F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > My lovely Alpine White /w Coral Red F30
GetBMWParts

11-25-2012, 06:14 AM   #1
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: erratically

Talking My lovely Alpine White /w Coral Red F30

So it's been just over a week (sorry for the delay, crazy hectic work schedule) and I've finally managed to get some time to write up this post about my new M-Sport F30

I took delivery of my shiny new beauty late last week. It was a day filled with excitement in anticipation of taking delivery that day. When the moment finally came that I rocked up at the dealer, it was such a great feeling to know my car was nearly within reach. After meeting various people from various areas in the dealership and signing away on many different forms, the time finally came to meet my beauty. A photo or 2 later, as the cover came off and I finally got to see her in all her glory after months of waiting. It was awesome

From the shininess of the body to the 19" M-Sport wheels, the boldness of the magnificent front and rear bumper to the subtle touches of the side skirts... it was a fantastic sight to finally behold. The Alpine White looked amazing in contrast to the Coral Red. I must admit during the months of waiting I was a little worried about the Coral Red, dreading that it might not be the red I had expected. The photos floating around everywhere made the Coral Red look so bright (I think even my photos do the same) but in real life it looks great. Having had both dark (black/grey) and light (beige) coloured leather seats before, seeing the Coral Red in real life reassured me that the decision was right I took a step back to admire the bixenon lights. The white halos looked super clear and I love them over the yellow halos of my previous car.

Sitting in the lovely back-supporting, butt hugging driver's seat again was a surreal feeling all over again. I was adjusting the driver's seat to perfection first then admiring the view from the inside. Slowly taking in everything all over again like I did on the test drive, only this time it was in me own car. Everything was perfect, except when I realised there's no ///M footrest (later confirmed it's normal via here ... thanks Dave). After listening to the explanations of how everything works in the car and the i-Drive, I was keen to drive out and enjoy the car The first thing on my mind was, "I'm in break-in period, should I try eco-pro or just leave in comfort?.. comfort it is" lol. Slowly I drove out of the dealership and took my new beauty on the roads for there first time (with me anyways). Churning through each gear smoothly I couldn't help but drive away with a smile. A glance or two by people who passed by, a nod of appreciation by another driver, the anticipation of waiting was now well and truly over and replaced by satisfaction off ownership.

So in the week of driving so far some things I've appreciated:
- by far one of the most pleasing aspects is the overall look of the M-Sports package, love the rear of the M-Sports over the non M-Sport
- power delivery compared to my previous is much better. From early on (1500 rpm) it seems to keep going and going (but it's been so hard keeping under 4500.. lol)
- comfort setting isn't as bad as I thought, although changing to sports (haven't done sports+ yet) I can feel the difference straight away
- fuel consumption thus far has been OK. Combined city and highway and peak hour traffic jams, so far have averaged 10.4L/100km so not too bad right?
- the sports seats are sooo much more comfortable than the standard ones
- M Sport Suspension has felt ok too... not too hard/soft/floaty
- even though the car is set on RFT 19"s, it seems that the newer RFTs aren't too bad (will probably change to non-RFTs down the track though anyways depending on how well these perform over time)
- the sound system (not base, not HK but the HiFi system) sounded very 'tinny' and was a bit disappointed at first. However, as each day passes by it seems to sound better and better. Not sure if speakers need to be 'worn in' but it sure does sound better the more I play different music through them.
- did I mention the power delivery yet? still surprised it goes so well at the lower end rpms
- the 8 speed auto has definitely help keep it under 4500rpm. The gear changes are seamless and it churns through them effortlessly
- the bixenon lights~! love that white halo

Some things I've found to be a little 'not so great':
- the rear seats were a little dirty. Some would say I'm a little OCD buti just had to wipe the seats down when I got home and that when I noticed the cloth I wiped with was very dirty after wiping
- the ASS. Stopping is ok, it's the starting up again. Can really feel the car shake a bit when the engine starts back up again. Hopefully can code this to remember last setting
- wiper blades... can't lift them up without lifting the bonnet up... is it just me that finds this weird?
- no ///M plate for the dead peddle
- the paddles to gears... I guess I'm still used to the previous generation's paddles that could up/down shift from the same paddle instead of the current one's that are one side upshift/other side downshift
- should have opted to get the extended usb/Bluetooth thing cos I can't play my iPod without the Y cable. Asked the dealer but wouldn't include it but I can't justify the cost the dealer is charging so I guess it's just USB stick for me... Not that it's bad just annoyed the dealer wouldn't throw one in

All in all I'm loving the new car over the old one. Seems like the car's characteristics are still developing with each drive and it's getting better and better each time. I love jumping in to it everyday modding her is creeping up in my mind, so we'll have to see where things lead to........

