F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > How I almost purchased the competition
Extreme Powerhouse

11-19-2012, 11:56 PM   #1
Sherweeeny
yep
Australia
Rep
Drives: 340i

How I almost purchased the competition

Fellas,

I have linked to my shitty exp with how I almost came to purchase the competition:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...8937888&type=1

If that link doesnt work, this one may:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...&type=1&ref=nf

If you have nothing to do for a tenner then a like wouldnt go too far astray. might also somewhat entertain

Last edited by Sherweeeny; 11-20-2012 at 11:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 12:11 AM   #2
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: erratically

reading this when i get home ... stupid work proxy blocking FB
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 01:11 AM   #3
CKau
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 Xdrive30i M sport

When I went to Audi Five Dock the salesman insisted the starting price of the A4 was $68k and I kept insisting that it was $64k (which is really the case).

Did they bother to contact me when the current GST offer was on? NO! Did the salesman seem interested in making a deal to entice me to talk further? NO!

Well guess what BMW did differently.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 01:48 AM   #4
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherweeeny
Fellas,

I have linked to my shitty exp with how I almost came to purchase the competition:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...8937888&type=1

If you have nothing to do for a tenner then a like wouldnt go too far astray. might also somewhat entertain
Looks like you need some kinda login id for that website to view your post
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 04:40 AM   #5
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKau View Post
When I went to Audi Five Dock the salesman insisted the starting price of the A4 was $68k and I kept insisting that it was $64k (which is really the case).

Did they bother to contact me when the current GST offer was on? NO! Did the salesman seem interested in making a deal to entice me to talk further? NO!

Well guess what BMW did differently.
Audi have exactly the same rep in the UK. It's amazing how little they actually want to sell cars. Audi is by far the worst sales experience I've ever had in the motor trend - to the point I can't see myself ever buying one or even going back to a dealer again now. Ten years of apathy and an air of "if you want it, come and get it but I'm not getting out of my chair" from the salesmen means they can stick to selling to eedjuts and my money will go elsewhere
      11-20-2012, 05:30 AM   #6
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep

Wow, such a long detailed post man~!

The sad thing is that this seems to be the growing trend among some of the euro dealers.

Glad you didn't take it from Audi and decided to find something better. At the end of the day as long as your happy and the purchase was a happy experience, it's all that matters
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 05:47 AM   #7
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8 V8 '14

I didn't get any proper customer service from Audi.. I was considering the A5/A6 before. But their lack of professionalism didn't even seem to motivate me to want to come back to the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 02:34 PM   #8
ozorion
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 30D MSport

Garage List
I was in the same Audi dealer (Zetland) a couple of times recently and both times left me with a desire to never return to that office.

First was when I went with my boss to buy his wife an A1. They didn't want to buy one brand new, but Zetland Audi have an arrangement with EuropeCar where they buy back the rental cars after a year and then resell them. He managed to pick up an A1 at a decent price, but (as a former mechanic) he was quite emphatic in making sure the car had never been in an accident - which Audi ensured him it hadn't.

Once he purchased and picked up the car and got it out of the indoor dealership in to the light, he noticed that the colour on one door was a fraction off from the rest of the car. He called the dealer and once again they assured him the car had never been damaged. When we inspected the door further, we found that an apparent respray of the door had failed to completely cover it as there was a section under the door where the undercoat was still visible.

Once this fact was highlighted to Audi, they offered a $1k discount which they eventually upped to $2k but my boss wasn't having any of it and in the end they took the car back and refunded his money.

My second experience was when I was shopping for my F30 - my wife wanted me to look at other cars so I went to Zetland Audi to look at the A4, A5 & A6. The new car sales reps didn't want to know me (perhaps because of my age and clothing at the time) and kept funneling me over to used cars, despite my insistance that I was interested in and could afford a new Audi. Given that I was looking at a custom build, I suspect they were only interested in moving cars that they had in the dealership.
      11-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #9
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Once I discovered BMW over 25 years ago and bought my first one 20 years ago, I have never looked at another brand for myself. My wife is a Mercedes fan and has a terrific W203. We bypassed the 204 but will look at the 205 when it comes out in 2014.

I have never looked at an Audi, but my cousin has a big, black diesel truck (4WD SUV) one and he LOVES it. According to my cousin, Audi could not have been nicer during the sale and have looked after him with service and parts. He has had the car some years and says it performs beautifully. He is an avid Audi fan.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #10
fd80
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i

Funny how different dealers have such a varying level of service.

