F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F10 520d to F30 330d xdrive?
proTUNING Freaks

02-16-2013, 07:04 AM   #1
ipso_facto
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d M Sport (Sports Auto)

F10 520d to F30 330d xdrive?

Hi -

I am happily driving my F10 520d M Sport since November 2010. I can opt to buy in November this year, or go for another car through my employer's car purchase scheme. I have a good option price to buy the F10 - I think in November, the purchase price for me will be around £2,000 less than it is actually worth.

I have experienced periods during the snow this winter in the UK, where I have not been able to get out for a week. I simply don't want to risk taking a large RWD car out and getting stuck somewhere, or having an accident. It has not affected me greatly, as I can work from home without any major problems - but I have been lucky with collecting my kids from my ex-wife's house - the snow had melted in time.

I was considering changing to an X3 a month or two back, but in reality, I don't think we have enough snow in the UK to justify my going for an X3.

So I was considering a 330D xdrive - on the basis;

- It's 4 wheel drive, so will be acceptable for driving in light snow

- The economy looks incredible for a 6 cylinder car - superior to my 4 cylinder 520D in fact - I do around 18k miles per year, so this is an important factor. I am currently at overall 47mpg (40k miles in)

- Nice to have some extra power - my 520d meets 80-90% of my every day needs with regards power - but looking at the 330d figures, it does not look to be wanting for anyone's needs, excepting of course, a minor subset of car fanatics - and I assume they have 2nd cars to meet their needs

Anyway : interested to know here your opinions as F30/F32 owners;

[i] is the xdrive likely to be suitable for light snow use (maybe I'm deluding myself - and will need winter tyres) ?

[ii] build quality, going from 5 to 3 - the F10 build is very good - what is your experience of the F30/F32 build quality, interior, plastics etc?

[iii] has anyone gone from F10/F11 to F30/F32? Keen to hear your thoughts.

[iv] Anyone driving an F30/F32 xdrive 330d? Keen to hear your experiences.

Thanks for your time ....
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 07:20 AM   #2
Elk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipso_facto View Post
[i] is the xdrive likely to be suitable for light snow use (maybe I'm deluding myself - and will need winter tyres) ?
AWD assists only in getting the car moving. You are still at the mercy of your tires with respect to cornering and stopping, regardless of driveline configuration.

Some feel AWD with even summer tires is fine for snow, although they admit stopping can be challenge.

RWD with all seasons is a viable option. One compromises both summer performance and winter capability this way, but you will be able to get around.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 09:36 AM   #3
bnekic
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive Sport Line

^ doesn't xDrive send power and torque where it senses it needs it more when slipping is detected while moving?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 04:38 AM   #4
ipso_facto
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the replies.

Has anyone gone from F10/F11 to F30/F32? I'd be really keen to hear your thoughts.

Cheers ...
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 05:23 AM   #5
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8 V8 '14

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

Has anyone gone from F10/F11 to F30/F32? I'd be really keen to hear your thoughts.

Cheers ...
Got both my mrs thinks the f10 seats are more comfortable no doubts there. In terms of luxury feels about the same to me. I also prefer the wider arm rest on the 5..We do love the comfy drive on our five but drive wise I prefer the three.

I strongly believe if I did go with adaptive suspensions on the 5 with m performance body kit that would make me happier
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #6
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

I changed from a F11 530D SE to the F31 330D M Sport. I much prefer the 3 series, it's the right size for me, the 5 was a bit too big. Mine was also poorly spec'd so I'm happier with the 3 lots more kit.

It's a shame there are a few neat features from the F11 missing though.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 05:39 AM   #7
ipso_facto
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
I changed from a F11 530D SE to the F31 330D M Sport. I much prefer the 3 series, it's the right size for me, the 5 was a bit too big. Mine was also poorly spec'd so I'm happier with the 3 lots more kit.

It's a shame there are a few neat features from the F11 missing though.
Thanks Richard. Had a look at your pictures ... F31 looks great. You sure put the time and effort to keep the car looking good.

