F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > New car - A5 Sportsback
GetBMWParts

04-19-2018, 04:49 AM   #1
AndyMD
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Golf R 2020

New car - A5 Sportsback

I won’t bore you with pictures as it’s a 2.0 petrol S line auto and in black. Previous car was an A4 and before that a 320 GT (yes I was the one that liked them!)

It was delivered from Contract Cars two weeks ago, pleasant hand over the delivery guy knew what he was talking about and run through the car’s features that weren’t on the A4 and he was gone within 45 minutes.

Although I believe the A4 and A5 share a platform, the A5’s exterior is much more aggressive looking. Deeper creases in the bonnet, side skirts, twin pipes either side of an extended diffuser and a wide open front grill adds to the overall stance of the car.

Interior is just class. Build quality, design and functionality are all perfectly designed and you feel connected to the car. However the real feature is the Virtual Cockpit. Along with the dash mounted screen, it’s so customisable. Plus the google earth satellite that can be displayed between the dials, while another image can be on the screen is just really functional. The steering wheel button are easy to navigate, as are the air con controls. The new A Class Merc infotainment may just ellipse it, if it’s as good as the carwow video shows, but it is a country mile ahead of the current 3/4 series interior.

I chose the half leather, half alcantra seats which are electric on both sides of the cabin, heated and comfy.

This is the first auto that I had driven since a new 3 series E30 in the late 1980’s! and my god things have moved on. The DSG gearbox is an absolute dream. Gently press the loud pedal and within a few seconds you’re doing 70mph in 7th gear and I didn’t feel a change. OK when you press a little harder you can feel a little, but for ‘normal’ driving with other cars on the road, it’s almost a magic trick. After this weekend I should be able to make more use of the Sports mode and the flappy paddles which I’m looking forward too.

The negatives are all down to me really. I forget to spec the larger no cost fuel tank, so it only holds about £50 of petrol and I didn’t delete the sports suspension. However I don’t mind it as much as the misses does on the current state of the UK roads round our way.

Overall very happy with the looks and the drive. Only 2 weeks in so not counting too many chickens, but it’s a step up from the A4 and a leap from the GT.

The deal if interested was 6 months down, 10k per year and £300 a month including VAT through Contract Cars. And the full spec is A5 Sportsback, 2.0 petrol 190, basic paint (currently living across the road from a building site and the car is covered in dust as soon as it’s clean) Auto, Tech Pack, Interior lighting pack, flat bottom steering wheel and folding mirrors.

Currently learnt a lesson
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 05:00 AM   #2
Andrewthefirst
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M140i

Congrats on the new car

Now get the pics up for the boys. Bet the interior is sweeeeet.

And before Lobb says it you can F*ck off to the Audi forum now and enjoy the tumble weed (just kidding)
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 05:03 AM   #3
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMD View Post
I won’t bore you with pictures as it’s a 2.0 petrol S line auto and in black. Previous car was an A4 and before that a 320 GT (yes I was the one that liked them!)

It was delivered from Contract Cars two weeks ago, pleasant hand over the delivery guy knew what he was talking about and run through the car’s features that weren’t on the A4 and he was gone within 45 minutes.

Although I believe the A4 and A5 share a platform, the A5’s exterior is much more aggressive looking. Deeper creases in the bonnet, side skirts, twin pipes either side of an extended diffuser and a wide open front grill adds to the overall stance of the car.

Interior is just class. Build quality, design and functionality are all perfectly designed and you feel connected to the car. However the real feature is the Virtual Cockpit. Along with the dash mounted screen, it’s so customisable. Plus the google earth satellite that can be displayed between the dials, while another image can be on the screen is just really functional. The steering wheel button are easy to navigate, as are the air con controls. The new A Class Merc infotainment may just ellipse it, if it’s as good as the carwow video shows, but it is a country mile ahead of the current 3/4 series interior.

I chose the half leather, half alcantra seats which are electric on both sides of the cabin, heated and comfy.

This is the first auto that I had driven since a new 3 series E30 in the late 1980’s! and my god things have moved on. The DSG gearbox is an absolute dream. Gently press the loud pedal and within a few seconds you’re doing 70mph in 7th gear and I didn’t feel a change. OK when you press a little harder you can feel a little, but for ‘normal’ driving with other cars on the road, it’s almost a magic trick. After this weekend I should be able to make more use of the Sports mode and the flappy paddles which I’m looking forward too.

The negatives are all down to me really. I forget to spec the larger no cost fuel tank, so it only holds about £50 of petrol and I didn’t delete the sports suspension. However I don’t mind it as much as the misses does on the current state of the UK roads round our way.

