F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Should I buy wheel & tire insurance?
Studio RSR

04-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #23
micknugget
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328 Red

Now hypothetically, if all of your tires are down to say...40% of their original tread and you get a flat. With the warranty coverage, BMW will replace the one tire with a new one. Do they make you replace (at your cost) at least one of the other 3? Having 1 new and 3 fairly warn tires is kinda dangerous as they grip differently.
      04-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #24
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by micknugget View Post
Now hypothetically, if all of your tires are down to say...40% of their original tread and you get a flat. With the warranty coverage, BMW will replace the one tire with a new one. Do they make you replace (at your cost) at least one of the other 3? Having 1 new and 3 fairly warn tires is kinda dangerous as they grip differently.
As long as their is 5/32 tread, they will replace the tire for free.
      04-18-2012, 02:26 PM   #25
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Here in Hawaii it is pretty much mandatory to have this protection. We didn't have it on our M3, result was several replacements out of our own pockets. We got it on our X5 and again a 5 year protection on our F30. I think it is well worth with the amount of potholes we get year round. It's like driving in a 3rd world country here.

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 02:36 PM   #26
micknugget
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
As long as their is 5/32 tread, they will replace the tire for free.
Yes, but do they MAKE you replace any of the other tires or just leave you with 1 new and 3 warn and a somewhat dangerous handling car.
      04-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #27
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by micknugget View Post
Yes, but do they MAKE you replace any of the other tires or just leave you with 1 new and 3 warn and a somewhat dangerous handling car.
They just replace the one that has a nail, if you are driving on bald tires thats your problem for driving on bald tires lol.

Personally, i havent had to pay for tires in a long time.
      04-18-2012, 04:53 PM   #28
g0at23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09' 335i coupe M-sport

WORTH IT!! Wish I had it...

I live in NYC which has the worst roads in USA hands down. I also drive very very fast. I'm talking about 100MPH+ on highways and 50+MPH on regular roads/streets. Yes, I am a menace to society. I'm a little older now 27.. had my 335i for 3 years and I try and drive slower to save gas, reduce wear/tear, and just seen too many bad accidents, etc. Ahhh getting old....

Anyway... Run flats suck. How sucky?

First year I replaced 2 tires for bubbles...
about 500$ at BMW second one I got it for 430$ at a local tire shop

Second year I had a nail in one tire and a bent rim (i believe included with insurance) + bubble in another later on in year...
430$ for the one with nail and then I decided to replace all 4 tires with non runflats cause I couldnt take it no more. 1000$ for 4 new high quality tires.

Just the first 2 years alone would have been worth it to get the insurance... Wish I had it my cousin still makes fun of me for not taking it...

Third year so far I had 1 large bubble in a non run flat that got replaced...
This time I went cheaper with continentals for 180$. The run flats suck but its just the overall stiffness of the suspension and fast driving that will put bubbles in your tires. Much worst with run flats though.

Forgot to mention... If your looking to replace all tires with non run flats eventually... Drive slow and careful for a while then when its time replace the tires with cheap to moderate tires. Getting good tires is so overrated... My tires get abused and need to replace them constantly. I'll go with Falcons right now if given the choice.

Last edited by g0at23; 04-18-2012 at 05:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 05:03 PM   #29
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0at23 View Post
I'm a little older now 27..

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 05:16 PM   #30
g0at23
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post
Hey man I'm a semi-pro mixed martial artist. My cuts and bruises take for ever to heal now . These old bones can't take the punishment no more .
      04-18-2012, 05:21 PM   #31
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hey man I'm a semi-pro mixed martial artist. My cuts and bruises take for ever to heal now . These old bones can't take the punishment no more .
lol for martial arts I can imagine you're getting a tad older year.. but age wise, I wish I was still 27 lol (not that I'm that old, though, I'm 35 myself lol).

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #32
g0at23
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post
lol for martial arts I can imagine you're getting a tad older year.. but age wise, I wish I was still 27 lol (not that I'm that old, though, I'm 35 myself lol).
Man... my best years were 21-24. That was a good age. that was probably the best age.
      04-18-2012, 05:30 PM   #33
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Man... my best years were 21-24. That was a good age. that was probably the best age.
lol a part of me would normally agree with you regarding that age but, in my case, I guess I would have to do a few things over in order to make them my best age Let's just say I didn't have a certain wisdom back then (not saying I have that much now, though haha).

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 01:43 AM   #34
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcraft View Post

My reasoning was, in every car I've ever owned, I've had bad experience with nails. And yes, while I know it's technically feasible to repair run-flats that have had nail punctures, I didn't want to play those odds.

