F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > ConnectedDrive servers down for unknown amount of time.
GetBMWParts

02-14-2016, 09:04 AM   #1
msp0rt
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

ConnectedDrive servers down for unknown amount of time.

Just tried to use BMW remote app to lock my doors, blink lights, etc. App connects to server but the server can't seem to communicate with my car. Called the BMW "genius bar," lol, and the answer is that the system is experiencing an outage and it's worse than originally thought.

I was told it has been down for a week and there's no timeline for when it will be operational again.

BMW assist (sos button) seems to work just fine so the car can send information, it just can't seem to receive. Also, connecteddrive tried to send me a message and the message never came in.

Anyone else have this issue or if BMW making stuff up. I can't seem to find much info on this outage so I'm skeptical.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 10:23 AM   #2
Driggett
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 G80 Portimao XDrive Comp

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Just tried remote lock and locate and they worked. Maybe a temporary outage.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 09:36 PM   #3
msp0rt
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Just tried again, no connection. I don't know, it seems like they aren't telling me something. I'm in southern California by the way. Can anyone else in This area confirm that it's working? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 09:50 PM   #4
mreddiekim
OCXG30
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i M sport

Garage List
2019 BMW 540i  [10.00]
Mines been out too I'm in so Cali as well
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 11:41 AM   #5
davjo68
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i Sport Sedan

BMW Remote Not Working For Me Either

None of my remote services are working either and I am in the Dallas, TX, area. I spoke with a BMW Assist rep as well as a BMW Genius this morning and both indicated this is a known issue and that it is affecting only a subset of subscribers. The Genius rep said that this is affecting all remote services including address send, locate car, flash headlights, sound horn, Google Send to Car and that they expect the issue to be resolved in a week or so. He also stated that I'd get a call from them once it was back up.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 01:47 PM   #6
msp0rt
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davjo68 View Post
None of my remote services are working either and I am in the Dallas, TX, area. I spoke with a BMW Assist rep as well as a BMW Genius this morning and both indicated this is a known issue and that it is affecting only a subset of subscribers. The Genius rep said that this is affecting all remote services including address send, locate car, flash headlights, sound horn, Google Send to Car and that they expect the issue to be resolved in a week or so. He also stated that I'd get a call from them once it was back up.
Ok, glad to hear that we are getting the same story at least. Thanks for the input.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 01:14 PM   #7
msp0rt
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Update. Called BMW again. The Genius told me that certain models, including 2013, cannot receive any data externally, so remote app, tokens, google maps, etc cannot be sent to the car. The car can transmit but not receive.

When asked how long this has been going on, they stated that they started receiving calls about it about 3 weeks ago but the outage was officially reported 1.5 weeks ago.

When asked how long, the response was, we don't know and you will be notified once it's resolved. The support cases are being closed and there is a phone number list for calls when it gets fixed.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 03:07 PM   #8
mbfanos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by msp0rt View Post
Update. Called BMW again. The Genius told me that certain models, including 2013, cannot receive any data externally, so remote app, tokens, google maps, etc cannot be sent to the car. The car can transmit but not receive.

When asked how long this has been going on, they stated that they started receiving calls about it about 3 weeks ago but the outage was officially reported 1.5 weeks ago.

When asked how long, the response was, we don't know and you will be notified once it's resolved. The support cases are being closed and there is a phone number list for calls when it gets fixed.
Maybe it's their way to say:"It's time for a new BMW, dude"
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 11:09 PM   #9
Kowboi
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, 528ix, 540ix

It's not working for me either. BMW Canada was clueless to the issue. It's sad that BMW thinks it's okay to have such shitty service.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 10:24 AM   #10
bueller
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 EB F31 2018 LG F80

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowboi View Post
It's not working for me either. BMW Canada was clueless to the issue. It's sad that BMW thinks it's okay to have such shitty service.
I called the 'BMW Genius' at my dealership when I had problems with an error on my ConnectedDrive system and was basically told that in Canada you get what is pre-installed on the car and a bunch of things that work in other markets are not available to Canadian customers.

To me it seems like a waste to go to the trouble of adding a 4G internet connection to basically provide traffic and weather information. I realize it is also supposed to update the maps, but I am not holding my breath on that actually working.

Software is hard, I realize that, adding to the complexity are the number of markets BMW serves with different features offered for each market.

I would like to see BMW be clearer on what is offered and what isn't. Online resources that explain how things actually work as it is not always self evident using the system.

If you call BMW they say to contact the dealer, thing is, I and probably most people on forums such as this have better product knowledge than anyone I have met at a dealer.

The other issue with BMW is that they have this idea that the 7 Series has to have all the best stuff and the 1 / 2 Series has to have the least functional systems. With this reasoning, instead of how, for example, Porsche does it where the PCM (Porsche Communications Manager) is basically the same across the line, BMW has to manage 5+ different versions of iDrive and ConnectedDrive. I have absolutely no interest in owning a car larger than the 3 series, it's kind of frustrating.

I guess the other side of it is my 5 year old car still works with the updated GoPro app, so their framework seems to be reasonably robust from a longevity standpoint. So I guess using stuff on your phone works fine, but I think that spending the $200 a year for the ConnectedDrive subscription seems kind of pointless.

B.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 10:57 AM   #11
peikko
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D Sport

That will be the new service "disconnected drive"
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 08:19 PM   #12
davjo68
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i Sport Sedan

Service Working Again

After reading a thread on another BMW forum from another person whose service wasn't working but just started working again tonight, I tried mine and it is also working once again. Haven't gotten a call from the Geniuses yet, however.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 10:55 PM   #13
Kowboi
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, 528ix, 540ix

Service is now working for me too.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 12:36 PM   #14
msp0rt
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowboi View Post
Service is now working for me too.
It started working but just barely. I can get some functions to work but it can take up to a few minutes for something simple like lock doors, if at all.

Oh well. Maybe it'll get better with time.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 04:07 PM   #15
chicagoshark
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by msp0rt View Post
It started working but just barely. I can get some functions to work but it can take up to a few minutes for something simple like lock doors, if at all.

Oh well. Maybe it'll get better with time.
Is this out again?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2016, 03:14 PM   #16
jeffro535
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i, 2019 X3M40

Was at the dealer this morning for another issue when I mentioned that I can't send a nav destination to the car. Both the SA and GM (long story) asked if I was running Apple or Droid, Apparently the Connected Drives issues are affecting iOS products to a greater degree than Droid. No ETA for a fix.
At least the manual entry is easier than the old CCC system in my 335
Appreciate 0