F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Stock F30 335i Axle Back Exhaust Muffler Modification and Dissection
GetBMWParts

05-03-2013, 04:34 PM   #45
Bowser330
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: i3 REX

Wait so the 335i exhaust is one huge piece from the turbo back? No clamps or flanges?

So if someone has a lease and wants exhaust they have to do custom piping from the turbo back? Does anyone know of any members that have custom turbo back exhaust piping?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 09:32 PM   #46
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
So there IS some drone with the M Perf Exhaust (as mentioned above in comfort and ECO mode)???
It drones a tad in comfort, if anyone says differently they're just not hearing it. The reason it drones in comfort and Eco is you're using all 8 gears and it revs super low at cruise speeds so the low revs give off that drone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser330 View Post

Wait so the 335i exhaust is one huge piece from the turbo back? No clamps or flanges?

So if someone has a lease and wants exhaust they have to do custom piping from the turbo back? Does anyone know of any members that have custom turbo back exhaust piping?
Yes it's one piece. Pm Challange gtm they have their own cat back exhaust and it sounds great. It's around $1500 for the base exhaust.
      06-01-2013, 03:10 PM   #47
ThatEgyptianKid
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koer View Post
Sorry for the holdup guys!

The process was only to cut into chamber 1 and remove half of the insulation and cover only half of the holes.

Living with the sound difference for a few days made me wish i had closed up the whole tube and removed the whole insulation from chamber 1. The positive side is, if you just want to go quietly about, it will only turn heads when you step on it. Considering i travel with my family all the time, the last thing i want is a lousy exhaust, i think i achieved a moderate grumpy sound with a touch of loudness, still without being intrusive at all! (with the music up you still wont hear a thing)

WARNING! the wig stuff is fiberglass composite mix, dont breathe that stuff, dont touch that stuff, dont even look at that stuff, take it out and dispose of it, it WILL become airborne after a while. You have been warned.

And finally, i dont like uploading things to youtube so have the video file instead!
Filmed it from underneath but the sound is identical standing from behind

http://ubuntuone.com/0MpZ0XSngWlqqBLfHvOV1S

All in the name of science!
Sorry do request another video or a re-upload
but your link of the sound of the exhaust isnt workinig and ive tried all my computer. id really like to hear it
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 10:16 PM   #48
Koer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 2014 Sec. 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatEgyptianKid View Post
Sorry do request another video or a re-upload
but your link of the sound of the exhaust isnt workinig and ive tried all my computer. id really like to hear it
Well thats weird, it opened up in mine just fine... try quick time player or something else, im posting an mp3 version of it, sorry for the bad quality!

http://ubuntuone.com/539Dc0mFdasuVsy2TPcxb3

hope it helps, the sound is actually much louder than that, but microphones are not very good at recording exhaust sounds.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 06:53 PM   #49
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by utenigma View Post
Really interesting, were you able to complete and test?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulBailey@ltbmw View Post
Very interested!
Can't wait to see the results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Just removing the damping material will change the sound, making it louder and perhaps even a bit deeper.

If you consider that low frequencies are also longer waves, then allowing that wave to travel through to the outlet without being broken up will result in a deeper sound. Long waves can also bend around corners like through the tubing. That's why in a house we can still hear the bass coming from the stereo even if we're in another room down the hall.
Your idea to close off those holes is a "sound" idea, as those holes are where the longer sound wave is being broken up.
That additional damping material further absorbs the broken wave energy to keep things quieter.

I think you're going to get a much louder and deeper tone, but will it sound pleasant? THAT is THE question.
If it does sound good I'll be surprised considering that manufacturers spend time tuning mufflers and exhausts systems not just for flow but sound quality. It'll be a very happy surprise if the louder sound is also a pleasant one. You may find that only closing half or one side of the holes will yield a better tone.
Maybe you should have done only one side at a time.
That way you would know if you're on the right track.
But, too late now. If the sound is ugly you could then try drilling some holes back in.

