F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Dealer mechanic collision with another party.
Studio RSR

06-15-2018, 10:26 AM   #1
hmmwv79
Rep
Drives: 328i 2012

Dealer mechanic collision with another party.

The mechanic had the collision when he was testing my car, another party(lady) suddenly drive out from the driveway., the mechanic couldn't completely stop. Hit the left rear corner of Minivan. Police report state at her fault. All repair will cover by her insurance company.

Does the engine survive?

The car was sitting at the dealer shop for 3 weeks until dealer and her insurance company's trouble. Now finally the dealer dropped the car to the body shop. When I went to the body shop, at fault's party insurance company guy investigate the damage. It will be fully fixed.

I have loaner car from BMW dealer on the first day of the accident. Now BMW dealer asked to me return the loaner car and get the rental car if you have rental reimbursement coverage.

I think I should get a rental car from fault's party insurance company.

Please advise. Thank you!

BMW dealer in CA. 2014 435i. Factory warranty will expire on July. We are 2nd owner, CPO purchased from other BMW dealer.
Attached Images

Last edited by hmmwv79; 06-15-2018 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: Attached file
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 10:34 AM   #2
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

It's all about whatever the car insurance laws are in CA. Are you a party to the at fault person's case in this matter? Or is between her and the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 10:44 AM   #3
hmmwv79
Rep

I was not even in the car. Mech vs another lady. The police report said some violation 21804 A by another party not by mech.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 11:19 AM   #4
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv79 View Post
I was not even in the car. Mech vs another lady. The police report said some violation 21804 A by another party not by mech.
Was your car, no matter the driver. No different than if the other party’s car was being driven by someone else other than the owner.

California is considered a fault state, so other party is responsible. So yes the other person’s insurance should pay. You should contact them directly.

However, I would add that in this case, with the mechanic was working for Dealer, I think it’s pretty shitty that they are telling you to go get rental instead of allowing you to use the loaner.

I would suggest you call General Manager and explain situation to him/her. Also suggest they charge the other person’s insurance for the rental of the loaner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
It's all about whatever the car insurance laws are in CA. Are you a party to the at fault person's case in this matter? Or is between her and the dealer?
Technically, he agreed to let Dealership drive car when he signed the form dropping the car off. The case would be between him and other car’s owner.

He might have some type of lawsuit against Dealership, though I seriously doubt it. Most likely a court would rule against it as he gave permission to Dealership to drive car for testing. They usually protect themselves pretty well.

Now if Mechanic was driving his car to lunch, totally different.

Honestly, very little damage. Front bumper and grille. Less than $3k in damage most likely if hood wasn’t damaged. Hard to tell if lip of hood is bent or that is overhead light reflection. If hood damaged, less than $5k.

Wasn’t going that fast or more damage (including hood) and airbags would have blown.

Last edited by IK6SPEED; 06-15-2018 at 11:32 AM..
Appreciate 2
jeffc83725.00
BrettKA7566.50
      06-15-2018, 11:24 AM   #5
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

Sorry about your car dude. Make sure to get on them about diminshed value, in California you may need a third party inspector to assess and give their estimate of value loss to get a payout, but they aren't very expensive.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 11:45 AM   #6
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacklinUSOB View Post
Sorry about your car dude. Make sure to get on them about diminshed value, in California you may need a third party inspector to assess and give their estimate of value loss to get a payout, but they aren't very expensive.
Diminish value is virtually impossible on cosmetic damage as any reputable inspector will tell you.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 12:44 PM   #7
hmmwv79
Rep

There is small dent on the hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Was your car, no matter the driver. No different than if the other party’s car was being driven by someone else other than the owner.

California is considered a fault state, so other party is responsible. So yes the other person’s insurance should pay. You should contact them directly.

However, I would add that in this case, with the mechanic was working for Dealer, I think it’s pretty shitty that they are telling you to go get rental instead of allowing you to use the loaner.

I would suggest you call General Manager and explain situation to him/her. Also suggest they charge the other person’s insurance for the rental of the loaner.

Technically, he agreed to let Dealership drive car when he signed the form dropping the car off. The case would be between him and other car’s owner.

He might have some type of lawsuit against Dealership, though I seriously doubt it. Most likely a court would rule against it as he gave permission to Dealership to drive car for testing. They usually protect themselves pretty well.

Honestly, very little damage. Front bumper and grille. Less than $3k in damage most likely if hood wasn’t damaged. Hard to tell if lip of hood is bent or that is overhead light reflection. If hood damaged, less than $5k.

