F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Please, BMW, Show Some Enlightenment
ARMA SPEED

07-18-2012, 09:11 PM   #23
ChaosBroker
Disinformant
Rep
Drives: 2013 C300-4M Sport

There might only be one guy on the planet that thinks the Panamera looks good, other than the designer, and apparently, it's me. Unique, bold, and stylish. I really dig it. The CLS could also be called a handsome car, and the new 6GC also has some interesting looks. Much of the rest of the lines by both manufacturers look pedestrian by comparison. Maybe that is also part of the point.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 09:45 PM   #24
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
I'd only take it so I could quickly trade it.
I guess you'll be taking it as soon as you find the donor.

Once it's yours, nihil obstat.

You may though choose to remain an owner; those cars look and feel awesome when you are sitting in the driver's seat. And even more so if the car is actually moving.

And, sadly but nonetheless true, there's a good chance you won't look too bad to folks that want to get with you (or that you want to get with) if you're driving it, even if they do think your taste is only in your mouth.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 09:48 PM   #25
AZ330FZL
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Manufacturers (or rather marketers?) will have you believe a "coupe" refers more to the roofline than number of doors...

Dictionary.com disagrees:

coupe[ koop ]
noun
1. a closed, two-door car shorter than a sedan of the same model.

"gran coupe" was not found lol. If it were, I suspect it would say, "marketing ploy to sell four door sedans with poor rear headroom due to sloping roofline."

That said, the M6 gran coupe looks damn good. For the most part, so does the a7 (not in love with the droopy rear). Not to mention the panamera and CLS. It's a new market and they're not only joining the party, but maybe even taking over.

+1
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 10:01 PM   #26
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosBroker View Post
There might only be one guy on the planet that thinks the Panamera looks good, other than the designer, and apparently, it's me. Unique, bold, and stylish. I really dig it.
Bold and unique, most certainly. Stylish???? Well, let me just suggest you needn't bother sending a resume to Calvin Klein.
(just given' you some kind-hearted shiit....I don't mean nothin' by it.)

Seriously, though, I do applaud your individualism and integrity. It certainly wouldn't chagrin me to drive and own one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosBroker View Post
The CLS could also be called a handsome car, and the new 6GC also has some interesting looks. Much of the rest of the lines by both manufacturers look pedestrian by comparison. Maybe that is also part of the point.
I think you are right. Looks that don't offend or polarize is exactly the point. But then nobody ever recently accused BMW and MB execs of having chutzpah or even just a pair of big ones. And if you not that long ago had Chris Bangle on your design team, would you?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 01:19 AM   #27
ChaosBroker
Disinformant
Rep
Drives: 2013 C300-4M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
....Looks that don't offend or polarize is exactly the point. But then nobody ever recently accused BMW and MB execs of having chutzpah or even just a pair of big ones. And if you not that long ago had Chris Bangle on your design team, would you?
Agreed. And my initials are C.B.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 10:54 AM   #28
rconti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5 3.5d, Clownshoe, Tesla 3

I agree, it's all pretty silly. Why don't they just *make their big cars look attractive* and obviate the need to try to explain away why they have 2 cars in the same basic market segment?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 12:19 PM   #29
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rconti View Post
I agree, it's all pretty silly. Why don't they just *make their big cars look attractive* and obviate the need to try to explain away why they have 2 cars in the same basic market segment?
Because the corporate mentality of today is no different than that of lemmings and sheep. They must do whatever the competition does, regardless of whether what the competitors are pursuing is a stupid course of action to begin with.

Why do you think it was that in 2008 nearly every huge bank went into financial difficulty? It damn sure wasn't because an exec somewhere said, "These investments are stupid and I don't care if BOA, Citibank, Morgan Stanley, AIG and the Sultan of Brunei are doing it. It's stupid and we aren't doing it."

The only thing dumber than what those institutions did was the governments bailing them out. As it is now that you and I bailed them out, it's just a matter of time before those clowns do something else that's supremely irresponsible knowing that we'll bail them out again. Children, China-men, cats, dogs whales, chimps and horses learn from their mistakes; corporations and their executives don't.

(This wouldn't piss me off so much had the men and women who caused that mess also lost their personal fortunes as the nation bailed out their companies. But that didn't come remotely close to happening.)

I have three children and a few dozen close relatives. Those are the only people I then, now, or in the future am willing to bail out of a financial catastrophe.

Appreciate 0