F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > My car loves driving so much it won't let me out!
proTUNING Freaks

02-21-2013, 06:21 AM   #1
KellerKiller
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i M, EBII, mit alles

My car loves driving so much it won't let me out!

Hey all, I think this is the right area for this... Please read the book below!

So, I'm having this slight, intermittant problem with my '13 335i Msport mit comfort access. The first (and before today the only) time this happened was in mid January coming home from a weekend snowboarding in Austria. The car had been sitting out for two nights in slightly below freezing temperatures. I got in the car and left the hotel just fine, but when I stopped down the valley at a gas station (less than half an hour driving), my door wouldn't open! Even from the outside! The first pull would still get the lock pin to pop up, but the second pull didn't engage the catch like it should. I relocked the door and had my wife pull from the outside (to get the full unlock experience) and still nothing. After a few minutes of trying and looking confused, it miraculously caught for me and I was able to get out with no problems thereafter on the trip home.

(Some more background, this was the only time it had ever been parked outside overnight.)

So, yesterday I had to pull 36 hour duty (still at work now). There is no garage here, so again it stayed outside in roughly 20 degree F temps. I went to the shop to get some red bulls at about 0500, and like before, got into the car fine, but at the shop (5 min drive) my door did the same thing as in Austria. This time, I just turned the car back on for a sec and tried again, and it unlatched. However... when I got back to work and parked, it did it AGAIN, and this time it just wouldn't let go. I had to abandon ship through the passenger door!

I'm thinking all day I'm gonna have to climb back in that way and park on the other side in my garage at home, etc. I thought to check it at lunch just now after it's been sitting in the sun (although it's still 26F) and I got in, ran the car and got out just fine...

So, where the advice comes in... I'm sure this has SOMETHING to do with it sitting outside in the cold overnight. It's just wierd that it is so inconsistent though, and it never happens after sitting in my unheated garage! I KNOW that when I take it to the dealer, they won't be able to replicate the problem. Should I just demand they replace the whole mechanism in the door? All doors? I haven't had the problem with the others, but that's mainly because I never use them and the problem only occurs after the rare occasion I don't garage the car and get in when it's still frozen.

Thanks for any help you all can give!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

If you can mange to replicate it on your own in the cold outside, take a video of it on your phone/camera (make sure it's obvious that it's your car). Take that to the dealership, and demand they fix/replace the lock mechanism. I'd try to replicate it on all doors first to see if it's persistent or just the driver's.
Appreciate 0