Wasn’t going that fast or more damage (including hood) and airbags would have blown.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 12:46 PM   #8
hmmwv79
Rep

Body shop already start fixing the car after 3 weeks later..... covered by at fault's party insurance.

I am not comfortable about returning loaner. I will talk with GM.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 12:52 PM   #9
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Body shop already start fixing the car after 3 weeks later..... covered by at fault's party insurance.

I am not comfortable about returning loaner. I will talk with GM.
Suggest to GM they charge her insurance for Loaner car for 3+ weeks (or a month before it’s returned.)

Win. Win.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 01:35 PM   #10
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Diminish value is virtually impossible on cosmetic damage as any reputable inspector will tell you.
I'm sure it's not ever possible without an attempt.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 01:42 PM   #11
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm sure it's not ever possible without an attempt.
I am 100% positive of my statement that cosmetic damage is denied. Must have replaced more than a bumper (or hood). Damage parts has to be still on car which changing out bumper (and hood) would not be any longer.

Carfax and it’s bogus info is no longer considered a factor.

Ask me how I know

Some of the less reputable third party Dimished Claim Inspectors will tell you what you want to hear to get your $250 for a report.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 01:45 PM   #12
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am 100% positive of my statement that cosmetic damage is denied. Must have replaced more than a bumper (or hood).

Ask me how I know
As I am 100% of mine. I am sorry for your bad experience, hopefully OP isn't left with the same.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 01:46 PM   #13
hmmwv79
Rep

Let's see how the bodyshop estimate once tearing apart.
Quote:
As I am 100% of mine. I am sorry for your bad experience, hopefully OP isn't left with the same.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 01:47 PM   #14
hmmwv79
Rep

Since all the process cover by at fault's party insurance, does my car will have carfax history? ....

Quote:
I am 100% positive of my statement that cosmetic damage is denied. Must have replaced more than a bumper (or hood). Damage parts has to be still on car which changing out bumper (and hood) would not be any longer.

Carfax and it’s bogus info is no longer considered a factor.

Ask me how I know

Some of the less reputable third party Dimished Claim Inspectors will tell you what you want to hear to get your $250 for a report.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 01:51 PM   #15
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Since all the process cover by at fault's party insurance, does my car will have carfax history? ....
Hit and miss.

Some Insurance report. Others do not.

Carfax also pulls from public records, if there is a police report for example.

A Car I sued to have purchased back because of issues did not. Dealer was upset after the Manufacture sold to them unaware of History. Contacted me for some info and I told him. They then legally had to tell potential buyer.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 01:54 PM   #16
hmmwv79
Rep

Well. They ask me using my insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrboulder View Post
Sounds like the dealer wants the other party's insurance to pay for the loaner as a rental. Not an unreasonable desire but they should do the legwork.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 02:01 PM   #17
hmmwv79
Rep

Ouch. Police report has my record...
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 05:07 PM   #18
vooonoo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Rep
Drives: f30 328

Garage List
2014 f30 328i  [0.00]
In CA if the collision were the mechanics fault would the shops insurance cover the bill or yours? Just curious
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 09:00 PM   #19
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vooonoo View Post
In CA if the collision were the mechanics fault would the shops insurance cover the bill or yours? Just curious
Depends on what the work order states that you sign when dropping off car to have work performed.

Imagine the other driver could sue both parties.

Would think the owner would still be the primary Insurance as the owner gave Dealer permission to drive.

However I suspect you or your Insurance could file suit against the Dealer.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 09:36 PM   #20
hmmwv79
Rep

Quote:
Depends on what the work order states that you sign when dropping off car to have work performed.

Would think the owner would still be the primary Insurance as the owner gave Dealer permission to drive.

My case was 100% another party's fault.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 09:56 PM   #21
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vooonoo View Post

My case was 100% another party's fault.
Not saying it wasn't.

Reread what I posted a reply to.....a hypothetical.

Last edited by IK6SPEED; 06-16-2018 at 10:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 10:22 AM   #22
paul e
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive 6MT

Go through your insurance, they will or should bill back the other insurance company.

This is why you have insurance....let your company do its job.

I was hit in the rear bumper a few years ago in my Passat, the other driver was at fault. I had rental coverage at $50/day, his company had $35/day. So I went through my company and got the $50, they went after the other company for reimbursement. Easy-peasy and zero effort on my part.

Again, let your company do the work.
Appreciate 0