I had a Yamaha V-twin a few years back with a very anemic and very quiet exhaust due to the same type of design as our stock mufflers. People experimented and came up with some ideas. I used the recommendations and did the drilling. Yes, the sound was louder and deeper, but the quality of the sound sucked.
So, I opted for a set of low cost slip on mufflers made by Jardine. The result was louder, deeper, but a much better and mellower sound quality.
The best experimental experience I had was with my former Honda VFR750.
It's a V-4 engine. I had a nice though quiet Yoshimura slip on muffler.
One day I took off the slip on and fired up the V-4. WOW, man that engine had a cool sound and with just the headers the sound was glorious. But now way I could ride it around, it was just too freaking loud.
I've loved the sound of V4 engines ever since. Too bad they're not common. I'd love an auto maker to make a V4 for a car. That configuration yields great torque, and what a sound, think 2 V-Twins beating against each other.
I digress, sorry.

I want to hear your frankenmuff experiment. Let me know when it's done and I can come out and take a listen.
PM or email me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyG View Post
Thanks for being the guinnea pig and trying this out! I'm looking forward to the results!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roki_014 View Post
e jedva cekam da cujem, sta mislis da li ce imati problema sa warranty, can they even find out you did anything since its on the inside of the exhaust, I guess they will notice it sounds different
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz335i View Post
Videos plz...and ASAP...
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbright View Post
Did you get yours done yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roki_014 View Post
any updates?
Sorry it took so long.

03-12-2014, 12:15 PM   #50
AK.Alexx
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 on order

Does the BMW M135i has the same muffler?
So you've removed all packing inside in your videos?

thx!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 12:36 PM   #51
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexx911
Does the BMW M135i has the same muffler?
So you've removed all packing inside in your videos?

thx!
I'm not sure, but from what I saw underneath it looks very similar on all the new platforms. That included the f30, m235i and the 135i.

The packing was taken out of the side chambers and put into the middle one.
      03-12-2014, 01:07 PM   #52
Philipangoo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335

You have been running this set up for a while. Any change in the sound overtime or is it holding up well ?
      03-12-2014, 01:26 PM   #53
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipangoo
You have been running this set up for a while. Any change in the sound overtime or is it holding up well ?
No change. It sounds the same. The M performance muffler is still sitting on the shelf .
      03-13-2014, 03:24 AM   #54
AK.Alexx
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 on order

Ok,thanks! Maybe I should give it a go...
Did you also experienced without putting the packing in the center chamber?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 07:17 PM   #55
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexx911
Ok,thanks! Maybe I should give it a go...
Did you also experienced without putting the packing in the center chamber?
No, because once it was sealed via welder I never reopened it, so didn't experiment much with moving the packing around.

If you do give it a go, a few tips for you.
Whatever shop you use make sure they have stainless steel sheets laying around. Reason being, when you open the muffler with a grinder or torch you're actually making a gap in that metal. So in the end when they go to put it all back together you will end up with like a 1/4 in gap up top which will be impossible to weld shut without that extra stainless sheet. They will know what to do if they're a decent exhaust shop.

Good luck.
      03-16-2014, 08:09 AM   #56
TurboM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F82 M4 ZCP

I realize the outside of the muffler needs to be welded but is there any reason JB Weld wouldn't work to close up the small holes (yes I know it sounds like a redneck move)?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 12:11 PM   #57
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboM
I realize the outside of the muffler needs to be welded but is there any reason JB Weld wouldn't work to close up the small holes (yes I know it sounds like a redneck move)?
Not that I can think of. But I'm not sure what the long term effects would be, as jb weld is not as strong as an actual weld I didn't want to have the constant heat of the tubes to dislodge or undo the jb weld. I'm not even sure it would happen.

Perhaps jb weld would hold for ever. But being no one has tried it on such a large scale to patch up that many holes I didn't wanna be a guinea pig.
      03-16-2014, 12:41 PM   #58
TurboM
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post
Not that I can think of. But I'm not sure what the long term effects would be, as jb weld is not as strong as an actual weld I didn't want to have the constant heat of the tubes to dislodge or undo the jb weld. I'm not even sure it would happen.