I was looking at the A4, but knowing the facelift was coming wasn't considering the older model. I rang them up in Feb asking when it was coming, and the sales rep, emailed a follow up every month, saying that they haven't got it in yet, and keeping touch. When he did get it in (July I think), by this time I got sick of waiting and decided I wanted an F30 instead, I told him I sort of got sick of waiting and ordered an F30. He actually was quite nice about it, said congrats, the BMW Is a nice car and I'll enjoy it - if anything he could help me with in future to let him know.

Good service, was sincere (didn't bag the competition which some reps love doing) and if I or someone close is in the market for an Audi, I'll definitely hit him up!

Dealer was Audi Melbourne - guy's name was William.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 11:52 PM   #11
Sherweeeny
yep
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tojo_m View Post
Looks like you need some kinda login id for that website to view your post
you are clearly not under 20 haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
Audi have exactly the same rep in the UK. It's amazing how little they actually want to sell cars. Audi is by far the worst sales experience I've ever had in the motor trend - to the point I can't see myself ever buying one or even going back to a dealer again now. Ten years of apathy and an air of "if you want it, come and get it but I'm not getting out of my chair" from the salesmen means they can stick to selling to eedjuts and my money will go elsewhere
Yeah its a shame, innit (had to do the accent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
Wow, such a long detailed post man~!

The sad thing is that this seems to be the growing trend among some of the euro dealers.

Glad you didn't take it from Audi and decided to find something better. At the end of the day as long as your happy and the purchase was a happy experience, it's all that matters
Thanks mate, yeah definitely, but I wouldve liked a better direct comparison between the two

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1n View Post
I didn't get any proper customer service from Audi.. I was considering the A5/A6 before. But their lack of professionalism didn't even seem to motivate me to want to come back to the dealership.
yeah man, its just that their cars are good. We got an A4 new in 08 and have had no problems... almost!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozorion View Post
I was in the same Audi dealer (Zetland) a couple of times recently and both times left me with a desire to never return to that office.

First was when I went with my boss to buy his wife an A1. They didn't want to buy one brand new, but Zetland Audi have an arrangement with EuropeCar where they buy back the rental cars after a year and then resell them. He managed to pick up an A1 at a decent price, but (as a former mechanic) he was quite emphatic in making sure the car had never been in an accident - which Audi ensured him it hadn't.

Once he purchased and picked up the car and got it out of the indoor dealership in to the light, he noticed that the colour on one door was a fraction off from the rest of the car. He called the dealer and once again they assured him the car had never been damaged. When we inspected the door further, we found that an apparent respray of the door had failed to completely cover it as there was a section under the door where the undercoat was still visible.

Once this fact was highlighted to Audi, they offered a $1k discount which they eventually upped to $2k but my boss wasn't having any of it and in the end they took the car back and refunded his money.

My second experience was when I was shopping for my F30 - my wife wanted me to look at other cars so I went to Zetland Audi to look at the A4, A5 & A6. The new car sales reps didn't want to know me (perhaps because of my age and clothing at the time) and kept funneling me over to used cars, despite my insistance that I was interested in and could afford a new Audi. Given that I was looking at a custom build, I suspect they were only interested in moving cars that they had in the dealership.
how old are you if you dont mine me asking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
Once I discovered BMW over 25 years ago and bought my first one 20 years ago, I have never looked at another brand for myself. My wife is a Mercedes fan and has a terrific W203. We bypassed the 204 but will look at the 205 when it comes out in 2014.

I have never looked at an Audi, but my cousin has a big, black diesel truck (4WD SUV) one and he LOVES it. According to my cousin, Audi could not have been nicer during the sale and have looked after him with service and parts. He has had the car some years and says it performs beautifully. He is an avid Audi fan.
didnt see a post like this coming from you David... hahaahah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ij05 View Post
Funny how different dealers have such a varying level of service.

I was looking at the A4, but knowing the facelift was coming wasn't considering the older model. I rang them up in Feb asking when it was coming, and the sales rep, emailed a follow up every month, saying that they haven't got it in yet, and keeping touch. When he did get it in (July I think), by this time I got sick of waiting and decided I wanted an F30 instead, I told him I sort of got sick of waiting and ordered an F30. He actually was quite nice about it, said congrats, the BMW Is a nice car and I'll enjoy it - if anything he could help me with in future to let him know.

Good service, was sincere (didn't bag the competition which some reps love doing) and if I or someone close is in the market for an Audi, I'll definitely hit him up!

Dealer was Audi Melbourne - guy's name was William.
good to finally see some good recent feedback!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 04:11 PM   #12
ozorion
Private
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherweeeny View Post
how old are you if you dont mine me asking?
Not too young - early 30s, but I just noticed I looked a lot younger than most of the people in the new car sales area. I was also wearing work shorts and a t-shirt though so I probably didn't look like a prospective new Audi buyer.