Guess what?!?! Within a week I already had a nail in my right rear tire. Dealer replaced the tire no questions asked. Only thing they might not have pointed out is that every service visit covered under the warranty costs a $50 deductable. Total price, out the door was about $425.

So as of now, less than a month into having my 328i, I've already received the value of $375. I'm already ahead on my $1,000 investment.

But this is my example. Your mileage may vary.
An RFT can have a puncture repaired as long the nail was not in the sidewall. But, this goes for ANY tire type, even non RFT.
There is nothing special about RFT's that have a nail in the tread that meets the road. Repairing that type of puncture is perfectly safe.
For those who say it's not safe, please post why and cite your technical source.
The don't plug/patch an RFT thing was from the early days because manufacturers wanted them back to get data.
Repair has been approved since then.
Here's one source:
http://www.autos.ca/auto-articles/fe...run-flat-tires

The problem I have with insurance replacement is that the replacement policy seems to have no problem with doing it the wrong way.
Let me explain. IOW, if your tires have an average usable mileage life of say 40K, then what happens if you have a non-serviceable tire puncture?
Insurance will pay to have only that tire replaced. Now you have a car where on one axle one tire has 100% full tread and the other tire has 50% wear. I would rather drive a properly repaired tire than to drive with mismatched tires.
On AWD drive trains tires with uneven wear have a greater concern.

If insurance were to do it correctly, then they need to define at what wear percentage will BOTH tires be replaced. But they won't.
So really, why bother with getting wheel and tire insurance.
Take the $1000 and set it aside. Then when you have a repairable issue, you spend $20 and get it fixed properly, patched inside and plugged on the outside. You still have $980.

What are the chances of actually bending a rim? Not that much.
Plus, if you bend a rim you already have auto insurance to cover that if you decide to go with an OEM wheel, which are very expensive.
If you've got a $250 deduct, then a new wheel costs you $250.
You still have $750 of the $1000 left. If you have a $500 deduct, then you still have $500.

Oh wait, I just read that even with the "insurance" you still have a $50 deduct. You claim a $375 savings, but that's based on replacing the tire vs repairing it. If it were not repairable due to having a puncture in the sidewall, then it costs $300 at tirerack. They charge $15 to mount and balance. $325 to $350 depending on where you got it mounted and tax.

To get a $350 "value", it cost you $1050.
But, you're NOT ahead.
You're still $700 in.
Again, assuming the tire needed replacing in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 01:59 AM   #35
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
WORTH IT!! Wish I had it...

I live in NYC which has the worst roads in USA hands down. I also drive very very fast. I'm talking about 100MPH+ on highways and 50+MPH on regular roads/streets. Yes, I am a menace to society. I'm a little older now 27.. had my 335i for 3 years and I try and drive slower to save gas, reduce wear/tear, and just seen too many bad accidents, etc. Ahhh getting old....

Anyway... Run flats suck. How sucky?

First year I replaced 2 tires for bubbles...
about 500$ at BMW second one I got it for 430$ at a local tire shop

Second year I had a nail in one tire and a bent rim (i believe included with insurance) + bubble in another later on in year...
430$ for the one with nail and then I decided to replace all 4 tires with non runflats cause I couldnt take it no more. 1000$ for 4 new high quality tires.

Just the first 2 years alone would have been worth it to get the insurance... Wish I had it my cousin still makes fun of me for not taking it...

Third year so far I had 1 large bubble in a non run flat that got replaced...
This time I went cheaper with continentals for 180$. The run flats suck but its just the overall stiffness of the suspension and fast driving that will put bubbles in your tires. Much worst with run flats though.

Forgot to mention... If your looking to replace all tires with non run flats eventually... Drive slow and careful for a while then when its time replace the tires with cheap to moderate tires. Getting good tires is so overrated... My tires get abused and need to replace them constantly. I'll go with Falcons right now if given the choice.
Insurance might not have paid for all the things you did the first two years.

For "bubbles", you have warranty from the tire manufacturer.
Way too many people don't realize that when you buy a new car you DO have the same tire warranty as if you bought those tires from a tire dealer. I digress.

Bubbles don't mean automatic replacement by warranty or insurance.
Because, it "depends".

So, why did you pay for 2 tires that had bubbles in the first year of their life? Did you not know about tire warranty from the manufacturer?
In terms of valuation for tire/wheel warranty, your experience can't be compared equally as we don't know if the insurance would have covered the bubbles. If insurance didn't cover it and you didn't the bubbles, it would cost you on top of the coverage premium.

