F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Keep or sell extra set of identical wheels/tires???
ARMA SPEED

10-31-2012, 12:52 PM   #1
Il Fenomeno 415
In top form...
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i xDrive coming...

I have a 335i xDrive Sportline order coming soon but I currently have an extra set of Sportline wheels and tires--long story....

So my issue is i will have the 2 identical sets of the 397s. I'm trying to sell 1 set to get rid of them but on second thought would it be a good idea to just hold onto the set in case I need to replace the wheels/or wheel on the 335? This will likely avoid me having to purchase the BMW wheel/tire insurance for the new car when I take delivery. Im in Chicago so the likelihood of a tire issue may arise during the winter months.

What would you guys do? Keep or sell the set?? Any opinions would be very helpful.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 01:08 PM   #2
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

given your location...I'd put on some winter tires. And then add the removed tires to the other pair when worn.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
Il Fenomeno 415
In top form...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath
given your location...I'd put on some winter tires. And then add the removed tires to the other pair when worn.
Interesting suggestion, i never thought of that. Both sets have all seasons on them, which i hear will be fine especially with the xDrive. Of course another tire set of winters would involve spending more $$. How much are a decent set of winters from tirerack?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Fenomeno 415 View Post
Interesting suggestion, i never thought of that. Both sets have all seasons on them, which i hear will be fine especially with the xDrive. Of course another tire set of winters would involve spending more $$. How much are a decent set of winters from tirerack?
RFT's? They are in $200/tire range.

Bridgeston LM60s or WS70's, MUCH cheaper - could cost you $700 for the set.

I'd throw on some WS70's, take off the all seasons to use when the mounted ones wear out...

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
BMWinGE
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

i agree with keeping for winter as one option, but you could also consider selling 3 of the wheels and keeping one as a back-up. you could probably make more selling the 3 wheels individually than as a whole set so you may end up with the back up wheel for little cost.

i also think the longer you hold on to the wheels the less they will be worth (i.e, the more 3 series that are sold, the more the style 397 wheels be available for sell on the market)

just my .02
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 02:49 PM   #6
Il Fenomeno 415
In top form...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328inGE
i agree with keeping for winter as one option, but you could also consider selling 3 of the wheels and keeping one as a back-up. you could probably make more selling the 3 wheels individually than as a whole set so you may end up with the back up wheel for little cost.

i also think the longer you hold on to the wheels the less they will be worth (i.e, the more 3 series that are sold, the more the style 397 wheels be available for sell on the market)

just my .02
Thanks for the suggestion. You make a good point, even now the 397 set is a hard sale and I'm not even asking as much as I've seen in the classifieds forum! I think the idea of getting winters and keeping a spare set of the all season tires to use is a good idea, but am I wrong to say that all seasons on the xDrive are not sufficient for the 4-5 days of bad snow? I'm already annoyed that I have 4 huge F30 wheels in my basement-- they are heavy as hell to lug around. Im thinking just keep them unless i can make some good profit off them. Which is doubtful.

Knowing my luck I'll make a deal w/ someone for the set and later this winter I'll end up needing a spare.
Appreciate 0