F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > F30 335i M Performance Power Kit?
proTUNING Freaks

12-18-2012, 09:19 AM   #23
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post
If you purchased the car with the intention of keeping it for 5-7 years as I have, then the factory warranty is an important consideration.

So if the M Performance kit is priced around $1500, I for one will likely order it, given that it does not alter the factory warranty nor does it apparently affect fuel consumption.
Totally agree. Once I see what the actual gains (hopefully someone will do some dyno testing before and after, and maybe even a magazine will toss in some acceleration tests, but that's being overly optimistic) I'll probably pull the trigger one it myself. I'd like a bit more power without voiding the warranty since I plan on keeping my car around 5 years or so.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 09:50 AM   #24
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
Totally agree. Once I see what the actual gains (hopefully someone will do some dyno testing before and after, and maybe even a magazine will toss in some acceleration tests, but that's being overly optimistic) I'll probably pull the trigger one it myself. I'd like a bit more power without voiding the warranty since I plan on keeping my car around 5 years or so.
I'll be doing a before next week with my 335i with below mods.

I already spoke to my parts person at my dealership to start sorting out part #'s with germany so I can purchase in Q1 '13.

With a 6 year/100k warranty, I'll be keeping it under warranty for as long as possible given all the little hiccups I've experienced in owning this car for 5k miles

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 11:33 AM   #25
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

SO just got an email from my SA, the parts department says PPK is ONLY available for M Sport lines, and they are still "working out kinks" with the kit, here's what they wrote:"Performance Power Kit that I see says 335i models with M Sports Package. When reviewing options I don't see M sports Package on such said vehicle options." (ie My no-line car).

Sigh...

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 03:24 PM   #26
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath
SO just got an email from my SA, the parts department says PPK is ONLY available for M Sport lines, and they are still "working out kinks" with the kit, here's what they wrote:"Performance Power Kit that I see says 335i models with M Sports Package. When reviewing options I don't see M sports Package on such said vehicle options." (ie My no-line car).

Sigh...
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #27
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tojo_m View Post
they are def wrong, i'm going in person soon...

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #28
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post

Sigh...
That sounds like he doesn't know what he's talking about, but that should be expected as enthusiasts know more about the cars than the people selling them which is really sad.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 11:50 PM   #29
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MPPK

Quote:
they are def wrong, i'm going in person soon...
I can't imagine it'd only be for M-sport lines, there would be enough of them to make any money off the PPK then!!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 02:54 AM   #30
rocko911
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 335i Sports line

Quote:

Sigh...
Im sure thats definitely a mistake from your SA, most of them dont even know or have any clue regarding the performance power kit information yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 03:50 AM   #31
Diagnosic
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW 335 i (E90)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko911 View Post
Im sure thats definitely a mistake from your SA, most of them dont even know or have any clue regarding the performance power kit information yet.
Agree! In Switzerland the performance power kit for the F30 is already available and costs approx. CHF 2'000.

My new 335i xDrive will be delivered next Friday (in exchange with my 550i xDrive) and the PPK is on the target list for my 335.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 10:53 AM   #32
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

So just got off the phone again, I guess BMW Germany is sending bulletins to BMWNA updating on the status of it, and availability.

What they are saying is that it requires a "new ecu" which already comes with the M Sport line, and I believe, once it's all sorted out, it'll be available for all lines...so we sit and we wait.

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 11:16 AM   #33
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So just got off the phone again, I guess BMW Germany is sending bulletins to BMWNA updating on the status of it, and availability.

What they are saying is that it requires a "new ecu" which already comes with the M Sport line, and I believe, once it's all sorted out, it'll be available for all lines...so we sit and we wait.
Pretty sure that was listed in the announcement months ago when we first heard about it. Before X date built cars, they'd include a new ECU. Not sure what that's all about though. Why do the newer cars have a different ECU for the same engine putting out the same power with the same features, is anyone's guess.

Maybe it's some conspiracy that the MY2013 cars with the new ECU have less power and they want the 2012s to get the new ECU so the ppk actually increases power! /end crazy conspiracy talk
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 12:12 PM   #34
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Pretty sure that was listed in the announcement months ago when we first heard about it. Before X date built cars, they'd include a new ECU. Not sure what that's all about though. Why do the newer cars have a different ECU for the same engine putting out the same power with the same features, is anyone's guess.