If you don't mind me asking;

- what features do you miss from your F11?
- what mileage are you getting out of the 330D?

Thanks again ...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 03:48 PM   #8
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Why is this whole thread in italics?

Anyway, F30 x-drive, or any x-drive, is very capable in far more than light snow, with the proper tires.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 04:49 PM   #9
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Richard. Had a look at your pictures ... F31 looks great. You sure put the time and effort to keep the car looking good.

If you don't mind me asking;

- what features do you miss from your F11?
- what mileage are you getting out of the 330D?

Thanks again ...
The automatically rising load cover is the main thing. The F31 brouchure states it has one too but it doesn't. I also miss the electronic hand brake and auto hold.

Smaller things are the speed limiter function, somewhere to hold the key, the tiny centre console in the F31.

I'm getting 41mpg overall. It's probably about 3-4mpg better than the F11 as I drive it pretty hard.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 04:39 AM   #10
ipso_facto
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Why is this whole thread in italics?

Anyway, F30 x-drive, or any x-drive, is very capable in far more than light snow, with the proper tires.
Thanks for this - what sort of conditions have you driven your xdrive 3'er in?

Re. the italics : I don't know the answer to this - I have typed this in a normal non-italic font and I also see it in a normal non-italic font. May be check your browser's character / character encoding settings ... this may influence the viewing of the characters. I use Firefox and Chrome with standard settings ... have not setup anything special - cheers.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 04:48 AM   #11
ipso_facto
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
The automatically rising load cover is the main thing. The F31 brouchure states it has one too but it doesn't. I also miss the electronic hand brake and auto hold.

Smaller things are the speed limiter function, somewhere to hold the key, the tiny centre console in the F31.

I'm getting 41mpg overall. It's probably about 3-4mpg better than the F11 as I drive it pretty hard.
Cheers for that - I thought that you might mention the electronic hand brake. I have had this in my F10 and prior in my B8 Audi A4 (2008). I am really surprised that this is not a standard feature on the 3 now - it can't be long now, before it is introduced as standard - I would hope. That said : it's not a major need for me - more a nice to have.

Regarding the auto hold - this I think I would find annoying to lose - this is a great feature. I use this often where you need to get a quick off, at a fast roundabout or exit from a T junction. It is also really useful for stop-start traffic.

I think I'll arrange for a weekender test drive in late March or April - the only way that I will really get an idea.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #12
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Regarding the auto hold - this I think I would find annoying to lose - this is a great feature. I use this often where you need to get a quick off, at a fast roundabout or exit from a T junction. It is also really useful for stop-start traffic.
It's the auto hold I miss rather than the electronic hand brake. My last few cars had it, the system on the Mercedes was really good, better than the F11 anyway.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #13
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

I do confirm, the 520d is an epic car, eclipsing all I've driven before as a total package. But I would switch for the 330xd within a nanosecond! The 330d is massively superior in engine experience, it is only marginally lagging in haptical quality, of course it feels a bit "tighter". But it's more nimble and feels more intens as a drivers car.

The 330xd would be my choice any day! As a matter of fact, I don't believe there is a better all round drivers car in the world today...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 04:49 AM   #14
ipso_facto
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
I do confirm, the 520d is an epic car, eclipsing all I've driven before as a total package. But I would switch for the 330xd within a nanosecond! The 330d is massively superior in engine experience, it is only marginally lagging in haptical quality, of course it feels a bit "tighter". But it's more nimble and feels more intens as a drivers car.

The 330xd would be my choice any day! As a matter of fact, I don't believe there is a better all round drivers car in the world today...
Thanks for this. I like your observation about haptic quality - I'll bear this in mind when I sit in the F30.

Weather is so cold here at the moment in the UK - I am going to wait until Spring before I arrange for a weekend test drive.

Any more comments and thoughts on the move from F10-F11 to F30-F31 very welcome ...

Cheers ...
Appreciate 0