F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2012 Detroit NAIAS: BMW F30 3 Series Makes North American Debut (Base, Sport, Luxury)
proTUNING Freaks

01-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Cool 2012 Detroit NAIAS: BMW F30 3 Series Makes North American Debut (Base, Sport, Luxury)

BIMMERPOST NEWS
2012 Detroit NAIAS: BMW F30 3 Series Makes North American Debut
COMMENTS

We're here live at the 2012 Detroit Auto Show (NAIAS) where the star of the BMW display this year, the 2012 BMW 3 Series Sedan (F30), has just made its North American debut.

On display so far is a base model (no lines) F30 328i in glacier silver, a 335i luxury line, and a 328i sport line. We're told that the M Sport will be hitting the floor a bit later so we'll try to snag some photos when it makes its appearance.

The F30's official launch to market comes in just over a month - on February 11th. While the full F30 online configurator with pricing hasn't yet launched, we're told that it should be up by next week.

For now, we have plenty of resources for you to configure your own F30:

- F30 Official Info Thread
- Guide to F30 "Lines"
- Guide to M Sport Package
- F30 FAQ
- F30 Pricing Guide
- F30 Ordering Guide

We'll also be speaking with BMW reps about particular F30 topics, so stay tuned for more info on the F30. Also stay tuned for more coverage of other BMW models at the 2012 Detroit Auto Show.

F30 Base

F30 Sport Line

F30 Luxury Line

PRESS RELEASE + Expand

BMW Group Press Conference North American International Auto Show 2012

Mr. Ludwig Willisch
Welcome to the BMW Group here in Detroit! For us, a focus on sustainability is part of premium mobility. A perfect example of our long-term approach is this car right here: the BMW i8 Concept. It highlights the BMW Group’s commitment to progressive design, performance, and sustainability.

Our long-term approach also includes a real commitment to our markets. And the relationship between the US and the BMW Group is a very special one:
•37 years ago we firmly established our presence in North America with our headquarters in New Jersey;
•We’ve invested $5 billion dollars in our South Carolina plant over the last decade alone; and
•We recently started producing carbon fiber for the i3 and i8 in Washington State.

To be sure, the BMW Group remains as committed to America today as ever before.

One of the reasons we are able to create such revolutionary vehicles like the i8 is the close connection we have with our heritage of innovation. And for decades, bringing more and more innovative 3 Series vehicles to the US has been a labor of love.

A wide-range of vehicles has underpinned our success here in the US. However, the BMW 3 Series Sedan has defined the BMW brand in this country more than any other.

Over the last 37 years, the BMW 3 Series has continued to set the benchmark as the ultimate sport sedan. It is a true sales success in America. In fact, since the first 3 Series arrived here in 1976, more than half of all BMWs sold in the US have been a 3 Series.

The BMW Group Board Member responsible for Sales and Marketing, Ian Robertson, will tell you more about this legendary car.

Dr. Ian Robertson (HonDSc)
Good morning, ladies and gentlemen. I’m glad to be back in the US… especially with so much good news to share with you all!

2011 was an historic year for the BMW Group. And playing a significant role in our worldwide success is, of course, this vehicle… the BMW 3 Series.

One out of every three BMWs sold throughout the world is a 3 Series. And our biggest market for the 3 Series is right here in the USA.

In its sixth generation, the new 3 Series again offers customers the heart of the BMW brand:

• Athletic design;
• Powerful and efficient engines; and
• The ability to individualize each and every car.

Take this one for example: it is currently the sportiest version of the new 3 Series, equipped with the new M Sport Package.

But this is only one example of how the new 3 Series can be customized. Of course, as with every BMW, customers can configure their new BMW 3 Series with as many options as they desire. And for those customers with a design concept already in mind, we’re offering three different Lines.

• The Sport line aims to strengthen the car’s already sporty nature;
• The Luxury line offers a touch of additional refinement; and
• The Modern line creates a harmonious interior space through natural materials.

Whilst these options are new, they are right in line with our long-term approach.

We have always been driven to provide our customers with more options for individuality, more innovation, and more performance. These elements are the spirit of the Ultimate Driving Machine and they are in every one of our vehicles. This has drawn more customers into our brands than ever before and led us to another record year.

I’m pleased to announce that 2011 was the most successful year ever for the BMW Group! We delivered over 1.66 million vehicles to customers worldwide last year.

How did we accomplish this? Of course, by delighting our customers across our three brands: BMW, MINI, and Rolls-Royce.

The BMW brand had a remarkable year, selling more than 1.38 million vehicles in 2011 — a 13% increase over the year before. MINI also continued its stellar growth, chalking up an increase of 22% with 285,000 MINIs sold last year. And the pinnacle of luxury motoring, Rolls-Royce, achieved the best sales result in its 107 year history. Rolls-Royce delivered over 3,500 motorcars to customers around the world. This performance led to all three brands achieving new global sales records.

Here in the US, 2011 was an outstanding year for the BMW Group. In fact, America is once again our largest single market. We sold 305,000 vehicles here, a jump of 15%. Of that, more than 247,000 BMWs were sold here, making BMW the top premium brand in the US car market.

Looking forward, we plan to capitalize on the potential 2012 holds. The BMW brand has its youngest ever product portfolio. Add to this our sales momentum and we start 2012 with a solid foundation for further balanced growth around the globe. This strengthens our position to continue earning the title of number one premium car company in the world.

We intend to expand our lead by focusing on both current and future solutions. In the years to come, we will continue to develop even more efficient and dynamic internal combustion engines. At the same time, we’re also focused on creating revolutionary technologies for future mobility.

To tell you more about our approach, please welcome my colleague, the head of Development at BMW, Klaus Draeger.

Dr. Klaus Draeger
Ladies and Gentlemen – a very warm welcome from my side.

The newest generation BMW 3 Series Sedan is all set to write the next chapter of this car’s long success story. And this car behind me marks yet another milestone for the 3 Series.

The new BMW ActiveHybrid 3 is the first full hybrid compact sports sedan in the premium segment. This car is the latest in BMW EfficientDynamics technology.

This hybrid combines a six-cylinder petrol engine and an electric drive. The outcome: 3 Series driving pleasure with fewer emissions, less consumption, and even more performance.

It comes with 335 horsepower and 450 Newton meters of maximum torque as standard.

And with 37 miles per US gallon, you can experience that performance for a lot longer on the road with fewer visits to the gas station.

On top of the outstanding efficiency of the ActiveHybrid 3 is the Intelligent Navigation System. This system calculates your route, allowing you to drive the last kilometer of your journey using only electric power.

This car is not an ordinary hybrid. The approach we took in developing this vehicle extends beyond optimizing efficiency and performance. We’ve also optimized the car’s architecture.

As just one example, storage was designed with a space-saving layout. The trunk offers 390 liters of cargo space. This makes a real difference, allowing customers full functionality in a hybrid. The ActiveHybrid 3 will be available starting this fall.

This car is the second hybrid-drive model in a BMW high-volume model series. The ActiveHybrid 3 complements the BMW ActiveHybrid 5, which is making its North American debut right here in Detroit.

Ladies and Gentlemen, we consider these hybrid vehicles milestones in a time of change toward zero-emission driving.

So our approach consists of focusing on two areas: evolution and revolution.

This means:

•We will continue optimizing the combustion engine; while
•Paving the way toward e-mobility.

Regarding evolution: our Efficient Dynamics technologies have reduced fuel consumption and carbon emissions across all our models since 2007.

We are also in the midst of a revolution: today we are presenting our concept cars — the BMW i3 and BMW i8 — here in Detroit. These two vehicles represent a breakthrough in future mobility.

Both models were developed as fully electric or plug-in hybrid cars. They are “Born Electric.”

Over there you can see the BMW i3 Concept. It will be the first purpose-designed electric car using carbon fiber in series production. This is truly a revolution in automotive engineering.

The e-drive of the BMW i3 Concept and its power electronics are 100% in-house developments.

And next to the i3 is the BMW i8 Concept. You may have seen it recently in the cinema in the film Mission: Impossible 4. Not only is the car visually stunning, but it is also technically impressive. Using a plug-in hybrid drive, the BMW i8 combines sports car performance with the fuel consumption of a compact vehicle.

Pure, emotional, and sustainable… this Concept will bring the next generation of high performance cars to the road.

Dr. Ian Robertson (HonDSc)
Absolutely, Klaus. But even today, BMW is known for bringing high performance to American roads. However, some people may not know that the BMW Group also brings higher performance to American athletes as well.

Dr. Klaus Draeger
We’re particularly proud of the BMW Group’s commitment to the US Olympic Team. And we’re absolutely thrilled to welcome three Olympic Gold medallists to tell us more about it.

Dialogue with US Olympians: Janet Evans, Apolo Ohno, and Bryan Clay.

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
bmrm396
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3cs

1st!!! 1st 1st 1st hahaha

... always wanted to do that
      01-09-2012, 11:26 AM   #3
DaveL
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 335 coupe msport

The more I look the longer it gets..If I wanted a 5 I would have purchased one to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 11:38 AM   #4
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Jason can you confirm the US base 328i does not have the extra cooler behind the US passenger side foglight as found on the Sport Line 328i ?

One can see the Sport Line 328i cooler in the pics above
      01-09-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
M.Suka
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

A timeless design, even the base version looks good.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #6
BimmerGuyFL
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 BMW 535i M-sport

BMW's are over priced more so now than ever now days. I cannot justify paying 45k for a heavy loaded 328i that's not really that much larger than the E90 model. Sure fuel econ is a bit better, but features wise you need to option them heavily to get what you really want. Base models look very BASE. Just saw that new 2013 Ford Fusion that will come with a 2.0 turbo 4 and a RWD biased AWD system. Exterior design is amazing and so many features for the price.
2013 F10 BMW 535i Alpine White / Oyster Dakota Leather / Anthracite Wood Trim / Steptronic transmission / M Sport Package / Premium Package / Technology Package / Rear-view camera / Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
Boben5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 328 coupe

LOL at that screen. Why not make it pop up? Thats hideous
      01-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #8
BimmerGuyFL
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbo5 View Post
+1
2013 F10 BMW 535i Alpine White / Oyster Dakota Leather / Anthracite Wood Trim / Steptronic transmission / M Sport Package / Premium Package / Technology Package / Rear-view camera / Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #9
m630
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerGuyFL View Post
BMW's are over priced more so now than ever now days. I cannot justify paying 45k for a heavy loaded 328i that's not really that much larger than the E90 model. Sure fuel econ is a bit better, but features wise you need to option them heavily to get what you really want. Base models look very BASE. Just saw that new 2013 Ford Fusion that will come with a 2.0 turbo 4 and a RWD biased AWD system. Exterior design is amazing and so many features for the price.

keep in mind that now the 3er fills the spot in bmw's line up as the old 5er in the new world order. Its grown a full class size from the e46 to the F30, basically mirroring the dimensions of the e39, so you have to understand that this is no longer their entry car in the market. If you want an entry car to compare to a fusion, you have to look at the 1er now. And while price may be competitive for the ford, im sure you wont mistake the driving experience between them....
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 11:59 AM   #10
bimmer_335
Major
Rep
Drives: 540 mSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbo5 View Post
+1
looks out of place to me... i like the exterior styling but interior is just not doing it for me. Hopefully they will do a better job on coupe
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 12:00 PM   #11
WWM3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m630
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerGuyFL View Post