Maybe it's some conspiracy that the MY2013 cars with the new ECU have less power and they want the 2012s to get the new ECU so the ppk actually increases power! /end crazy conspiracy talk
All I know is that I REFUSE to pay for an "extra" or "different" ecu...yes, totally understand a tune and some additional cooling elements make sense, but another Ecu, that's $$$$$

Such a PITA.

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #35
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
All I know is that I REFUSE to pay for an "extra" or "different" ecu...yes, totally understand a tune and some additional cooling elements make sense, but another Ecu, that's $$$$$

Such a PITA.
I think it will be part of the ppk and no additional cost (at least that was my impression from the first release).
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #36
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Porsche 981 Cayman GTS

Quote:

Such a PITA.
It has been spelled out pretty clearly on BMW.com since September that the PPK includes a new ECU for vehicles built prior to November 2012:
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=750360

I am pretty certain the new ECU for pre-11/12 vehicles is not an additional purchase on top of the PPK as the installation instructions (someone posted a week or two ago) include the ECU on the "Parts list for retrofit kit." See attached PDF, page 4.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf F30 Power Kit Instructions.pdf (484.0 KB, 1236 views)
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 08:45 PM   #37
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

What wasn't clear was that it was associated with a line of the car, not the necessarily the MY.

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 09:37 AM   #38
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What wasn't clear was that it was associated with a line of the car, not the necessarily the MY.
Probably because it isn't restricted by lines.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #39
Charlie_Hustle
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' 340i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeb817 View Post
It has been spelled out pretty clearly on BMW.com since September that the PPK includes a new ECU for vehicles built prior to November 2012:
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=750360

I am pretty certain the new ECU for pre-11/12 vehicles is not an additional purchase on top of the PPK as the installation instructions (someone posted a week or two ago) include the ECU on the "Parts list for retrofit kit." See attached PDF, page 4.
Do we know what the difference is between the two separate part numbers are? The one with FSC and the one without?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 01:12 PM   #40
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Hustle View Post
Do we know what the difference is between the two separate part numbers are? The one with FSC and the one without?
Not sure honestly, it describes "FSC" as the activation code though. I wonder if there would be a reason to buy the kit without it.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #41
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Porsche 981 Cayman GTS

Quote:
Not sure honestly, it describes "FSC" as the activation code though. I wonder if there would be a reason to buy the kit without it.
Take a quick look at this new price list that was just released (below). Take a look at the part numbers on this list and on the instruction manual. As I understand it, if you have a PRE Nov-12 build, the PPK will come with a new ECU that will already have the new "M Performance" specs enabled to swap out with the original. If you have a POST Nov-12 build, you will already have the new ECU in the car from the factory, but it is running the "stock" specs and the new "M Performance" specs are not active...so the kit for those owners must include the FSC code to unlock/enable the new specs in the ECU...this leads me to believe that if you have a PRE Nov-12 car, the PPK is going to cost more...and clearly the labor will be more. And, BTW, looks like we have to wait until March now.

Last edited by AWF30MSPORT; 12-21-2012 at 12:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 12:26 PM   #42
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeb817 View Post
Take a quick look at this new price list that was just released (below). Take a look at the part numbers on this list and on the instruction manual. As I understand it, if you have a pre Nov-12 build, the PPK will come with a new ECU that will already have the new "M Performance" specs enabled. If you have a POST Nov-12 build, you have the new ECU already in the car from the factory, but it is running the "stock" specs and the new "M Performance" specs are not active and so the kit must include the FSC code to unlock/enable the new specs in the ECU...this leads me to believe that if you have a pre Nov-12 car, the PPK is going to cost more. And, BTW, looks like we have to wait until March now.

That sounds logical. My initial thought was that the 'unlock code' was for the programming update, not for the ECU itself.

I also see that there is no price listed in the new update, while there was a price in October or whenever. Additionally, it says something about Msport in the new info but the old one doesn't make mention any limitation. The information seems to just be confusing and or contradictory, not to mention the date keeps moving back. Wasn't it November? Then January? Now is it March? Most of the new information posted seems to be geared toward new cars not delivered, maybe that is accounting for some of the difference?

Lots of questions, I'd just like to know some specifics instead of the ambiguity for those of us who already have our cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 12:27 PM   #43
blatantlies
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Only available for M sport models? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 06:43 PM   #44
dcg71
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Can't imagine why it would be M sport only. Is it possible its just because the M sport aero allows for better cooling? I don't think the M sport has an upgraded oil cooler does it?
2000 E46 318i Cosmos Black
Appreciate 0