F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Drivetrain Error/Issue
Studio RSR

02-07-2014, 05:30 AM   #1
Chandy168
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 328i MG // VW Amarok

Exclamation Drivetrain Error/Issue

Hi everyone,

I would like to ask all the experts out there to lend a helping hand/insight into the matter. My car was running on reserve petrol, with the computer telling me I had 68km range left. I was accelerating up a hill when at about 30km/hr, my car wouldn't accelerate any further and an error popped up.

Name:  IMG-20140207-WA0000 (1280x720).jpg
Views: 523
Size:  278.6 KB

It stalled at that speed for the rest of the trip to the petrol station. Once I topped up, the error disappeared and my performance resumed to normal.
I wonder if others have experienced this issue before and would like your insight so I understand this matter more before I bring it for a service.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 02:50 PM   #2
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

It looks as if your car was running on fumes, stalling on your way to the petrol station. What did the fuel gauge indicate?

According to the manual, one should refill the tank once the distance reaches 50kms, which is generally what I do, so 68kms shouldn't be an issue. How steep is the hill you were driving up? Is everything still ok?
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 06:15 PM   #3
jctg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport BSM

The drivetrain error may have nothing to do with his low fuel tank. That the error was cleared may have more to do with switching off the car (to refuel) and then restart then the refuel itself.
      02-07-2014, 06:49 PM   #4
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

I would bet it has nothing to do with the low fuel.

A few weeks ago I had to drive from Newcastle to Mudgee and had to pull over in a little town not far from Mudgee and call Roadside Assistance to come and give me some fuel. I drove for quite a few Kms on 0.

I would suggest to just keep an eye on it, it may not ever happen again.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 10:05 PM   #5
Hivetyrant
Private
Rep
Drives: AW 328i - Sports

That error seems to be pretty generic, I've run into it before and after a rest and a restart it went away.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 01:46 AM   #6
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

A computer glitch then?
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 04:03 AM   #7
Chandy168
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
It looks as if your car was running on fumes, stalling on your way to the petrol station. What did the fuel gauge indicate?

According to the manual, one should refill the tank once the distance reaches 50kms, which is generally what I do, so 68kms shouldn't be an issue. How steep is the hill you were driving up? Is everything still ok?
Fuel gauge still had a little left. With a range of 68kms, I thought it'd have no problems at all. The hill wasn't steep at all, it was a very low inclination slope. I have driven any major trips since, but it seems ok. Should I get it checked by service anywho?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivetyrant View Post
That error seems to be pretty generic, I've run into it before and after a rest and a restart it went away.
Its quite a scary generic error. It just refused to accelerate. Have you had service check it out before?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 04:32 AM   #8
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens again. The numbnuts at BMW won't do anything about it anyway unless it happens again and you can show them.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 02:52 PM   #9
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandy168;*****113
Fuel gauge still had a little left. With a range of 68kms, I thought it'd have no problems at all. The hill wasn't steep at all, it was a very low inclination slope. I have driven any major trips since, but it seems ok. Should I get it checked by service anywho?
Maybe the drivetrain error was going to happen, no matter how much fuel was in the tank. Then again, maybe not. I thought 68kms is still adequate, considering the manual states 50kms as a minimum.

As others have probably posted correctly, the drivetrain error probably did not have anything to do with the fuel level. It could have been caused by so many issues, from fuel injector blockage to a computer glitch to who knows what.

Whether the car's computer recorded the error into memory or not might be determined by a service check. Maybe wait and see if this happens again for possible intermittent fault. Hopefully it will not happen again.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 04:14 PM   #10
Hivetyrant
Private
Rep
Drives: AW 328i - Sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
A computer glitch then?
That's been my assumption, I figure because it's all computer driven somethings gone wrong and rather than have any corrective smarts the system just goes into safe mode until it's restarted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandy168;*****113
Its quite a scary generic error. It just refused to accelerate. Have you had service check it out before?
But as you said, it's a pretty scary error, my heart sank when I saw it, and yeah the car was running like $hit when it happened. Plus when it was idling you could feel the car shake like there was a cylinder misfiring/off.

However it's better for it to go into safe mode than to completely switch off as that poor VW owner found out

Edit: Yeah I took it in for a service and they of course said they had no idea or couldn't find a trace, but they did do the system upgrade at the time (Over 6 months ago). While I question the recent quality of the servicing as a whole, if it were serious, I'm sure they'd be doing something about it.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 03:21 AM   #11
Chandy168
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivetyrant View Post
That's been my assumption, I figure because it's all computer driven somethings gone wrong and rather than have any corrective smarts the system just goes into safe mode until it's restarted.

But as you said, it's a pretty scary error, my heart sank when I saw it, and yeah the car was running like $hit when it happened. Plus when it was idling you could feel the car shake like there was a cylinder misfiring/off.

However it's better for it to go into safe mode than to completely switch off as that poor VW owner found out

Edit: Yeah I took it in for a service and they of course said they had no idea or couldn't find a trace, but they did do the system upgrade at the time (Over 6 months ago). While I question the recent quality of the servicing as a whole, if it were serious, I'm sure they'd be doing something about it.
In that case, I wouldn't mind holding out to my next service. 12,000km's to go.. Hopefully nothing goes wrong within that time frame. Nonetheless, a very scary thing to happen in a new car.. quite disappointed at the level of quality.
Appreciate 0