F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Ipod hookup
proTUNING Freaks

10-25-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
Joshhleee
///M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 F30, '15 x5 5.0, '15 M4,M5

Ipod hookup

Hey guys, I hooked up my ipod cable to the center console, and it didn't show up on the iDrive, on my x5 it shows up and I'm able to play songs but why doesnt the 328 do that? I have to use an aux cord and the sound quality is horrible.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 09:33 PM   #2
boltjames
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshhleee View Post
Hey guys, I hooked up my ipod cable to the center console, and it didn't show up on the iDrive, on my x5 it shows up and I'm able to play songs but why doesnt the 328 do that? I have to use an aux cord and the sound quality is horrible.

There is a specific option called Enhanced Bluetooth and USB that must be on the car in order for the iPod to just plug into the USB port with the white Apple cord.

If you don't have that feature, you need the Y cable to get control over the iPod.

Those of us with this additional feature can dock our iPod/iPhone's directly through USB with the white Apple cord and get on-screen album art and Bluetooth audio streaming among other niceties. I do not believe that the quality of the audio would be compromised o4 very noticeable at speed with the cabin noise. The big loss is the streaming, integration. and more attractive UI elements.

BJ

Last edited by boltjames; 10-25-2012 at 09:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 09:43 PM   #3
Joshhleee
///M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 F30, '15 x5 5.0, '15 M4,M5

Can i code my car to get that function? or did i have to get the option from factory, because I love streaming my music through bluetooth. & the y cable if I remember correctly is like 200 bucks?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 11:38 PM   #4
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

The streaming capability and other niceness requires hardware (an enhanced combox) that comes with BMW Assist.

I believe there are retrofits available, try bimmertech.

If you car does not have the enhanced BT; then it should have come with a Y-cable in the glove box. If not, you should ask your dealer for one.

You can also get Y-cables on Amazon for about 20 bucks.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #5
lokito
Registered
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 335i ///M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post
There is a specific option called Enhanced Bluetooth and USB that must be on the car in order for the iPod to just plug into the USB port with the white Apple cord.

If you don't have that feature, you need the Y cable to get control over the iPod.

Those of us with this additional feature can dock our iPod/iPhone's directly through USB with the white Apple cord and get on-screen album art and Bluetooth audio streaming among other niceties. I do not believe that the quality of the audio would be compromised o4 very noticeable at speed with the cabin noise. The big loss is the streaming, integration. and more attractive UI elements.

BJ

I'm actually on the same boat. Just ordered a 335i, with no Nav or Tech package, and this will be my first BMW and I'm not familiar with previous models. So with the Y cable you can actually control the ipod and your music playlists, etc. will be displayed on the iDrive screen correct? The only downside is that the sound will be through the audio jack, right? Unless Enhanced Bt/USB is a separate option, i just don't feel like spending another $600 to scroll through my iPod music, if it is only available with the BMW Assist.
      11-12-2012, 10:22 PM   #6
boltjames
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokito View Post
I'm actually on the same boat. Just ordered a 335i, with no Nav or Tech package, and this will be my first BMW and I'm not familiar with previous models. So with the Y cable you can actually control the ipod and your music playlists, etc. will be displayed on the iDrive screen correct? The only downside is that the sound will be through the audio jack, right? Unless Enhanced Bt/USB is a separate option, i just don't feel like spending another $600 to scroll through my iPod music, if it is only available with the BMW Assist.
That is correct.

You can navigate through and control the iPod but you wind up with analog audio (headphone jack, not USB) and you lose album art (sorry) and you can't stream Bluetooth audio (must be plugged into Y cable).

The option is available without being bundled in with the Nav or Tech package. It's called BMW Assist With Enhanced Bluetooth and USB. If you're an iPod/iPhone freak like I am, you want this option, call your dealer and add it.

BJ
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 01:33 PM   #7
lokito
Registered
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 335i ///M Sport

Quote:
That is correct.

You can navigate through and control the iPod but you wind up with analog audio (headphone jack, not USB) and you lose album art (sorry) and you can't stream Bluetooth audio (must be plugged into Y cable).

The option is available without being bundled in with the Nav or Tech package. It's called BMW Assist With Enhanced Bluetooth and USB. If you're an iPod/iPhone freak like I am, you want this option, call your dealer and add it.

BJ
Well, after doing some more research on the BMW Assists, I've been sold to it. Not a bad service option for the cost, especially for emergencies. But having the upgraded USB capabilities for iPod integration without having to pay $2K for the Nav system will make me a little happier. I can't take it anymore having to use the AUX audio jack in my current vechicle. The only concern is that apparently you have 60 days to enroll in the service and I'm currently in Germany, which I believe they don't offer that service out here. I'll see what deal I can do with the dealer.
      11-14-2012, 01:57 PM   #8
ilhan1103
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f30 318 2012

Garage List
2012 318D  [0.00]
Quote:
That is correct.

BJ
Are you saying that we have analog audio from the jack only with the y cable??
damn, then i don't want the stupid cable anymore
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 03:50 PM   #9
bremborio
Rep
Drives: F36 430d GC + BMW 2002 Tii

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokito
[
Just change to 328i, amazing performance. With what you save get some functional gadgets!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 04:30 PM   #10
boltjames
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilhan1103 View Post
Are you saying that we have analog audio from the jack only with the y cable??
damn, then i don't want the stupid cable anymore
If you have the Enhanced Bluetooth & USB feature on your car, you merely plug the white Apple cable into the USB port and that supplies a digital audio feed to the iDrive system. You get complete control over for the iPhone in this manner, including fast menu access and album art

If you do not have that feature, you must use the BMW "Y" cable which feeds the audio from the iPhone into iDrive using the headphone input jack. This supplies an analog signal. You can still control the iPod with this feature, such as skip forward backward, and navigating through playlists. You don't get album art.

As for the quality of the audio, I've experienced both of these input methods and really can't tell the difference. The important thing here is that you need a Y cable with one option, and you get streaming and album art with the other option. Spend your money on whichever option makes you happy.

BJ
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 05:33 PM   #11
ilhan1103
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f30 318 2012

Garage List
2012 318D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames
If you have the Enhanced Bluetooth & USB feature on your car, you merely plug the white Apple cable into the USB port and that supplies a digital audio feed to the iDrive system. You get complete control over for the iPhone in this manner, including fast menu access and album art

If you do not have that feature, you must use the BMW "Y" cable which feeds the audio from the iPhone into iDrive using the headphone input jack. This supplies an analog signal. You can still control the iPod with this feature, such as skip forward backward, and navigating through playlists. You don't get album art.

As for the quality of the audio, I've experienced both of these input methods and really can't tell the difference. The important thing here is that you need a Y cable with one option, and you get streaming and album art with the other option. Spend your money on whichever option makes you happy.

BJ
The option which would make me happy is too expensive. Besides its too late I already got the car.

Thanks for that explanation though, in my e90 the ipod over aux didn't sound as good as the same mp3s burnt on cd. So when you said analog I figured it'd be like that again. I don't care for the album art really I just want a decent sound (yes I got the stock speakers and I still bitch about sound quality )
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 03:14 PM   #12
bmwretrofit
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshhleee View Post
Can i code my car to get that function? or did i have to get the option from factory, because I love streaming my music through bluetooth. & the y cable if I remember correctly is like 200 bucks?
To get Bluetooth Audio you'll need coding and additional hardware (Combox).

Thanks,

Kate.

Last edited by bmwretrofit; 12-03-2012 at 03:46 PM..
Appreciate 0