F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F30 Wind-Noise Issues
GTB Performance

03-18-2015, 02:10 AM   #859
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by brybarrett View Post
Any update on this?
I took my car in for the 45K maintenance and again complained about the wind noise.

All previous attempts to get this fixed were met with either "it's normal", or "could not reproduce".

This time (thanks to this forum), I worded it differently; I just said it sounds like the front driver and passenger windows were not sealing properly and that there is a lot of noise at the top-rear of the windows.

They "confirmed" the issue and they replaced both window guides:

51 33 7 258 325
51 33 7 258 326

Inspecting the installation shows that at the top end of the door where the seal slides over the is very much tighter than my previous seals were.

Initial results were very positive, but it's hard to say how much difference there is on short trips in traffic. But the difference was easily noticed by both of us. It's hard to tell sometimes as I think I'm mistaking wind noise with road noise.

We just got back from a long trip (LA-SFO) and I'm very pleased with the reduction in noise over about 10 hours of fast I-5 driving under lots of different road conditions. I think I'm finally past this long-term wind noise nuisance!

Notes:

1. Over a really good road surface (there actually is some on I-5 theses days), the car is virtually silent; It's never been this quiet before. I very pleased with this.

2. Over bad/patched/grooved sections (still lots of those on I-5), the increase in road noise is huge and probably amplified by the run-flats. I think a component of the road noise manifests itself as wind noise, but isn't. It may be just the sound bouncing off the windows.

So, if you can show your SA that you have a gap between the glass and the seal at the back of the windows and/or report that it sounds like the window glass is not sealing properly, maybe having the window guides replaced will fix the issue for you. It did for me.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2015, 08:08 AM   #860
///Mangler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, E90 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
1991 E30 M3  [0.00]
97 M3  [0.00]
2000 E39 M5  [4.50]
2000 E39 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman
Quote:
Originally Posted by brybarrett View Post
Any update on this?
I took my car in for the 45K maintenance and again complained about the wind noise.

All previous attempts to get this fixed were met with either "it's normal", or "could not reproduce".

This time (thanks to this forum), I worded it differently; I just said it sounds like the front driver and passenger windows were not sealing properly and that there is a lot of noise at the top-rear of the windows.

They "confirmed" the issue and they replaced both window guides:

51 33 7 258 325
51 33 7 258 326

Inspecting the installation shows that at the top end of the door where the seal slides over the is very much tighter than my previous seals were.

Initial results were very positive, but it's hard to say how much difference there is on short trips in traffic. But the difference was easily noticed by both of us. It's hard to tell sometimes as I think I'm mistaking wind noise with road noise.

We just got back from a long trip (LA-SFO) and I'm very pleased with the reduction in noise over about 10 hours of fast I-5 driving under lots of different road conditions. I think I'm finally past this long-term wind noise nuisance!

Notes:

1. Over a really good road surface (there actually is some on I-5 theses days), the car is virtually silent; It's never been this quiet before. I very pleased with this.

2. Over bad/patched/grooved sections (still lots of those on I-5), the increase in road noise is huge and probably amplified by the run-flats. I think a component of the road noise manifests itself as wind noise, but isn't. It may be just the sound bouncing off the windows.

So, if you can show your SA that you have a gap between the glass and the seal at the back of the windows and/or report that it sounds like the window glass is not sealing properly, maybe having the window guides replaced will fix the issue for you. It did for me.
I sold my car so there was no resolution on mine.

It's a very easy thing to demonstrate. Get some painters tape and tape the top 6 inches of the driver and passenger windows backtop corners. Go for a drive it'll be silent. Videotape it. Remove the tape and go for a drive you'll hear the wind vacuum noise. Videotape it.

T
Appreciate 1
      Today, 01:47 AM   #861
NordicBob
Drives 2013 Black sapphire F30 M Sport sedan
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335 M Sport sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mangler View Post
I sold my car so there was no resolution on mine.

T
What car car did you replace your's with?
      Today, 09:09 PM   #862
brybarrett
Rep
Drives: 2014 328 M-Sport

Possible this fix for a honda accord could work for us!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZL6yNho8ng

Last edited by brybarrett; Today at 09:17 PM.
Appreciate 0