F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Some 1st week minor glitches
Studio RSR

04-14-2014, 07:23 AM   #1
jonkarn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 F31 M-Sport Stage 1 GS

Some 1st week minor glitches

Been driving the car for 4 days now and love it. Just a couple of initial glitches and questions and wondering if anyone is having the same issues:

Bluetooth integration-

I have an iPhone 4S and it connects fine. Often though, when I first get in the car the music doesn't play. I see my phone info, track and album art etc in the screen, but there is no volume. If I disconnect and reconnect Bluetooth, connection, it plays. What gives?

I've seen issues like this before, even in a Cadillac without Bluetooth music connectivity, when I plug the phone into USB it won't initially play, I would have to unplug and then plug again and all would be fine.

Kind of annoying to have to unpair and repair when getting in car to have the music play. Any fixes for this or is this a dealer issue?

GPS

Navigation is so far pretty good comparably. Haven't tried sending destination from phone yet, but I have apps set up and seems to be ready to go.

A little glitch yesterday though, when I plugged a destination in, it started route fine, but the GPS wouldn't follow my car as I was driving. It still showed my current location as the start location even though car was moving. Every 5 minutes it would then jump to my new location and then stop again. After 15 minutes it corrected itself and worked fine the rest of the way. Will try again today and see what happens.

Anyone else have this happen?

Other than these 2 things the car is fine, especially mechanically. Will continue to play around with the settings and see how everything else goes.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 07:49 AM   #2
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkarn
Been driving the car for 4 days now and love it. Just a couple of initial glitches and questions and wondering if anyone is having the same issues:

Bluetooth integration-

I have an iPhone 4S and it connects fine. Often though, when I first get in the car the music doesn't play. I see my phone info, track and album art etc in the screen, but there is no volume. If I disconnect and reconnect Bluetooth, connection, it plays. What gives?

I've seen issues like this before, even in a Cadillac without Bluetooth music connectivity, when I plug the phone into USB it won't initially play, I would have to unplug and then plug again and all would be fine.

Kind of annoying to have to unpair and repair when getting in car to have the music play. Any fixes for this or is this a dealer issue?

GPS

Navigation is so far pretty good comparably. Haven't tried sending destination from phone yet, but I have apps set up and seems to be ready to go.

A little glitch yesterday though, when I plugged a destination in, it started route fine, but the GPS wouldn't follow my car as I was driving. It still showed my current location as the start location even though car was moving. Every 5 minutes it would then jump to my new location and then stop again. After 15 minutes it corrected itself and worked fine the rest of the way. Will try again today and see what happens.

Other than these 2 things the car is fine, especially mechanically. Will continue to play around with the settings and see how everything else goes.
Bluetooth

Instead of switching Bluetooth on and off, switch the radio on and off. This happens to me at times but it's infrequent.

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 09:18 AM   #3
jonkarn
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Stupid question...how do you turn the radio off? I know how to mute it, and how to switch from radio to sat to other, but by switching radio off do you mean totally off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
Bluetooth

Instead of switching Bluetooth on and off, switch the radio on and off. This happens to me at times but it's infrequent.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 09:49 AM   #4
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkarn
Stupid question...how do you turn the radio off? I know how to mute it, and how to switch from radio to sat to other, but by switching radio off do you mean totally off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
Bluetooth

You just press the knob to turn it off. You press the knob again to turn it on. Muting it is the same thing as turning it off.

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 12:35 PM   #5
Halsifer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkarn View Post

Yeah, this is unfortunately pretty normal. I found that this happens occasionally if I was previously watching a video or listening to another music source (Spottily, Pandora, etc) on my iPhone prior to connecting to the car. It's rare when it happens, but if I hear no audio, I just quickly hit the "Radio" button, then hit the "Media" button on the MMI. It just switches to the radio and back to your phone. Simply little glitch, most likely no fix, glitches like this are common in every car unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkarn View Post

I've had this happen as well at like 3:00AM on my way to San Diego. My current position remained in the parking lot even though I was driving. Just push and hold the Volume Knob (Mute button) and keep holding for about 30 seconds until the entire system restarts. Afterwards, it should work properly. I have only had it happen once and have never seen that problem again. But again, just a minor glitch in the system.
2014 BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport [Sold]
2010 Audi A6 3.0T [Sold]
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 02:24 PM   #6
jonkarn
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well I guess it's good to know I'm not the only one having these issues?

I'll try the source toggling when I don't have BT volume, although I feel like I tried that already. Will see.

Not a huge deal. Although my wife's Mazda Bluetooth pairs flawlessly every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsifer View Post
Yeah, this is unfortunately pretty normal. I found that this happens occasionally if I was previously watching a video or listening to another music source (Spottily, Pandora, etc) on my iPhone prior to connecting to the car. It's rare when it happens, but if I hear no audio, I just quickly hit the "Radio" button, then hit the "Media" button on the MMI. It just switches to the radio and back to your phone. Simply little glitch, most likely no fix, glitches like this are common in every car unfortunately.

I've had this happen as well at like 3:00AM on my way to San Diego. My current position remained in the parking lot even though I was driving. Just push and hold the Volume Knob (Mute button) and keep holding for about 30 seconds until the entire system restarts. Afterwards, it should work properly. I have only had it happen once and have never seen that problem again. But again, just a minor glitch in the system.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 03:36 PM   #7
falar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-sport/2013 X3 35i

EDIT: False Alarm
2014 335i M-Sport Mineral Grey / Sport Auto / Black Dakota / Aluminum Hex / Prem,Tech,DA packages / DHP / M-Sport Brakes / MPPK / MPE / Black Kidney Grilles, SS Pedals, M-Performance CF spoiler / Cameras, heated seats, etc etc

2013 X3 35i...wife's car

Last edited by falar; 04-14-2014 at 04:09 PM..
Appreciate 0