keep in mind that now the 3er fills the spot in bmw's line up as the old 5er in the new world order. Its grown a full class size from the e46 to the F30, basically mirroring the dimensions of the e39, so you have to understand that this is no longer their entry car in the market. If you want an entry car to compare to a fusion, you have to look at the 1er now. And while price may be competitive for the ford, im sure you wont mistake the driving experience between them....
That may be true, but the price of a well optioned 335i rose from about 45k in 2007 to what it is now.
      01-09-2012, 12:06 PM   #12
BimmerGuyFL
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m630 View Post
the E39 was 188 inches in length. the F30 is 182 inches in length. A difference of 6 inches. Sure the BMW may be a little more fun to drive, but for everyday road driving the BMW doesn't really hold a HUGE advantage over most newer cars now days.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 12:08 PM   #13
Nero7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i

Thanks for the pics Jason, would love too see some interior shots with all the interior lights turned on. Do you know if F30 have the same interior ambientlight as the 5 series?

/// M-Sport 328i // Packages -- Adaptive Drive-- Drive Comfort -- Function -- Visibility // 19" 403M // M-Sport Brakes // Harman Kardon // Head Up Display ///
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #14
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

It's clear that if you want a premium car you have to pay a premium price.
And all options summed may add 50% of the base price......
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 12:21 PM   #15
pcbrew
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i 6MT

Thanks for the pictures.
+1 on request for more interior shots of the base with lights on.

I guess there is no non-Xenon equipped car on the floor. Would have been nice to see what that looked like with lights on & off but I guess BMW couldn't bring themselves to put halogens on the show floor.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 12:21 PM   #16
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

I am actually really liking what I see. It's the first time I see a standard interior not one of those goofy blue and red multi colored abominations. Are there any pictures of a 328i like the one above with black leather seating and some sort of wood trim?

Also: does anyone know if the silver 328i above has the sport package?

Last edited by Q4P; 01-09-2012 at 12:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #17
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Options have always been a "problem" with BMW's in terms of price. Every review, it's the price of options that seem to be a con, it sucks but at this point you just accept it. Regardless of what Mercedes or Audi is doing, you pay if you want to play.

I just can't wait to see the configurator and how BMW will allow us to build the 3er. I would love to have the base 3er and add things I want instead of getting a line and have the funky cluster and steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #18
WWM3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 宝马.e90 View Post
Options have always been a "problem" with BMW's in terms of price. Every review, it's the price of options that seem to be a con, it sucks but at this point you just accept it. Regardless of what Mercedes or Audi is doing, you pay if you want to play.

I just can't wait to see the configurator and how BMW will allow us to build the 3er. I would love to have the base 3er and add things I want instead of getting a line and have the funky cluster and steering wheel.
I agree. I'm really looking forward to the configurator going live on bmwusa.com. I'm surprised they haven't done that yet!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #19
WWM3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
I am actually really liking what I see. It's the first time I see a standard interior not one of those goofy blue and red multi colored abominations. Are there any pictures of a 328i like the one above with black leather seating and some sort of wood trim?

Also: does anyone know if the silver 328i above has the sport package?
Sport package does not exist anymore. Just sportline and M-sport packages and the silver 328i has neither.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 12:55 PM   #20
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by WW330 View Post
Sport package does not exist anymore. Just sportline and M-sport packages and the silver 328i has neither.
Then if I am not mistaken; then does this mean all new 3 series have the so called sport suspension of previous models?

I understand the sportline and M-Sport packages are just visual, correct?
      01-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #21
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
Jason can you confirm the US base 328i does not have the extra cooler behind the US passenger side foglight as found on the Sport Line 328i ?

One can see the Sport Line 328i cooler in the pics above
Only the Sport Line and M Sport F30 models have the extra cooler behind the passenger side foglights. Those are seen as the sportier models, where extra cooling may come in handy for more spirited driving.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 01:12 PM   #22
FstopBMW
F-series Mastermind
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12' F30 M-sport

I'm digging the sport models, but where is the M-sport??