Overall very happy with the looks and the drive. Only 2 weeks in so not counting too many chickens, but it’s a step up from the A4 and a leap from the GT.

The deal if interested was 6 months down, 10k per year and £300 a month including VAT through Contract Cars. And the full spec is A5 Sportsback, 2.0 petrol 190, basic paint (currently living across the road from a building site and the car is covered in dust as soon as it’s clean) Auto, Tech Pack, Interior lighting pack, flat bottom steering wheel and folding mirrors.
Have to say I think Audi have got the interior spot on with the VC and layout, and the A5 spottback is the best looking car they do currently.

Congrats on new car and pics always good.

You can stay here - soon be more Audi and VW drivers than BMW....

Appreciate 1
Edinburra546.50
      04-19-2018, 04:07 PM   #4
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

Nice review and congrats! I know where you are coming from I am 1/2 way through a 24 month lease on a S5 sportback love it!
Appreciate 1
Edinburra546.50
      04-20-2018, 01:49 AM   #5
AndyEssex330d
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d M Sport +

04-20-2018, 02:12 AM   #6
AndyMD
Lieutenant
Rep

Here we go. it's only a few

The third image with the small dials you can put the whole sat nav google earth to fill the whole dash too. Plus when the sat nav is running with the bigger dials, the instructions ans direction are shown in the middle of the speedo dial. It's clever!

Appreciate 4
LobB5109.00
BrettKA7566.50
Edinburra546.50
      04-20-2018, 03:22 AM   #7
BMdriver
Bus Media, Xenons, Spt Auto, Sun Pro Black Panel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 420i M Sport Coupe (Pro pack)

Quote:

Thanks for the write up. I am seriously thinking of purchasing exactly the same car myself.

What is the current urban and motorway mpg please? Also how many years is the lease over?

I really fancied another diesel, but I am worried because I usually buy outright and keep my cars for approx 6 years I would be left with a car that would be virtually worthless in 6 years time.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 06:09 AM   #8
AndyMD
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMdriver View Post
Thanks for the write up. I am seriously thinking of purchasing exactly the same car myself.

What is the current urban and motorway mpg please? Also how many years is the lease over?

I really fancied another diesel, but I am worried because I usually buy outright and keep my cars for approx 6 years I would be left with a car that would be virtually worthless in 6 years time.
Hard to tell mpg at the moment being so new. First couple of runs were 140 mile round trips with 60% motoway and 40% 30mph zones and it returned 40mpg. Commute runs 10 miles with 6 miles of 70mph duel carriage ways and the rest stop start city centre is returning 30 - 32

I always lease for 2 years - that way I never buy tires, brakes shocks etc. and only service the car once at the most. My last car I gave back had 10 days until the next service and the Audi said don't bother about a service.

The diesel v petrol debate is hard to tell. 6 years ago we were all being told to buy diesel and in theory a modern diesel that uses ad blue (which Audi's do) is cleaner, but if public opinion keeps up the way it is, I wouldn't like to be trying to sell one in a few years, however lease prices are still a bargain in places and you don't have to sell the car.

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 07:27 AM   #9
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Looks great and a lovely interior.

What size are the wheels, 18"?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 08:30 AM   #10
BMdriver
Bus Media, Xenons, Spt Auto, Sun Pro Black Panel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 420i M Sport Coupe (Pro pack)

Quote:
Hard to tell mpg at the moment being so new. First couple of runs were 140 mile round trips with 60% motoway and 40% 30mph zones and it returned 40mpg. Commute runs 10 miles with 6 miles of 70mph duel carriage ways and the rest stop start city centre is returning 30 - 32

I always lease for 2 years - that way I never buy tires, brakes shocks etc. and only service the car once at the most. My last car I gave back had 10 days until the next service and the Audi said don't bother about a service.

The diesel v petrol debate is hard to tell. 6 years ago we were all being told to buy diesel and in theory a modern diesel that uses ad blue (which Audi's do) is cleaner, but if public opinion keeps up the way it is, I wouldn't like to be trying to sell one in a few years, however lease prices are still a bargain in places and you don't have to sell the car.
Thank you for the information. I would be interested to hear how the mpg goes once the car is run in further.

Beautiful motor. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 08:41 AM   #11
AndyMD
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
Looks great and a lovely interior.

What size are the wheels, 18"?
I believe so

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 09:21 AM   #12
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

It does look good. I do think the A5 /S5 / RS5 is Audi's best looking design.

Apparently BMW's equivalent engine, the 20i, doesn't meet some emissions test, so according to my dealer those people who are thinking of switching from a 20d to a 20i are facing a big delay. So I imagine there will be a few moving to Audi.
Appreciate 0