Speaking from a sales rep point of view - there's something to be said for profiling a prospective customer, but you need to be careful about forming judgements based on superficial observations. I suspect this is what the Audi guys did in my case.
      11-21-2012, 06:32 PM   #13
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8 V8 '14

I really dislike age discrimination
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 06:58 PM   #14
Sephanite
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

posted in the fb link. I think i was closer to going to audi than u
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #15
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep

mmmm I think it's a fine line between profiling and stereotyping...

Me, well I'm not that old, not that well dressed and generally not that keen looking when going into dealerships/retail shops. I say not that keen looking because I think that there's always other options so I try to keep an open mind about dealing with people who don't/won't budge.

This probably works against me most the time cos the sales reps from whichever retailer I'm at, generally looks at me and thinks I'm some punk wasting their time. To that, I'd have to say doesn't bother me too much. I do get a little annoyed sometimes but I'm used to it and like I said, I don't really dress the part. So at the end of the day it's their loss of business so oh wells. But when I do get a sales rep that doesn't treat me like a timewaster, I really appreciate it and don't give them a hard time with any bargaining etc and usually buy something anyways. In this day and age, most the time before heading into a retailer I've already done my research and pretty sure I know what I want. I just need someone to physically show me the product and confirm what I know. Sounds crazy right? Yet so many retailers still get it wrong ....
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 08:35 PM   #16
ozorion
Private
Australia
Rep

Garage List
I've found it odd where I work because about two thirds of my customers are your typical tradespeople - electricians or data/comms guys that get about in stubbies and t-shirts and drive Ford Transits or Hilux utes. I thought more of them would be impressed with my new car but it turns out they all drive Bimmers or Mercs or Audis on the weekend. Most of them are self-employed, do a lot of cash-in-hand work, and generally aren't too bad off. They look like one thing during the week but when they're not working, they're probably as likely a looking BMW buyer as anyone else.

Regarding good sales reps, I was very disappointed with my overall experience with BMW, despite loving the car. I started out making enquiries at Trivetts Classic in Parramatta and the sales rep there was awesome - always had time for me, was very prompt with returning calls and emails and arranged several test drives (including taking my wife out for a test drive while I minded our baby).

However my employer suggested that I get a price through their fleet purchasing company, which I did, getting a $7k discount. Before I knew what was going on, my order was placed with BMW North Shore. I called and apologised to the rep at Trivetts because I had wanted to buy from him, but had little control after the order was placed. He was very understanding and congratulated me on the new car.

The rep at North Shore BMW was their fleet sales rep, so he was obviously used to dealing with bulk orders, orderers who weren't the final driver and generally hands-off customers. I never felt like he tried to build a rapport or did much to cement the seller/buyer relationship. He also made two mistakes on my order (that I managed to correct before they went to the factory), was very poor about returning emails and phone calls, and made me feel like I was an inconvenience whenever I managed to catch up with him.

After it was all said and done though, I was happy with the final outcome, and I've got five years before I need to decide which BMW dealer to go to next.
      11-21-2012, 09:30 PM   #17
Sherweeeny
yep
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Not too young - early 30s, but I just noticed I looked a lot younger than most of the people in the new car sales area. I was also wearing work shorts and a t-shirt though so I probably didn't look like a prospective new Audi buyer.

Speaking from a sales rep point of view - there's something to be said for profiling a prospective customer, but you need to be careful about forming judgements based on superficial observations. I suspect this is what the Audi guys did in my case.
ah yeah, fair enough, im younger than you too, but still, anyone could be a potential purchaser

Quote:
yeah definitely, its not really something to go by when trying to determine the relevance of a person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephanite View Post
posted in the fb link. I think i was closer to going to audi than u
id say about the same haha, pretty similar story too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
mmmm I think it's a fine line between profiling and stereotyping...

Me, well I'm not that old, not that well dressed and generally not that keen looking when going into dealerships/retail shops. I say not that keen looking because I think that there's always other options so I try to keep an open mind about dealing with people who don't/won't budge.