Then, you made the best point, getting quality tires, which is what I do right away when I get a new lease.
If you don't get the insurance, then you can just wait until a non-repairable happens. If that does, then take the money you didn't spend and buy a new set of better tires, and get road hazard with them.
Then, you'll have the protection you need, except for the wheel protection.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 02:58 PM   #36
kjoseph270
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 XDrive 40i MSport

If you abuse your tires, they will abuse you. Normal wear and tear I agree with RPM, you can replace for cheaper than the cost of the insurance. I am enlightened to the amount of people who have had so many tire problems. I have been driving for 26 years and have only had a flat due to a nail or puncture twice. (I've lived all over) - NY, FL, TX, HI, LA, MS, Germany, CA). My worse case scenario was having a car with a bad alignment that wore a good pair of tires in 15k miles.

Here's a question I know someone can answer - do you HAVE to put RFT's back on, or can you replace with regular sidewall low profile tires?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 03:09 PM   #37
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjoseph270 View Post
If you abuse your tires, they will abuse you. Normal wear and tear I agree with RPM, you can replace for cheaper than the cost of the insurance. I am enlightened to the amount of people who have had so many tire problems. I have been driving for 26 years and have only had a flat due to a nail or puncture twice. (I've lived all over) - NY, FL, TX, HI, LA, MS, Germany, CA). My worse case scenario was having a car with a bad alignment that wore a good pair of tires in 15k miles.

Here's a question I know someone can answer - do you HAVE to put RFT's back on, or can you replace with regular sidewall low profile tires?
You can put whatever you want on, but the tire insruance has them put the same tires back on.
      04-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #38
a4budak
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

We've decided not to take those insurance anymore. Seems like Murphy Law applies to all these stupid insurances. When we purchased our Q7 we purchased the insurance because cost of replacing/fixing 20" wheels and tires. Guess what we owned the Q7 for almost 5 years not a single flat or bent wheel. Got VW CC with 18" wheels and sport wheels declined insurance guess what first trip to Chicago for the weekend and a flat and bent wheel. Again got Grand Cherokee with 20" wheel and tire package got insurance, over 20K on the clock and not a single flat or bent wheel even with couple of experimental off roading last summer. So declined on F30 and we'll see what's going to happen.

2012 Acura MDX w/ Technology & Entertainment Pkg.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #39
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcraft View Post

Guess what?!?! Within a week I already had a nail in my right rear tire. Dealer replaced the tire no questions asked. Only thing they might not have pointed out is that every service visit covered under the warranty costs a $50 deductable. Total price, out the door was about $425.

So as of now, less than a month into having my 328i, I've already received the value of $375. I'm already ahead on my $1,000 investment.
Can you explain your math on this? You've paid $1,000 for insurance + $50 deductible = $1,050. You received a new tire that would have cost you $425 through the BMW dealer. How does "investing" $1,050 and receiving a $425 benefit put you "ahead"?

Seems like you would have to have at least 2 more flat tire replacements before you're really ahead.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 06:19 PM   #40
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Sure sounds like people who bought the T&W insurance are trying very hard to justify their purchase. These T&W insurance are making so much money that BMW started their T&W insurance service. BMW is trying to profit from the misinformation people have concerning run flat tires.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 07:05 PM   #41
micknugget
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Sure sounds like people who bought the T&W insurance are trying very hard to justify their purchase. These T&W insurance are making so much money that BMW started their T&W insurance service. BMW is trying to profit from the misinformation people have concerning run flat tires.
I still think that the warranty is worth it if you drive a lot, dive on poor roads or near a lot of construction, or get the 19" wheels. I see it as more of a value for bent rims as opposed to the tires. Even then, I opted out.
      04-19-2012, 07:32 PM   #42
Ron Scott
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 M Sport

if $260 per year for tire insurance is reasonable for any car those tires are the worst buy in the world today.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 08:07 PM   #43
micknugget
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Scott View Post
if $260 per year for tire insurance is reasonable for any car those tires are the worst buy in the world today.
It's tire and WHEEL insurance and i spoke about the value being in the wheel insurance. It's a really bad deal if it were just for tires.
      04-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #44
Just a 3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i prem sport perf pkge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Very View Post
The dealer is offering me wheel and tire insurance for $1,299.00 for five years. For the wheels it covers warping, cracking, etc if I hit a pothole, curb, etc. It does not cover scuffs. For the tires, it provides a new tire if I get a puncture on the run-flats as long as they are not "bald" already.

I am ordering a 328i luxury line with the standard 18 inch wheels with all season tires.

Is this a good investment? Tires are about $240 each and a wheel is around $1,000 each.

I would buy it if I were you. With the runflats, you can't repair them, so everytime you have a flat (or a leak), you will be out $450 or so. I speak from personal experience - on my first 06 E90, I bought it, and in 3 years had to change 5 tires - all were paid. I buy it ever since.
Appreciate 0