F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Adding THP to a basic
ARMA SPEED

05-19-2018, 11:59 AM   #1
hyhero89
Rep
Drives: 340i 2017 M sport RWD, black

Adding THP to a basic

Hello guys.
I am looking to buy a CPO 340i, but it was not easy to find one that really fits my preference in the tristate area where I am in now. (RWD, X-drive both are fine)

Just some quick questions, is it widely done by a lot of owners to add track handling package to a used basic car after they get one from dealership? How much cost do I have to expect for this if I get this job done in local shop? Or is it not a financially wise choice at all (in which case It'd be better to look for one that has already THP with more affordable price)

This may sound like a silly question, I know I'm not savvy on this thing.
Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 12:25 PM   #2
m3driver999
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyhero89 View Post
Hello guys.
I am looking to buy a CPO 340i, but it was not easy to find one that really fits my preference in the tristate area where I am in now. (RWD, X-drive both are fine)

Just some quick questions, is it widely done by a lot of owners to add track handling package to a used basic car after they get one from dealership? How much cost do I have to expect for this if I get this job done in local shop? Or is it not a financially wise choice at all (in which case It'd be better to look for one that has already THP with more affordable price)

This may sound like a silly question, I know I'm not savvy on this thing.
Thanks in advance
Hello,

I think it is simlar to the F22 chassis, the THP option involves many new parts and electronics. Adap dampers + different springs + electronics, etc...

The THP package, IMHO, better tuned than the passive suspension and ride quality can be changed slightly via the confort/sport switch.

I'd say wait for a THP,
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 05:32 PM   #3
cmplaya
Captain
Rep
Drives: B58

i would not add it after the fact. just find one that has it already if you really want it
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 10:03 PM   #4
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Adding THP after the vehicle has been produced is not a trivial project, mainly because there is no official, repeatable and fully documented process. You will need a list of all parts, including wiring harnesses, and someone willing and ready to understand all the differences between non-THP and THP-equipped vehicles in order to reconstruct the retrofit procedure. Plus coding will be required and erased whenever the dealer may have to install new coding firmware from the factory.

I suggest to wait for THP equipped vehicle or consider coilovers with independent adjustments for compression / rebound.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 10:54 PM   #5
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

One option is: Get any car and if it doesn't have track handling package buy the m performance suspension.

Second: just wait fOr just get the THP with blue brakes

Also- my car has no THP but has the adaptive suspension!
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 11:31 AM   #6
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

My family currently has F30s with Track Handling Package (my 340i) and without (our 2015 328i with the Sport Line suspension). I like THP especially for its added smoothness and comfort plus it is better at absorbing big bumps when driving quickly. If you can wait to find a car with it, I think it's worth it. If not, it won't be worth the large expense + dealing with coding to make the adaptive dampers work.

If you get a car without THP and you are unhappy with the passive suspension, I recommend a good set of upgraded passive dampers either with factory springs or slightly lower ones if you're looking for a lower ride height. Bilstein makes some great ones or the KW V1 coilovers are also a fantastic choice for a comfortable street ride with improved handling over stock.
Appreciate 0