F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Disklok possibly prevents a theft
Vorsteiner
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-21-2018, 06:49 PM   #23
Kal027
Major General
Kal027's Avatar
United Kingdom
2451
Rep
5,996
Posts

Drives: 335xd Msport +
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: West mids!!!!

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
TBH I presume anything you put on and make your car harder to steal will encourage them to try next door.

For all the disk lock haters I guess it would be more inconvenient to find your car gone.

Personally I use a pedal lock but after all the dash thefts etc might get a disk lock as well
__________________
Kal
335xd M-sport + dark knight combo ACS springs adaptive strut braced rear spoiler and diffuser black chrome tips front splitter twin slat grilles visibility pack interior comfort pack heated seats upgraded xenon carbon fibre interior aluminium pedals eibach spacers
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 07:00 PM   #24
Hooded
Major
Hooded's Avatar
England
325
Rep
1,051
Posts

Drives: F30 330d M-Sport
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal027 View Post
TBH I presume anything you put on and make your car harder to steal will encourage them to try next door.

For all the disk lock haters I guess it would be more inconvenient to find your car gone.

Personally I use a pedal lock but after all the dash thefts etc might get a disk lock as well
Quite
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 07:01 PM   #25
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Nobby Clark's Avatar
676
Rep
1,665
Posts

Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal027 View Post
For all the disk lock haters I guess it would be more inconvenient to find your car gone
If calling the insurance company, waiting for a hire car and receiving a cheque for 20% more than the cost of a new replacement vehicle a few weeks later is more inconvenient than clanking a chunk of metal around every time you get in and out the car, then yes. You pays yer money and all that.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 07:12 PM   #26
Hooded
Major
Hooded's Avatar
England
325
Rep
1,051
Posts

Drives: F30 330d M-Sport
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby Clark View Post
If calling the insurance company, waiting for a hire car and receiving a cheque for 20% more than the cost of a new replacement vehicle a few weeks later is more inconvenient than clanking a chunk of metal around every time you get in and out the car, then yes. You pays yer money and all that.
Or looking at it another way ..perhaps you have a 4 year old car without gap insurance .. a car you had to wait until you found the right one (colour/spec/price) before buying recently, then you have to accept slightly less money off the insurance than you can replace your car like for like with, the pressure of finding a replacement car before they take the hire car away after paying you out or having to pay extended hire car charges yourself. Then even if you do manage to find an ideal replacement quickly (the car you want) and put the extra money towards it, you find your insurance goes up at renewal even with protected no claims.

Think I'll stick with my disklok
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 07:15 PM   #27
Brigand
General
Brigand's Avatar
England
6962
Rep
20,110
Posts

Drives: Golf R Estate
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: West Midlands

iTrader: (0)

Used disc lock on my E91.

Considered it with Golf but there have been a few mugging / attacks with owners of cars with disc locks.

Would probably just go for Ghost.

I remember it being a pain in tits carrying the thing around in car.

Admittedly I do have the joy of expecting a few more break ins (hopefully attempted)
__________________
Owned: Golf R Estate, Tornado Red, Pano Roof, DCC, Black 19" Pretorias, Black Mirrors and Black Roof Rails.

Previous: 330d F31 x drive, EBII, M Sport + , Vis Pack, Pro Media
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 07:43 PM   #28
Kal027
Major General
Kal027's Avatar
United Kingdom
2451
Rep
5,996
Posts

Drives: 335xd Msport +
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: West mids!!!!

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby Clark View Post
If calling the insurance company, waiting for a hire car and receiving a cheque for 20% more than the cost of a new replacement vehicle a few weeks later is more inconvenient than clanking a chunk of metal around every time you get in and out the car, then yes. You pays yer money and all that.
Factor in the hassle of finding and funding alternative transport plus the hefty increase in insurance premium. Then donít forget unless your cars nicked off your drive youíve still got to get home

Each to their own and as you said quite rightly itís an individual choice.
__________________
Kal
335xd M-sport + dark knight combo ACS springs adaptive strut braced rear spoiler and diffuser black chrome tips front splitter twin slat grilles visibility pack interior comfort pack heated seats upgraded xenon carbon fibre interior aluminium pedals eibach spacers
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 07:47 PM   #29
Kal027
Major General
Kal027's Avatar
United Kingdom
2451
Rep
5,996
Posts

Drives: 335xd Msport +
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: West mids!!!!

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Used disc lock on my E91.

Considered it with Golf but there have been a few mugging / attacks with owners of cars with disc locks.

Would probably just go for Ghost.

I remember it being a pain in tits carrying the thing around in car.

Admittedly I do have the joy of expecting a few more break ins (hopefully attempted)
Donít understand the concept of expecting a few more break ins ???

Is it that as you have a desirable car that youíre expecting to get broken into for the keys ??

Just donít feed your Dalmations of an evening!!!

