F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 2013 328i Xdrive - CEL after timing chain replacement
Studio RSR

11-10-2021, 10:51 AM   #1
mcjohnz5
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Xdrive

2013 328i Xdrive - CEL after timing chain replacement

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I just replaced the timing chain and oil pump chain on my 2013 328i Xdrive with N20 engine with 115k miles. Everything seemed to be a straightforward mechanical repair, other than it was a lot of work just to get to the timing chain. Upon removal of the timing chain plastic guide, I noticed the pivot point had a broken piece of plastic. Additionally, I was able to find the broken piece in the oil pan. After installation, I now have a check engine light with the following codes: P052B (Cold Start "A" camshaft position timing over-retarded, bank 1), P054B (Cold start "B" camshaft Position timing over-retarded bank 1), P05CC (Cold Start "A" camshaft Position timing performance, bank 1), P13C0 (A' camshaft stuck, bank 1), P13C9 (B' camshaft stuck, bank 1). Here is what I have done after getting the codes: Tried to delete and reset the codes. Unable to delete as OBD2 scanner states that these are permanent codes. Next step - Tore down again and verified TDC and checked timing. Everything lines up - Crank is TDC, both intake and exhaust camshafts are in correct position with the scan codes on the camshafts at the top. The timing tool lines up and bolts up without forcing into place and cam phasers fit with alignment pins. I pulled out the vanos central valves, cleaned and reinstalled. Any ideas what could be going on? I have read some posts about resetting Vanos adaptations, however, I am unable to do this as I do not have software, cables, etc.

Thanks in advance for reading and your opinions!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 06:15 PM   #2
mcjohnz5
Rep

After some thinking, the check engine light was on prior to replacing the chain. This is what led me to the timing chain replacement to begin with. I am going back in to double check the timing again with TDC and using the flywheel pin to ensure I am at TDC.

When installing the new chain, I assumed TDC when the piston was at the top and the camshafts were up with the scan codes at the top of the shafts. I then bolted up BMW tool 2 212 831 and then installed the flywheel pin and the flywheel lock tool to the bell housing. Everything seemed to line up.

Today, I decided to find TDC and then install the flywheel pin. Here is what I realized. I could put the pin in the hole and completely bottom it out without it hitting the flywheel locking position while someone else rotated the crankshaft. I tried installing pin on the next time around and finally got it in the correct hole and locked the crankshaft. Observation: The pin does not fit into the flywheel very deep, so on the initial installation, the flywheel pin was not engaged and the crankshaft was most likely past TDC by a few degrees. Could it be the old chain slipped enough to cause this problem to begin with yet not detrimental to the engine? Then when I installed the new chain, I set timing to the exact position as the old chain.

Now when trying to mount special tool 2 212 831, it does not seem to fit. I also noticed that the impulse wheel flat on the exhaust camshaft vanos does not line up directly over the top of the sensor.

Plan - Counterhold camshaft while loosening central bolts. Loosen chain. Adjust camshafts and reset timing.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 06:42 PM   #3
mcjohnz5
Rep

2 212 831 installed and will not position correctly

Installed BMW tool 2 212 831 and it will not position correctly. Also noted exhaust camshaft impulse wheel flat does not line up with the sensor. I believe it should be directly over the of the sensor. Special tool 2 212 830 does not line up either.

Can the camshafts be this far out of alignment with the crankshaft and still run based on timing with the vanos variable valve timing making up for the misalignment?

Note - I am able to drive the car and it runs. however it is in limp mode and does not have full power.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 08:00 AM   #4
mcjohnz5
Rep

Problem Solved!!

No more check engine light! Runs Great!

How did I fix it?
1. Set TDC and installed flywheel locking pin
2. Tried to install camshaft alignment and locking tool. Would not fit correctly
as images show above.
3. Double - checked TDC again and installed flywheel locking pin. Same
situation as before.
4. Held camshafts on the flat with a 13/16 wrench and loosened central vanos
bolts.
5. Exhaust camshaft rotated counterclockwise on its own. I then rotated the
intake camshaft counterclockwise.
6. Installed the camshaft alignment tool (2 212 831)
7. Installed vanos central bolts and camshaft position impulse wheels.
8. Installed the camshaft position impulse wheels alignment tool
(2 212 830) and aligned the impulse wheels to the pins.
9. Torqued everything down, put it back together.

Success! No more CEL!

Theory - I screwed it up from beginning when installing the timing chain by setting TDC and rotating the crankshaft to make the camshaft alignment/locking tool fit. Here is what threw me off. I was still able to install the flywheel locking pin all the way into the hole. So, I thought I was at TDC and then I installed the flywheel tooth locking tool. On an higher mileage car that may have jumped timing this can lead you down the wrong path.

The right way to set TDC is to make sure you are at the right position and then insert the locking pin, then double-check that the crankshaft will not rotate. If your car is in time the camshaft alignment/locking tool will go in place. You may have to loosen the bolts on the tool to give you some play, but it should go into place. If that tool does not fit, then your car is not correctly timed. If that tool fits (2 212 831) and pins on tool (2 212 830) does not line up, then your camshafts are in time, but your camshaft position impulse wheels are not in time.
Appreciate 2
sspade2460.00
lvevo75.50
      05-31-2022, 11:41 PM   #5
conklin80
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 bmw 328i

Exact same issue

i believe i did the same exact thing. I just replaced my timing chain and i have more codes now than before lol. i havent taken the valve cover off but i have the same exact codes and its in limp mode with no power/torque. but how did you hold the 13/16 wrench on the exhaust cam? its a tight space in the back side of the camshaft. Also did you have both the special locking tools still on when you fixed this issue and you loosened the central vanos bolts? so you held the wrench in one hand and the other hand you loosened the vanos bolts? kinda confused there. you can also email me at conklin80@gmail.com. Really trying to figure out the this issue for i can get it back up and running. car starts right up perfectly. idles great but i have the same code and same issue. thanks!
Appreciate 0