Thank you guys for reading my long-ish post. Of course some obligatory pics have been included as well (apologies for the phone quality pics... don't have anything else)

Feedback welcome
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 06:17 AM   #2
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep

Oh.. and received these goodies from our forum vendor BMR Autowerkes (http://bmrautowerkes.com.au).. Thanks to Stu and Allen

Pics before,, during, after
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 06:51 AM   #3
Sherweeeny
yep
Australia
Rep
Drives: 340i

Oh man that is PERFECT!
Best colour combo!! Congrats!

One thing that burns me is the dipshits couldn't put the rear numberplate on straight

More pics from more angles please!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 01:49 PM   #4
dcg71
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Congrats spikey, that seemed to take forever lol. The car looks fantastic, I'm sure you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

msport looks great on white, especially the front bumper. And coral red, I had it on my last car and absolutely loved it. It is bold, but not as bold as it appears in photos. Everyone who saw it in person loved it. Strange the seats were dirty though.

Pity the tight arses wouldn't give you a y cable. I've got a spare one if you need it. And good job on the grilles.
2000 E46 318i Cosmos Black

Last edited by dcg71; 11-25-2012 at 04:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 02:37 PM   #5
scou3821
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
- wiper blades... can't lift them up without lifting the bonnet up... is it just me that finds this weird?
Congrats on the new purchase, that's an awesome colour combo.

About the wipers, there is a special procedure to lift them up (without lifting the bonnet). With the ignition off you raise the wiper control upwards past the resistance point and hold it for 3 seconds. This puts the wipers in a position where you can then lift them to replace them. See page 65 of the manual. There is also a procedure to get them back to the normal position.
Delivered: 328i Sport, Mineral grey, black leather, aluminium trim/red accent, Comfort access, Rear view camera, Sunroof, heated front seats, high beam assist, lane change warning, surround view, parking assistant, xenons, professional nav, internet and more.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 03:06 PM   #6
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
thanks Dave).
Pleasure!!!

Congrats, enjoy & happy motoring in your very own F30 M-Sport.
Get a few hundred kms up & you should not have any issues with going over 4.5k from time to time. I haven't had any issues.

Have a go of the flappy paddles. Talk about instant gear changes. the 8SP ZF is terrific. As an example of how the car works, keep it in Comfort, use the paddles and after around 5 seconds without FP gear changes, the tranny will default back to D mode. A nice way to ease into using the manual mode.

I laughed when I saw the photo of your car covered and the uncovered car with the congratulatory sign. I never had that treatment. Very nice.

Like many of us here, do yourself and you car a favour and have the glaze removed and get the paintwork detailed and sealed. Then invest in some 2 bucket washing accessories and wash & clean the car yourself.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 03:11 PM   #7
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by scou3821 View Post
About the wipers, there is a special procedure to lift them up (without lifting the bonnet). With the ignition off you raise the wiper control upwards past the resistance point and hold it for 3 seconds. This puts the wipers in a position where you can then lift them to replace them. See page 65 of the manual. There is also a procedure to get them back to the normal position.
And if you forget about these instructions, no problem. Just access the owner's manual from your iDrive. Go to the windscreen wipers section and you will see the above instructions on screen. Easy!!!
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #8
CKau
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 Xdrive30i M sport

Congrats spikey! Looks good. I especially like the sports bumper over the standard ones.

Your photos also proved they used an incorrect photo in the brochure. I was beginning to think m sport did not come with dual zone air.

I was contemplating sports line w red leather. It works quite well but in the end I stuck to a beige interior.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 05:10 PM   #9
xdragon
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport Line

Very nice!!! I wish I waited for M-Sport....

BTW, I picked up a Y-Cable from ebay for only 20 bucks! works great! Dealer wanted 140 for it....
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 06:09 PM   #10
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep

Thanks guys for all your comments. I'm loving every little bit of having this car. Sort of felt sad letting go of the old one but the new one has kept my mind busy enough with joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherweeeny View Post
One thing that burns me is the dipshits couldn't put the rear numberplate on straight
More pics from more angles please!!!
Lol I hope my plates are straight enough, but I do know what you mean hahaha, I'll try to get some nicer photos from different angles for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg71 View Post
Congrats spikey, that seemed to take forever lol.
Strange the seats were dirty though.
Pity the tight arses wouldn't give you a y cable. I've got a spare one if you need it. And good job on the grilles.
Mate, it did seem like forever~!!! The seat weren't noticeably dirty until I decided to do a quick wipe down with a cloth... Will have to hit you up soon for coding and that Y cable you have there

Quote:
Originally Posted by scou3821 View Post
Congrats on the new purchase, that's an awesome colour combo.

Haha, I haven't read the manual yet. I guess that sort of makes sense to read it first... at least now I know there's a proper way to lift them

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
Pleasure!!!
I laughed when I saw the photo of your car covered and the uncovered car with the congratulatory sign. I never had that treatment. Very nice.

