F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > will basic dealer service visits wipe away coding?
ARMA SPEED

02-01-2015, 09:37 AM   #1
ryanSTL
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 435GC rwd

will basic dealer service visits wipe away coding?

i'm almost done downloading the software and reference guides and have been doing quite a bit of forum research. I'm very impressed with the technical knowledge and willingness to help by the experts on this forum. I plan to start playing around with coding in the next few days.

Easy question..

Does a typical dealer service visit tend to remove all the coding edits? I'm going in for my first service in a couple of weeks.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 10:56 AM   #2
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
No, most dealerships don't just update software for the hell of it. The only thing that wipes it is if they do a software update.
      02-01-2015, 12:14 PM   #3
ryanSTL
First Lieutenant
Rep

thanks. i assumed so, but wasn't sure as this is my first bmw and first coding adventure.

just spent 30 minutes in the garage and i managed to successfully code a few things into my gran coupe (thanks to this forum)

- key fob mirror fold functionality
- gran coupe hatch shut with key fob (yes! so basic)
- backup cam warning delete
- calmed (cut) down the seatbelt chime
- i tried to change the splash screen to /M Performance and remove the iDrive confirm screen. What seems to have happened is that I have no splash screen and no iDrive confirm screen anymore. not bad, but I'm still going to play with getting the /M Perf splash.

I'm going to research and then play with Angel Eye brightness and tail light DRLs next.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 06:21 PM   #4
tboooe
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F36 428i GC, E36 M3 - gone :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanSTL View Post
- i tried to change the splash screen to /M Performance and remove the iDrive confirm screen. What seems to have happened is that I have no splash screen and no iDrive confirm screen anymore. not bad, but I'm still going to play with getting the /M Perf splash.

I'm going to research and then play with Angel Eye brightness and tail light DRLs next.
This happened to me too. The splash screen does not always appear. I can't figure out what makes it come on. Do you have the M Performance logo on the dash?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 08:10 PM   #5
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
What seems to have happened is that I have no splash screen and no iDrive confirm screen anymore. not bad, but I'm still going to play with getting the /M Perf splash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboooe View Post
This happened to me too. The splash screen does not always appear. I can't figure out what makes it come on. Do you have the M Performance logo on the dash?

No need to worry you too, you are not actually removing the splash screen. It doesn't always appear. As soon as you unlock the car it starts spooling it up in the background, so depending on how fast you get in after unlocking it might or might not show. Try it tomorrow morning. Unlock and get in immediately after and turn on the car and you should see it. Or unlock and wait 15 seconds and you should see it come right onto the navigation with no splash screen.
      02-02-2015, 03:07 PM   #6
ryanSTL
First Lieutenant
Rep

SUCCESS!!

Starting my car for work this morning, I was greeted by an ///M Performance logo in the dash behind the steering wheel.

Then, as the car powered up, I got a nav display full animation of the ///M logo sliding across the screen.

I'll share some pics if anyone wants 'em.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 03:12 PM   #7
tboooe
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F36 428i GC, E36 M3 - gone :(

Quote:
SUCCESS!!

Starting my car for work this morning, I was greeted by an ///M Performance logo in the dash behind the steering wheel.

Then, as the car powered up, I got a nav display full animation of the ///M logo sliding across the screen.

I'll share some pics if anyone wants 'em.
GREAT! I still dont get the splash screen all the time. I think its because I dont always lock doors. I see it enough to know its working but most of the time my screen just starts up wherever I had it last with no start up splash screen.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 07:16 PM   #8
ryanSTL
First Lieutenant
Rep

yeah, it's weird. I got the full splash screen this morning, but neither of the other two times I drove the car later today.

I guess I never paid that close attention to it before.

At least all my stupid warnings are gone and now when I get the splash screen it's cool.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 09:41 PM   #9
ryanSTL
First Lieutenant
Rep

seems like the coding has settled in with the splash screen. I got it every time I drove the car today, which was like 5 times. strange when the car chooses to run the animation and other times it gets skipped.

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 09:47 PM   #10
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
seems like the coding has settled in with the splash screen. I got it every time I drove the car today, which was like 5 times. strange when the car chooses to run the animation and other times it gets skipped.

lol I already explained when and why it happens sometimes but not others.

Coding does not "settle". Once it is done it is done. It all depends on how quickly the thing boots up from unlock which also varies based on when you were in the car last.