F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > DIY: F30 F31 Power Folding auto dimming & dipping mirrors: Question
ARMA SPEED

02-28-2015, 10:53 AM   #1
tjlees
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 Chav Mobile

DIY: F30 F31 Power Folding auto dimming & dipping mirrors: Question

There is seems to be surprisingly little information on how to retrofit F30 Power folding mirrors with the auto electro-chromatic dimming feature and tilt to kerb on reverse.

I managed to miss this from the option list because I thought the 430 option didn't include tilt to kerb (the feature I really wanted) on reverse and seemed it was only part of the electric seat option (the stealer had no idea):

However a little searching of ebay revealed this:

So it seems that I can buy power folding, dimming and dipping mirrors from fleabay, the required switch, but I need the wiring loom for at least the drivers side for the power fold switch to make it happen.

Various searches on http://www.realoem.com/ and http://bmwfans.info/ and looking at wiring looms reveal nothing conclusive. The stealer were quite happy to sell me the power folding mirrors (£450 each! sans cap and mirror glass) and switch unit (£110) but did not have a scoobys on which wires I needed.

The question is: does someone have the wiring diagram/loom part number required for power folding retrofit?

Many thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 02:25 PM   #2
radair
Private
Rep
Drives: G26 i4 M50

Do you know Rheingold? I think this is exactly what you are looking for.

Greetings
Roland

BTW: Do you have electric seats? If yes, you are lucky because then you don't have to change the wiring.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 04:11 PM   #3
tjlees
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by radair View Post
Do you know Rheingold? I think this is exactly what you are looking for.

Greetings
Roland

BTW: Do you have electric seats? If yes, you are lucky because then you don't have to change the wiring.
I thought rheingold was a diagnostic tool rather that part finder?

Unfortunately I didn't select the electric seats
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 07:41 AM   #4
radair
Private
Rep

It also provides all wiring diagrams and part descriptions. ;-)
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 09:13 AM   #5
Tim@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2022 X4 M Competition F98 LCI

Garage List
If you had electric seats, simple coding would have done the trick for the automatic curb mirror function.

Without, I'm not too certain. The issue seems to be that it requires the "memory" function but it seems several members here with auto dimming but no electric seats seem to have the curb function. I wouldn't want to spend the money to only find out it doesn't work.

Just for those curious, coding is as follows:

ASP_MEMORY_VERBAUT - Prerequisite for the below, determines if mirror memory exists - Requires Electric seats?
ASP_BORDSTEINAUTOMATIK - determines if function is enabled or not - aktiv
ASP_BORDSTEINAUTOMATIK_DELTA - sets the angle of the tilt.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 05:43 AM   #6
radair
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbits93 View Post
If you had electric seats, simple coding would have done the trick for the automatic curb mirror function.

Without, I'm not too certain. The issue seems to be that it requires the "memory" function but it seems several members here with auto dimming but no electric seats seem to have the curb function. I wouldn't want to spend the money to only find out it doesn't work.

Just for those curious, coding is as follows:

ASP_MEMORY_VERBAUT - Prerequisite for the below, determines if mirror memory exists - Requires Electric seats?
ASP_BORDSTEINAUTOMATIK - determines if function is enabled or not - aktiv
ASP_BORDSTEINAUTOMATIK_DELTA - sets the angle of the tilt.
If you retrofit the electrochrome mirrors (they have 5 Pins instead of 6) the mirrors are controlled via LIN bus, not directly anymore. In this case you always have the curb tilt.
So the question is if you have electrochrome mirrors OR electric seats. In both cases you have the 5 pin LIN bus System where the mirrors are controlled via the FEM module.

greetings
Roland
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 01:51 PM   #7
Renaissance23
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by radair View Post
It also provides all wiring diagrams and part descriptions. ;-)
Hi saw your reply to the folding mirrors I do have the electric seats in my f33 would it be a simple straight fit? I also found a guy selling a pair of f33 with the controller just wanted to know if I need anything else I was going to risk it??
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 08:05 AM   #8
crazy-frog
Private
Rep
Drives: .

Has anyone gotten anywhere with this? I've just dived straight in and cleared eBay of it's folding mirror supply (I have no idea why I bought 3...) and a driver side switch with the mirror control.

I don't have electrically adjustable seats, and my current mirrors are the basic ones, so I have literally no idea what I'm letting myself in for

Searching around, I can't find any info on the lin bus, if I have existing cabling, etc.

Where do I find diagrams for all this, outside of Rheingold that is, or should I just use Rheingold?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 08:23 AM   #9
crazy-frog
Private
Rep

This would seem to be relevant, taken from the 04_F30 General Vehicle Electronics PDF here.

So, you can see all the required linbus connections, however what I don't know is, do cars without folding mirrors definitely not have the linbus going to the mirrors?

If we need wiring to the linbus, how far do we need to go? i.e. is there wiring from the bus to the door, or do we have to go all the way back to the FEM?