This probably works against me most the time cos the sales reps from whichever retailer I'm at, generally looks at me and thinks I'm some punk wasting their time. To that, I'd have to say doesn't bother me too much. I do get a little annoyed sometimes but I'm used to it and like I said, I don't really dress the part. So at the end of the day it's their loss of business so oh wells. But when I do get a sales rep that doesn't treat me like a timewaster, I really appreciate it and don't give them a hard time with any bargaining etc and usually buy something anyways. In this day and age, most the time before heading into a retailer I've already done my research and pretty sure I know what I want. I just need someone to physically show me the product and confirm what I know. Sounds crazy right? Yet so many retailers still get it wrong ....
The keener you are, the more you get ridden so its hard for the customer too to tell them they are interested, but not THAT interested

Quote:
I've found it odd where I work because about two thirds of my customers are your typical tradespeople - electricians or data/comms guys that get about in stubbies and t-shirts and drive Ford Transits or Hilux utes. I thought more of them would be impressed with my new car but it turns out they all drive Bimmers or Mercs or Audis on the weekend. Most of them are self-employed, do a lot of cash-in-hand work, and generally aren't too bad off. They look like one thing during the week but when they're not working, they're probably as likely a looking BMW buyer as anyone else.

Regarding good sales reps, I was very disappointed with my overall experience with BMW, despite loving the car. I started out making enquiries at Trivetts Classic in Parramatta and the sales rep there was awesome - always had time for me, was very prompt with returning calls and emails and arranged several test drives (including taking my wife out for a test drive while I minded our baby).

However my employer suggested that I get a price through their fleet purchasing company, which I did, getting a $7k discount. Before I knew what was going on, my order was placed with BMW North Shore. I called and apologised to the rep at Trivetts because I had wanted to buy from him, but had little control after the order was placed. He was very understanding and congratulated me on the new car.

The rep at North Shore BMW was their fleet sales rep, so he was obviously used to dealing with bulk orders, orderers who weren't the final driver and generally hands-off customers. I never felt like he tried to build a rapport or did much to cement the seller/buyer relationship. He also made two mistakes on my order (that I managed to correct before they went to the factory), was very poor about returning emails and phone calls, and made me feel like I was an inconvenience whenever I managed to catch up with him.

After it was all said and done though, I was happy with the final outcome, and I've got five years before I need to decide which BMW dealer to go to next.
You get a bigger discount with the fleet purchasers however you really have to know exactly what you want and to not expect much service at all. If you do get a little bit of service along with it, which it seems youve got, then thats a bit of a bonus imo!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 06:23 AM   #18
BMoutlaW
Team Blop
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-sport

Quote:
I feel you on this being 23 i'm too old for the younger chicks but too young for the older woman. Unfair it is I say... but if anyone is in Washington my dude Len is the coolest sales rep I know party animal that guy.
      11-22-2012, 06:27 AM   #19
Tra08R
Money never sleeps
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 - 2007

thats interesting.. every time I walk into Zetland Audi I get the royal treatment.. coffee, cake, offered a ride in the RS4 and then the TT R or something, each time i walk away not putting down a deposit (twice in 3 yrs)

North Sydney BMW is the absolute crappiest, BMW hands down in sydney (FROM MY Experience - I Stress). Wanted to buy a 135i literally had a wad of $10,000 in my soft leather briefcase after converting my US dollars.. told sales guy I want a test drive, he said ok..then walked off..made me wait 15mins standing there.. he never came back.. after 5 more mins.. drove myself to BMW sydney sat in the 135i realise its not the car for me as it was just too small.. 30mins later paper work all done on my e92.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #20
dcg71
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Lol. Like everyone else, dealers do a little bit of stereotyping. Just convince them that you're their best chance of making a sale. Old mate seems to have the right idea. Clearly he's convinced T that he's about to drop a deposit on an A1 at any moment.
2000 E46 318i Cosmos Black
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 02:10 PM   #21
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tra08R View Post
30mins later paper work all done on my e92.
Should have made your first stop at NS BMW and show the lazy sales guy your new toy and laugh at his lost commission.

Was there a place in the BMW survey to note NS BMW's behaviour before buying from BMW Sydney?
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 02:38 AM   #22
Tra08R
Money never sleeps
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 - 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
Should have made your first stop at NS BMW and show the lazy sales guy your new toy and laugh at his lost commission.

Was there a place in the BMW survey to note NS BMW's behaviour before buying from BMW Sydney?
He is dead to me, so no time spent on him. But i did receive a phone call from BMW North sydney asking me why i didnt buy the car from them and ask will i be brining the car in to them for service.. given they are my 'local' BMW dealer.
BMW HO passed my address to them.

Also with the F30, BMW North Sydney were $1,500 off the price that i had in mind to sign on a new F30. but they wont move hence i got my F30 interstate for cheaper and dilvered to my front door. From my experience BMW canterbury and sylvania gives the best best best deals. BMW canterbury once agreed to sell me a brand new e92 M3 toyota corolla version (no sunroof not one option at all) for $135 drive away...
Appreciate 0