F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Help!? Battery registration and disabling “smart” alternator to save battery?
Extreme Powerhouse

05-25-2018, 05:46 AM   #1
Galaxy1223
Rep
Drives: 316iA F31

Help!? Battery registration and disabling “smart” alternator to save battery?

Hello,

Modern BMW's have pretty bad battery life and one reason is that the battery is not charged to 100%, but to around 80% to save the environment etc... Few battery facts that I have understood after browsing the amazing Internet:

- If you need to replace the battery you need to register it or the alternator does not work correctly.

- To prolong the life of the battery IGR or smart alternator or regenerative breaking (to my understanding all mean the same feature) you need to do some coding. If the feature is disabled the battery is charged to 100% and also us living in the cold environment can start up our cars in the morning.

I have really tried to find a instructions how to do these, but failed. For FDL coding there are clear instructions that I have used to code my car (I have ESYS installed) but for these ones no and I dont like to take big risks with my car. So, could it be possible for someone who knows BMW F-series coding to make even short instructions how this can be done? It does not necessarily have to be step-by-step everything (even better if it is) but even like:

- Install program X
- Connect to car
- Go to Y -> X and select B
- Reboot
-etc...

I know that I am not the only one looking for this info. I am absolute sure that for those of you who have done this it might be clear as day but for the rest of us its its... you know

Update!

The correct way to register battery is to use ISTA+, but it seems that it requires:
- 70A external power source
- ICOM cable that costs a lot. Some Chinese copies from ~200$ up to several thousands...

Last edited by Galaxy1223; 05-25-2018 at 03:16 PM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 08:02 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Battery registration isn't done with E-Sys. Typically you use a scanner with registration capability, like the Foxwell NT 510. Some app based programs can do it as well, Carly for one. This is a well known and well documented procedure, you can even find youtube videos showing how it's done.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 02:50 PM   #3
Galaxy1223
Rep
Drives: 316iA F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Battery registration isn't done with E-Sys. Typically you use a scanner with registration capability, like the Foxwell NT 510. Some app based programs can do it as well, Carly for one. This is a well known and well documented procedure, you can even find youtube videos showing how it's done.
Based on what I have read about Carly it does not work for battery registration even they claim it should be able to do it. It shows "Battery registered successfully" but nothing has actually happened. So I would not spend ~150$ to Carly.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 06:32 AM   #4
Hypermile
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d xDrive M-S M-P

Bump for info on disabling "smart" (eco) battery charging.

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 07:29 AM   #5
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I wouldn't, as the OP was incorrect. The reason for registration is that to compensate for the lessened ability of the battery to hold a charge as it ages the level of charge is increased as it ages. If a new battery is installed and it's not registered to car will continue to charge it at a higher rate, reducing battery life.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 06:55 AM   #6
a6e855
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d F11

So have you managed to somehow disable the "smart" charging to let the car charge the battery to 100%?
Appreciate 0