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 07:37 PM   #10
crazy-frog
Private
Rep

Though I think I'm talking to myself, for reference (for anyone listening!) someone over @ bimmerfest has done this, thread below:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=892556
Appreciate 3
fe7565552.50
      04-07-2016, 02:11 PM   #11
omorzo
Always on track!
Italy
Rep
Drives: 328i

Garage List
Anyone know if the bimmerfest thread works for retrofit the folding mirrors? I want to try but i'm a newbie about this things...
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 04:30 PM   #12
tjlees
Major
England
Rep

Ok looks like his number is the same 07508 578 579 - providing his eBay account is mcrussellj - see http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-F10-FL...wAAOSw7KJXDoyv
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 08:48 AM   #13
320DPilot
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 BMW 320D Sport

Hi, I recently purchased 2 power folding mirrors and a window regulator for my F30 2012 BMW 320D Sport. Apart from the required software, can you confirm if I need anything else.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2016, 03:11 PM   #14
320DPilot
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 BMW 320D Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by meph137 View Post
Though I think I'm talking to myself, for reference (for anyone listening!) someone over @ bimmerfest has done this, thread below:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=892556
Think I've found the answer to my previous question. Thanks meph137
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 12:21 PM   #15
russ97
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i 2015 M4

F30 Mirror Replacement

Hi,

I have attempted to replace the driver side mirror on my 2013 F30/328 with a replacement I purchased on eBay.

No issues replacing the mirror by just popping the top of the panel off by the tweeter speaker. From there I was able to access the screws and the wiring harness.

After replacing the mirror the rocker switches in my door (window/lock/mirror adjustment) stopped working. But the mirror was receiving power and the turn signal was flashing.

I unplugged the wiring harness to the mirror and the door panel rockers started working again.

Is this a coding issue, is the car unhappy that I am installing a 2014 mirror on a 2013 car? I am not sure if the new mirror is power folding or not but it looks identical and the model number and stamp on it is the same.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Russ
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 02:25 PM   #16
tjlees
Major
England
Rep

the fem does need coding and may even require updating. mine did and it was a 2014 my. I would expect the difference in mirror v car year would not be a problem. mine was a 2013 mirror.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 08:06 AM   #17
mano74
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 F25 20d

f25 mirror retrofit

Hi all,

I know this a F30 thread, but I couldn't find anything related on F25 threads...

I started to research the option of retrofitting my F25 with fold-in/auto-dimming and auto-dip (not sure it could work without power seats). I found the hardware, two mirrors and one master switch and I was looking at my wiring diagrams, but I am not too good at it, so I need you help please!

The car has interior auto-dimming mirror, but has no power seats.

I have now 7 wires coming to my mirrors, for some reason, in the attached diagram I can see only 6, for Low equipment specification.

Anyways, the retrofit mirrors have only 5 pins, are using LIN bus, it is not direct control like I have now, and I was wondering if I could reuse some of the connections.

For example, in present wiring, passenger mirror has no connection to power distribution box and in retrofit wiring it should have one. Can I use one connection between passenger mirror and master switch and receive the power from the master switch? I mean the physical connection exists, it won't be needed anymore in the new wiring and I just have to find the right pins, right?

The same with FEM bus connection for the passenger door, can I connect one cable that becomes available to the LIN bus pin on the master switch or it has to be on FEM, directly?

Thank a lot!
Mircea

I got the diagrams from here: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...rrors/HD2d8PoX
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 10:59 PM   #18
cwario
Rep
Drives: 328

Could you solve the problem with the window switch? I have the same problem when i plug the harness.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ97 View Post
Hi,

I have attempted to replace the driver side mirror on my 2013 F30/328 with a replacement I purchased on eBay.

No issues replacing the mirror by just popping the top of the panel off by the tweeter speaker. From there I was able to access the screws and the wiring harness.

After replacing the mirror the rocker switches in my door (window/lock/mirror adjustment) stopped working. But the mirror was receiving power and the turn signal was flashing.

I unplugged the wiring harness to the mirror and the door panel rockers started working again.

Is this a coding issue, is the car unhappy that I am installing a 2014 mirror on a 2013 car? I am not sure if the new mirror is power folding or not but it looks identical and the model number and stamp on it is the same.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Russ
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 07:27 AM   #19
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep
Drives: M3LR

Have a look at this thread: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1360941
      11-05-2018, 03:50 PM   #20
Leigh335d
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d (F31) DMS & Birds B3

Hello all,

Sorry to reignite an old(ish) thread. I have retrofitted powerfolding mirrors and changed out the driver’s window control panel for one with the mirror folding button. After coding, the mirrors fold with the long press on the keyfob however the fold button on the window/mirror control panel doesn’t seem to work. Has anybody else had any similar issues? It’s not a big deal, however in tight spaces, or when the cyclists are playing kamikaze at the lights, it would be useful to be able to momentarily fold in the mirrors...
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 03:58 PM   #21
Leigh335d
United Kingdom
Rep

I’m finding the lack of ability to fold the mirrors from inside the car frustrating. Does anybody with factory folding mirrors have the coding for their FEM (specifically the driver’s door controls)?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 03:25 PM   #22
Leigh335d
United Kingdom
Rep

I suspect I could be whistling in the wind, however if it is of any use, I haven’t changed the wiring because - as I understand it - it shouldn’t be necessary because I have memory seats.
Appreciate 0