Like many of us here, do yourself and you car a favour and have the glaze removed and get the paintwork detailed and sealed. Then invest in some 2 bucket washing accessories and wash & clean the car yourself.
The car cover and sign seemed to be standard here. Got that for my previous car too. I'm starting to investigate cleaning products now to see what to get to clean her myself. Being white in colour, I'm hoping dirt, swirls, general crap doesn't show up as badly as it did on my previous darker coloured car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKau View Post
Congrats spikey! Looks good. I especially like the sports bumper over the standard ones.
Your photos also proved they used an incorrect photo in the brochure. I was beginning to think m sport did not come with dual zone air.
Thanks CKAu, I think the problem with the brochure is that they used pics from US models which doesn't really depict the AUS models correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdragon View Post
Very nice!!! I wish I waited for M-Sport....
BTW, I picked up a Y-Cable from ebay for only 20 bucks! works great! Dealer wanted 140 for it....
Thanks dragon, the wait for the M-Sport was a little long but for me, I think it was worth it
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 06:04 AM   #11
scou3821
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
And if you forget about these instructions, no problem. Just access the owner's manual from your iDrive. Go to the windscreen wipers section and you will see the above instructions on screen. Easy!!!
Good point! I still haven't read the full manual (and probably won't). But when stopped in traffic, that's a good time to read the manual on iDrive.
Delivered: 328i Sport, Mineral grey, black leather, aluminium trim/red accent, Comfort access, Rear view camera, Sunroof, heated front seats, high beam assist, lane change warning, surround view, parking assistant, xenons, professional nav, internet and more.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 09:12 PM   #12
jctg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport BSM

Quote:
I have the snowflake instead of A/C and also snowflake under "Max". Wonder when they made the change?

I have exactly the same interior combination other than a non-M sport steering wheel. Looks lovely.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 10:01 PM   #13
fd80
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jctg View Post
I have the snowflake instead of A/C and also snowflake under "Max". Wonder when they made the change?
July/August this year my dealer told me - thats when I was asking, what the GO was with any Navigation upgrade, and they said the only thing they've been notified of was the Snowflake and something else which I forget.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 10:31 PM   #14
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

Looks fantastic.

AW + CR = best combo out there.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 11:28 PM   #15
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
You know what?... I didn't even realise that it was different lol. So is was previously a snowflake and now says A/C? I wonder why they bothered with such a trivial change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmroxm5 View Post
Looks fantastic.
AW + CR = best combo out there.
Thanks Stu, can't disagree with you there .. by the way, are the P3 vents you have already assembled or we DIY ourselves?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 11:41 PM   #16
jctg
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ij05 View Post
July/August this year my dealer told me - thats when I was asking, what the GO was with any Navigation upgrade, and they said the only thing they've been notified of was the Snowflake and something else which I forget.
Fair enough. My car was a July build so the snowflake must have just snucked through.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 12:09 AM   #17
blt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sportline

Congrats Spikey, looks great! Good to see you survived the wait and are enjoying your car.

Bugger about the Y cable. Did Brisbane BMW throw in anything, key ring, floor mats, bottle of booze?

And I love the tyres.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 12:09 AM   #18
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8 V8 '14

LOL Congrats Spikey it's been a long wait for you too budd... if you need a Y cable let me know i've got a spare.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 01:29 AM   #19
jctg
Second Lieutenant
Rep

BMW Melbourne gave me a Y-cable without me even asking for it which was a huge surprise.

The sales was like "Here is the Y-cable I said I would give you"
Me was like "Oh gee yeah thanks very much" (not remember him saying it at all)

Spikey I think you can find one on ebay for under $20.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 01:54 AM   #20
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt View Post
Congrats Spikey, looks great! Good to see you survived the wait and are enjoying your car.
Bugger about the Y cable. Did Brisbane BMW throw in anything, key ring, floor mats, bottle of booze?
And I love the tyres.
Mate, the wait was so drawn out but worth it in the end can't stop smiling every time I'm driving lol. They threw in key ring, mats, umbrella and a bag. No booze this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1n View Post
LOL Congrats Spikey it's been a long wait for you too budd... if you need a Y cable let me know i've got a spare.
Thanks J1n, I can finally say I'm a happy F30 owner too now

Quote:
BMW Melbourne gave me a Y-cable without me even asking for it which was a huge surprise.
The sales was like "Here is the Y-cable I said I would give you"
Me was like "Oh gee yeah thanks very much" (not remember him saying it at all)
Spikey I think you can find one on ebay for under $20.
That's great~! Your dealer took care of that pretty nicely for you

I'm going to try to take up some offers of Y-Cable here. If it works out it'd be great Only down side with the ebay ones is that I've read they work for like 10 mins then keep disconnecting
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 06:13 PM   #21
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8 V8 '14

More pictures ! I was trying to recall who else from Au ordered a white M sport.. hmm you're probably one of the few!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #22
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1n View Post
More pictures ! I was trying to recall who else from Au ordered a white M sport.. hmm you're probably one of the few!
I'll try to get some more photos soon-ish haha

I can't say i've seen many AW F30s at all. Most of the ones I've seen around carrying various badges (including a few ///M ones ) have been black or silver
Appreciate 0