Ps did see a funny note on a car containing a MASSIVE Rottweiler once

< Please break into this car and feed the dog. Thank you >
__________________
Kal
335xd M-sport + dark knight combo ACS springs adaptive strut braced rear spoiler and diffuser black chrome tips front splitter twin slat grilles visibility pack interior comfort pack heated seats upgraded xenon carbon fibre interior aluminium pedals eibach spacers
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 08:14 PM   #30
Brigand
General
Brigand's Avatar
England
6962
Rep
20,110
Posts

Drives: Golf R Estate
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: West Midlands

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal027 View Post
Donít understand the concept of expecting a few more break ins ???

Is it that as you have a desirable car that youíre expecting to get broken into for the keys ??

Just donít feed your Dalmations of an evening!!!

Ps did see a funny note on a car containing a MASSIVE Rottweiler once

< Please break into this car and feed the dog. Thank you >
Well it's Wolverhampton and had 3 attempts so far.

When the weather improves stands to reason to expect more of the same.
__________________
Owned: Golf R Estate, Tornado Red, Pano Roof, DCC, Black 19" Pretorias, Black Mirrors and Black Roof Rails.

Previous: 330d F31 x drive, EBII, M Sport + , Vis Pack, Pro Media
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 08:23 PM   #31
Hooded
Major
Hooded's Avatar
England
325
Rep
1,051
Posts

Drives: F30 330d M-Sport
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Well it's Wolverhampton and had 3 attempts so far.

When the weather improves stands to reason to expect more of the same.
You'll be ok .. this year it's mainly fords being stolen in the West Midlands
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 08:35 PM   #32
Kal027
Major General
Kal027's Avatar
United Kingdom
2451
Rep
5,996
Posts

Drives: 335xd Msport +
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: West mids!!!!

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Well it's Wolverhampton and had 3 attempts so far.

When the weather improves stands to reason to expect more of the same.
Holy smoke !!!!

Know itís Wolverhampton but still.

Youíve only had the car less than a year !!!
__________________
Kal
335xd M-sport + dark knight combo ACS springs adaptive strut braced rear spoiler and diffuser black chrome tips front splitter twin slat grilles visibility pack interior comfort pack heated seats upgraded xenon carbon fibre interior aluminium pedals eibach spacers
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 11:16 PM   #33
Healy
Banned
36
Rep
81
Posts

Drives: BMW 640d GC
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Surrey

iTrader: (0)

Have any of you thought about putting the £100's you spend on buying your cars each month into to moving to a decent area and buying an old 'Shitter'
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 03:11 AM   #34
chris-c
Captain
United Kingdom
395
Rep
927
Posts

Drives: F31 340i MG + MPPSK
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Berkshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healy View Post
Have any of you thought about putting the £100's you spend on buying your cars each month into to moving to a decent area and buying an old 'Shitter'
Nicer area doesn't mean you're less prone though does it in the long run.

Lots of nice areas have frequent visitors from outside gangs who want more high end stuff. No point trawling the rough estates for stuff when you can move out of town or into the sticks a bit more and shop at waitrose rather than lidl.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 04:18 AM   #35
Brigand
General
Brigand's Avatar
England
6962
Rep
20,110
Posts

Drives: Golf R Estate
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: West Midlands

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris-c View Post
Nicer area doesn't mean you're less prone though does it in the long run.

Lots of nice areas have frequent visitors from outside gangs who want more high end stuff. No point trawling the rough estates for stuff when you can move out of town or into the sticks a bit more and shop at waitrose rather than lidl.
Yep, as usual what started in the cities, towns is moving outwards as these scum start finding easier pickings in other areas, especially rural and semi rural areas.

Also when I say Wolverhampton, I live outside wolverhampton, just using it as a geographic reference.

I think the West Midlands has always had an elevated crime rate.
__________________
Owned: Golf R Estate, Tornado Red, Pano Roof, DCC, Black 19" Pretorias, Black Mirrors and Black Roof Rails.

Previous: 330d F31 x drive, EBII, M Sport + , Vis Pack, Pro Media
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 03:51 PM   #36
Kal027
Major General
Kal027's Avatar
United Kingdom
2451
Rep
5,996
Posts

Drives: 335xd Msport +
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: West mids!!!!

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Healy View Post
Have any of you thought about putting the £100's you spend on buying your cars each month into to moving to a decent area and buying an old 'Shitter'
All areas have their rough and decent areas.

Unfortunately in these days of higher mobility itís not difficult for the vermin to move around and target the more affluent areas where the rewards and the likelihood of plod being around are less.

Not necessarily live in a bad area itís just that some cars tend to attract the scrutters. The Golf R as Brigand has is targeted by the scrutters it would appear as his previous Bmw didnít seem to have any issues as I recall .

Should that stop you spending your money how you want ??
__________________
Kal
335xd M-sport + dark knight combo ACS springs adaptive strut braced rear spoiler and diffuser black chrome tips front splitter twin slat grilles visibility pack interior comfort pack heated seats upgraded xenon carbon fibre interior aluminium pedals eibach spacers
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:23 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST