F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Alpine upgrade for 2015 F31 with Pro Media - requires coding?
ARMA SPEED

03-13-2015, 07:37 AM   #1
plthomas
Rep
Drives: 320i

Alpine upgrade for 2015 F31 with Pro Media - requires coding?

Hi all,

I'm due to get the Alpine speaker and amp upgrade installed next week by my local dealer. I'm a bit confused as to whether it will require coding to put the Head unit into "Hi-fi" mode though.

Does anyone know for sure? I've got a 2015 F31 with Pro Media.

Also, if it does require coding, how can I double check that it's been done afterwards? Obviously apart from asking them!

cheers,
Pete
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 09:33 AM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by plthomas View Post
Hi all,

I'm due to get the Alpine speaker and amp upgrade installed next week by my local dealer. I'm a bit confused as to whether it will require coding to put the Head unit into "Hi-fi" mode though.

Does anyone know for sure? I've got a 2015 F31 with Pro Media.

Also, if it does require coding, how can I double check that it's been done afterwards? Obviously apart from asking them!

cheers,
Pete
Your local dealer should know... it says so in page 15:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf F20_F21_F30_F31_Alpine_Stereo_Retrofit.pdf (913.1 KB, 901 views)
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 10:33 AM   #3
plthomas
Rep

Thanks Technic, I don't suppose you have the equivalent document for right hand drive cars? (I'm in the UK).
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 02:31 PM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Technic, I don't suppose you have the equivalent document for right hand drive cars? (I'm in the UK).
It is irrelevant where the steering wheel is located, coding still is required...
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 04:43 PM   #5
plthomas
Rep

I've just got the car back from having the retrofit done and while it sounds better, it's still sounds a bit odd - no matter what I do there's still lots of bass and treble with little mid-tones. I'm guessing this is how it might sound if it hasn't been coded.

I'm going to call the dealer in the morning to ask about the coding, but is there anyway I can check that it's been done myself?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 04:51 PM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I've just got the car back from having the retrofit done and while it sounds better, it's still sounds a bit odd - no matter what I do there's still lots of bass and treble with little mid-tones. I'm guessing this is how it might sound if it hasn't been coded.

I'm going to call the dealer in the morning to ask about the coding, but is there anyway I can check that it's been done myself?
If you have the coding cable/software then, sure you could check it. Otherwise I think that you just found out by the excessive treble that the coding was not been done.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 06:18 PM   #7
JOE YOUNG
SEAL TEAM SIX
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 E90 E84 F30 X3G01 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
If you have the coding cable/software then, sure you could check it. Otherwise I think that you just found out by the excessive treble that the coding was not been done.
oops!
      06-15-2015, 06:53 AM   #8
amaris
Rep
Drives: 2018 G01,'15 F30, Sold:'12 F25

Quote:

Hi
I'm looking to get this fitted to my F30 as well. How did it go? Did the dealer sort the problem of lots of bass and treble?
How does it sound now?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 03:37 AM   #9
Lazarini
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F07, F30

Hi wondering also.

I had mine installed on Monday to my F30 that has Navi PRO and had Standard Sound (no tweeters on the door).
Install was done by local car audio garage and they did a good job as discussed without coding u will need to turn down the treble and in my case also the bas to like 3 lines each anything more then this will result distortion at higher volumes. So yes coding is needed.

If u go to the dealer they will connect it to the workshop system and code the car but this will take hours as the car will be completely coded also it will result in probably in a lot of other custom coding being deleted...

What u can do to do is to code it via eSYS see here...

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...=982910&page=2

S
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 04:03 AM   #10
amaris
Rep
Drives: 2018 G01,'15 F30, Sold:'12 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarini View Post
Hi wondering also.

I had mine installed on Monday to my F30 that has Navi PRO and had Standard Sound (no tweeters on the door).
Install was done by local car audio garage and they did a good job as discussed without coding u will need to turn down the treble and in my case also the bas to like 3 lines each anything more then this will result distortion at higher volumes. So yes coding is needed.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...=982910&page=2

S
Thanks. Will try that!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 08:02 AM   #11
Lazarini
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F07, F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaris View Post
Thanks. Will try that!
Just back from the garage had it coded like the link above that i provided works great...

U see i have had it coded yesterday but the guy just coded the SA 676 thats the standard HIFI coding.

All do it made big difference and i was able to use the standard middle setting on bass and treble i had a feeling something was missing... but could not put the finger on it.

So i found the thread above yesterday evening and return to the garage today with my laptop to show the guy the thread he followed the instructions on the link i posted and coded it to Alpine HIFI retrofit.

So now i can compare all 3 settings i had experienced with the Speakers after installing them.

1. Standard Sound: Pre-amped HU to compensate for lack of tweeters had to lower the treble and bass to almost minimal in order for the sound not to distort to much at the higher listening volume
2. Coded to SA 676 HIFI Sound: Bass and Treble now OK to set to mid point without distorting the sound at higher volume still the BASS now sounded a bit week and just an overall lack of power at higher listening volumes not to much but was expecting a better punch after all the standard HIFI amp is 205W and the Alpine one is 420W...
3. Coded to HIFI ALPINE RETROFIT. Punchier heavier sound more defined picture stage better tweeter separation just the overall result is another level up from the previously coded 676 HIFI.

So definitely the way to go and to code it proper way.

Good luck S
Appreciate 0