Perhaps jb weld would hold for ever. But being no one has tried it on such a large scale to patch up that many holes I didn't wanna be a guinea pig.
True. Thanks for your opinion. I may give it a shot next week as I'd like to add a little more throatiness to the exhaust note and could care less about the muffler if it doesn't work out. Just need to find a place that can weld the muffler shut for a decent price...
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 01:20 PM   #59
TurboM
Captain
United_States
Rep

Also, is the canister aluminum or steel?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 12:09 AM   #60
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Also, is the canister aluminum or steel?
The canister itself is aluminum, but the tubing and tips are steel.

Yeah try it. You're in the same boat I was in. Did not care about the muffler so I tried it. Wanted something a bit louder then the m performance and I got it

Let me know how it turns out. Any good reputable shop should be able to accommodate you.
      03-17-2014, 04:21 PM   #61
TurboM
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Yeah try it. You're in the same boat I was in. Did not care about the muffler so I tried it. Wanted something a bit louder then the m performance and I got it

Let me know how it turns out. Any good reputable shop should be able to accommodate you.
I just cut it open today and applied about 5oz of JB weld across all of the holes. Pretty sure I got them all but it was a bit hard to see all of the ones on the bottom half. Not really sure what to do about the packing material though. I guess the 3 options are:

- put it back in chambers 1 and 3, or
- put it in the center chamber
- throw it in the trash

Any thoughts?

I'm having a local welder close it up tomorrow afternoon as the JB weld needs about 24hrs to fully cure. Based on the pictures I sent him he's pretty convinced the canister is stainless steel.

Last edited by TurboM; 03-17-2014 at 04:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 06:31 PM   #62
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I just cut it open today and applied about 5oz of JB weld across all of the holes. Pretty sure I got them all but it was a bit hard to see all of the ones on the bottom half. Not really sure what to do about the packing material though. I guess the 3 options are:

- put it back in chambers 1 and 3, or
- put it in the center chamber
- throw it in the trash

Any thoughts?

I'm having a local welder close it up tomorrow afternoon as the JB weld needs about 24hrs to fully cure. Based on the pictures I sent him he's pretty convinced the canister is stainless steel.
I wouldn't throw away the packing. I'd put it back into chamber 1 & 3 like it was. I put it into chamber 2 but I don't have any evidence if it helped more or less.

Yes the canister is 100% stainless. I tested it myself with the old magnet test. Not sticky=stainless or aluminum.
Some stainless has some magnetic properties but this canister had zero lol.
      03-17-2014, 06:45 PM   #63
TurboM
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I wouldn't throw away the packing. I'd put it back into chamber 1 & 3 like it was. I put it into chamber 2 but I don't have any evidence if it helped more or less.

Yes the canister is 100% stainless. I tested it myself with the old magnet test. Not sticky=stainless or aluminum.
Some stainless has some magnetic properties but this canister had zero lol.
You only sealed about half of the holes though right?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 07:52 PM   #64
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
No, all of them. That was another member on here. My canister was open all the way and every hole was welded shut.
      03-17-2014, 10:51 PM   #65
TurboM
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981
No, all of them. That was another member on here. My canister was open all the way and every hole was welded shut.
Ah ok, thanks. I'm thinking I'm going to keep all the muffler packing where it originally was, even tho it won't be doing much, if anything at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 11:50 PM   #66
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981
Ah ok, thanks. I'm thinking I'm going to keep all the muffler packing where it originally was, even tho it won't be doing much, if anything at all.
ThatS what I would do. I think leaving it out will cause drone. My exhaust is borderline. If I leave the flap open 100% and drive around in comfort on the highway you just barely get a faint noise. But in sport nothing.
If you lave in the spring and let the flap open as it was designed then no issues whatsoever.

I can't wait to hear what you think about the sound after you get it all bolted back up.