F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > How much of our brains do we really use?
ARMA SPEED

04-13-2012, 08:21 AM   #23
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Impressive!! But just stay away from Skynet!!!
      04-13-2012, 09:50 AM   #24
Hall Walker
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I don't about any other people.. But, I am using my brain 90% in my favorite field and in my family...
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 10:14 AM   #25
SS32
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwdFtl View Post
Have you guys ever heard of Technological Singularity?

Technological Singularity: refers to the hypothetical future emergence of greater-than-human intelligence through technological means.[1] Since the capabilities of such intelligence would be difficult for an unaided human mind to comprehend, the occurrence of a technological singularity is seen as an intellectual event horizon, beyond which events cannot be predicted or understood

Is it technically possible for computers to eventually become smarter than human?

I would say Siri is a minuscule version of this concept. What do you guys think?
It's possible and it will happen within our lifetimes. Moore's Law has held true and there is no reason why it won't continue. Exponential growth occurs in every area of scientific progress so it's only a matter of time before our computers become far more powerful than the human brain. Classical computers get faster and cheaper every year, and quantum computers are quickly becoming a reality. Once the technology becomes available to scale up quantum computing, our computing ability now will look like tick marks in the dirt. Couple that with what we're learning about the mechanics and architecture of the brain and we will see artificial brains in the not-too-distant future. Ray Kurzweil believes that once the singularity is reached, we will be able to back up our consciousness and exist on a hard drive somewhere. It's a claim that is fvcking out there, but his prediction track record is nearly 100%.

We're quickly approaching the time when we can steer our own evolution, pretty exciting stuff.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #26
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall Walker View Post
I don't about any other people.. But, I am using my brain 90% in my favorite field and in my family...
how do you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS32 View Post
It's possible and it will happen within our lifetimes. Moore's Law has held true and there is no reason why it won't continue. Exponential growth occurs in every area of scientific progress so it's only a matter of time before our computers become far more powerful than the human brain. Classical computers get faster and cheaper every year, and quantum computers are quickly becoming a reality. Once the technology becomes available to scale up quantum computing, our computing ability now will look like tick marks in the dirt. Couple that with what we're learning about the mechanics and architecture of the brain and we will see artificial brains in the not-too-distant future. Ray Kurzweil believes that once the singularity is reached, we will be able to back up our consciousness and exist on a hard drive somewhere. It's a claim that is fvcking out there, but his prediction track record is nearly 100%.

We're quickly approaching the time when we can steer our own evolution, pretty exciting stuff.
insane.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #27
boostedM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
When a computer can figure out females
Then I'll be impressed
+1

The supercomputers we built that have beat humans in chess or on Jeopardy just have incredibly fast processing power. They can crunch numbers faster than we ever could. They are loaded with more information than a human could ever remember. They are the collective effort of hundreds if not thousands of human minds. So if that is your definition of "smarter", then they have well surpassed us. But computers don't have the ability to learn on their own. They have to be programmed by a human. Humans have incredible problem solving abilities, but with a computer, if it's never programmed to deal with a certain situation, it's impossible for it to teach itself to do it. That's why I'm not too worried about the singularity
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #28
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
look into a guy name Jason Silva, he has a lot of interesting things to say on this subject and is putting together a documentary. He might be a lil much for some of you but others will find him quiet interesting
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 01:02 PM   #29
SS32
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedM View Post
+1

The supercomputers we built that have beat humans in chess or on Jeopardy just have incredibly fast processing power. They can crunch numbers faster than we ever could. They are loaded with more information than a human could ever remember. They are the collective effort of hundreds if not thousands of human minds. So if that is your definition of "smarter", then they have well surpassed us. But computers don't have the ability to learn on their own. They have to be programmed by a human. Humans have incredible problem solving abilities, but with a computer, if it's never programmed to deal with a certain situation, it's impossible for it to teach itself to do it. That's why I'm not too worried about the singularity
I'm trying to find the article, but I recently read about a doctor who is using a theory on AI from the early 90s to build a computer that can quickly adapt to changing situations and learn from past mistakes.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 01:16 PM   #30
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

We're still 20-30 years from understanding how a few chemicals crossing between one neuron and the next creates tells a worm to shy away from a fish, nevermind how that same process allows creations like Romeo & Juliet or Star Wars. We'll be unable to recreate that basic communication/understanding electronically until then.

Advances in quantum computing will provide the tools once we reach that level of understanding.

Some of us will hold on to the assumption that our own brain is created by a higher power (God) and that understanding will escape our current brain configuration.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 11:41 PM   #31
mrlight
Rep
n/a
Drives:

The computer is only good at left-brain which is the logical part.
Appreciate 0