldn't dare putting the volume that high on a standard Audi or Merc system....trust me

This is what is really perculiar to me. I would hazard a guess that BMW's are more likely to have the sound system upgraded to HK (from seeing used car option lists, and users on forums like this one). Your average Merc or Audi driver is less likely to opt for the upgraded system, and they have a worse system to start with.....odd
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #74
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

The standard system isn't terrible I agree; I can't comment on how it compares to other cars as I've had BMWs for many years now; but for £650 the HK upgrade is a steal, so much better than standard for the little added cost!

I don't think HK is spec'd that much though; the 2 dealers I visited while looking at the F30 didn't have any cars in stock for me to try it in (not even older used ones), and the salespeople I spoke to didn't have much experience of it and didn't know much about it, as if it's not something that's chosen much.

I think enthusiasts on forums are more likely to go more mad on the options list and be more bothered about getting the best, than e.g. a company car driver (sadly making up many 3 Series sales!) with a base spec, so perhaps all the talk on here about HK and HUD etc. isn't representative of the bigger picture? I could be wrong though, but my sales guy did say it's not spec'd very often, though it most definitely should be!

I was much more impressed with the F30’s standard system compared with the standard system in my 135i though. That really is bad, very thin-sounding and dull. I almost didn't go for the HK in the end, but I'm into my music so thought for the cost it was probably worth having. I'm sure I won't be disappointed
      12-01-2012, 12:49 PM   #75
oop north
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Subaru Outback 3.0R

In my many used car searches (autotrader, BMW auc, pistonheads), hk appears to be very rare on the f30. I think most people don't have it as a priority - in my experience, most people (I have taken quite a few to hifi shops overs the years and made them listen) can tell more difference between different audio setups than they think.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 12:56 PM   #76
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

Personally I've found BMW's have the worst sounding standard systems of all their competitors, especially in Europe where we don't get the business system as standard. My Mercedes which has just gone back had the standard system and it sounded great. The F11 I had before with the standard system really was poor as was the F31 I test drove. On the E60, E92 and X5 I owned I went for the business sound system upgrade. This will be my first time going for HK.

I've got a Hertz Kia Ceed at the moment and I think it's sound system is great.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 01:03 PM   #77
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
I'm not enjoying the standard sound system.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 01:14 PM   #78
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
I'm not enjoying the standard sound system.
Alpine upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 01:26 PM   #79
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Personally I've found BMW's have the worst sounding standard systems of all their competitors, especially in Europe where we don't get the business system as standard. My Mercedes which has just gone back had the standard system and it sounded great. The F11 I had before with the standard system really was poor as was the F31 I test drove. On the E60, E92 and X5 I owned I went for the business sound system upgrade. This will be my first time going for HK.

I am surprised you found the Merc system better. For me the F30 system is as big an upgrade over my C class COMAND with standard speaker system,as HK is to stock BMW. The C class had no bass, not that that worried me as I am no longer a big music whilst driving type person....I spend more time on the flippin phone, for which any system is good.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #80
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Alpine upgrade?
Waiting to see when (if) BMW make it available for the F30. They did a £600 one for the E81 I had.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 01:35 PM   #81
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
I am surprised you found the Merc system better. For me the F30 system is as big an upgrade over my C class COMAND with standard speaker system,as HK is to stock BMW. The C class had no bass, not that that worried me as I am no longer a big music whilst driving type person....I spend more time on the flippin phone, for which any system is good.
Probably the CLS had a better standard system than the C class? I've never tried the system in a C class.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #82
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Probably the CLS had a better standard system than the C class? I've never tried the system in a C class.
That would be why
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 01:59 PM   #83
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
Waiting to see when (if) BMW make it available for the F30. They did a £600 one for the E81 I had.
Yes they do, I have already seen the spec somewhere. Think it might be in the same catalogue that lists the M perfromance stuff.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 02:01 PM   #84
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonunit View Post
The pictures are fantastic. After giving up on my delivery these have reignited my excitement. What camera did you use?
Thanks man - I think camera details are on the last page ... but that would be rude

Nikon D700 with a Nikon 105mm f2.8 G AF-S VR IF ED Micro Nikkor Lens (yes, that's a mouthful). Most of the external shots were taken at around f/4.5 an 1/50s and ISO 800 - gotta love noise free, high ISO photography: something we only dreamed of a decade ago and the whole reason I bought the D700 I underexposed by a couple of clicks from what the camera was metering and then used Lightroom to bring up the mids and highlights but leave the darker shadows then colour-corrected it. Hopefully it looks something akin to what the human eye would see in the same carpark
      12-01-2012, 02:04 PM   #85
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
and I think it's sound system is great.
Quote:
it's sound system is great.
Quote:
it's
Quote:
'

12-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #86
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post

Hey the Kia stereo is great.....it drowns out that awful noise the engine makes.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 02:15 PM   #87
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I'm sure it is but I can't let grammar like that go unpunished
      12-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #88
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom